My Electric Mistress

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steadygarcia, Apr 16, 2008.

1. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Has anyone ever converted their vintage Electric Mistress to true bypass? My switch is toasted, so I bought a new switch for it. Since they were also selling a DPDT switch to convert it to TB, I bought one of those as well (bought the stock switch also, just in case). I have hunted around online for a schematic, but have been unable to find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Cheers!

2. Sandro

Sandro Member

3. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I don't know what happened - my message doesn't show up in the original post for some reason. Very odd. Here it is:
    Has anyone ever converted their vintage Electric Mistress to true bypass? My switch is toasted, so I bought a new switch for it. Since they were also selling a DPDT switch to convert it to TB, I bought one of those as well (bought the stock switch also, just in case). I have hunted around online for a schematic, but have been unable to find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Cheers!

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

5. meterman

meterman Member

I would send it off to Howard Davis EE. He designed it and can repair and tune them up beautifully. I have a '77 EM that sounded horrible due to the previous owner getting the trimpots all out of whack. Howard true-bypassed it, cleaned it up and set all the trimmers correctly and now it sounds great. Reasonable charge too, forget exactly....

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Sounds great - do you have any contact info for Howard? I'll try Googling him.

7. meterman

meterman Member

I probably do at home but you can find him online just as easy. Quick turnaround and the guy really resurrected mine from useless to beautiful for about $50. You may not need all that, I think just to TB it was like $15...good luck, it's a great pedal. I just wish it wasn't so big, and that's the original smaller version! I had a Deluxe too, pretty different tone from the standard version, I like the standard better. Wish someone like Retro-Sonic would make a clone in a small, quiet box. I've not found another analog pedal that does flange, chorus and even a leslie sim as well as my EM...

8. geetarman

geetarman Member

9. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

That just might happen.... I have my fingers crossed too.

10. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

11. geetarman

geetarman Member

12. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I found him and got hold of him - thanks. I'm going to send my pedal over for him to tweak it into flange heaven.
    Thanks!

13. cray2008

cray2008 Member

I have the original mistress from the 70s, the andy summers one-not the deluxe. I had it modded by erich holden at Dice works and it is awesome now. He is on ebay....he changed it to true bypass, changed adapter to boss style, added and LED and added an internal volume adjustment knob. No more loss of volume.

14. exit

exit Member

Could you send me some link to Erich Holden? How much did you pay for his work? Thanks.