My Ernie Ball Steve Morse arrived...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by VegasGreg, Aug 20, 2005.

1. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Not everybody's cup-o-joe, but boy do I love this guitar!

It plays and sounds great, and there is just something about these Ernie Ball guitars...it's like I'm never afraid to really beat them up. They just always seem to be made like tanks.

And BTW-although the switching system looks complex, once you play the guitar for about 5 minutes, it becomes easy. It's actually set up in a very useful way-easy to use while your playing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ABKB

ABKB Member

I was always curious about those gits. I know Morse has always used that type, but the tailpieces on them look cheap. What is the switching system on that thing? Nice new axe Vegas! Congrats!

3. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

The tailpiece as actually a big chunk of brass. Very heavy duty, and works great.

The switching works like this. FIgure the bridge pickup is #1 and the Neck pickup is #4:

The blade switch is a 3 way. It lets you select #1, #4, and #2 (in that order). It seems strange because it doesn't go in order like a typical blade switch might, but it works.

The front toggle is a 2-way. It acts as a "blower" switch that will add the Bridge pickup (#1) to whatever else happens to be set.

The back toggle is a 3 way. The first position (down) makes the blade switch and the 2 way toggle active. The middle position adds in the pickup #3 to whatever is set on the blade switch. The third position just gives you pickup #3 by itself.

Then you also have the Master Volume and Master tone to use, of course.

Yes, like I said, I know it sounds complicated. But once you play it for a little while it actually becomes very easy and useful. The switches are all in great positions on the guitar for quick switching while playing.

4. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

That's cool! I've always liked Ernie Ball guitars. The only thing I'd change is the position of the front toggle. Does it get in the way?

5. ABKB

ABKB Member

Ok, I can see how that would work, especially for switching back and forth between humbucking and single coil modes, makes it kinda easy, in a complicated way of course ;)

Enjoy it man!

6. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

That's the FIRST thing I needed to see on this guitar! I had to sell my Petrucci guitars because the ONE toggle got in my way-and this guitar is more complex.

Happily, none of the switches get in my way with this. Ergonomics work well for me. But you really need to try one for yourself before you buy one, to be sure it works for you.

7. mooch

mooch Member

I sold my petrucci because the front toggle got in my way. This guitar looks like it is in the same position. I guess maybe it is just slightly different and may work. I will have to give it a try.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

There was a thread awhile back asking about the best quality off-the-shelf gtrs. Ernie Ball/Music Man was one of the top companies mentioned. That means something considering the age and experience most of TGP members.

I love my Steve Morse, it's my go-to gtr. You can lots of sounds out of it. Often times on gtrs with taps and/or hummers & single coils the db's seem to drop as you flip between hum and single. That does not occur on the SM.

Not only is it sonically well balanced, it is physically well balanced. You can put it on your leg and let go and it will stay perfectly straight with no hands.

There is nothing hard about the switches and if you don't want to use them, you don't have to, just use the blade toggle. I notice that Steve uses the blade toggle most of the time. I've never seen him use the toggle for the one single coil which is probably why it's not included in the new model.

Enjoy VegasGreg.

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

EBMM make some stellar guitars. Enjoy!

10. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Huge Morse fan here-I have always had an interest in the Morse model, but couldn't get past the Blueburst finish. Now that you can get them in different (read: non-ugly) finishes, I think I need one. I actually have my eye on the Morse I want-I've been watching it for a little while.
    EB/MMs have the strongest quality/price ratio of any mass market guitar, IMO. My Axis Super Sport with a SOLID rosewood neck was $1150 NEW. Untouchable.
    That's a great looking finish-love the pickguard too.
    How do you find the string spacing?

11. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

A little wider than my Hamers. Almost exactly the same as my Nik Huber.

I prefer string spacing like this...very comfortable.

12. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Why would you show that off?

Now I just think it's the coolest thing I've ever laid eyes on!! Congratulations!!

Mike:dude

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I Love Erinie Ball Music mans......especially that model........But I just wish EB offered a bigger neck version for us Club lovers. PRS does this..........Nothing like the hand rubbed finish on a Ernie ball maple Neck. :dude

Post some clips if you can!

14. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I've had two SMs and they were both among the best feeling/playing guitars i have ever played. Outstanding guitars and a great value.

15. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Beautiful guitar, Greg! I really like that color/pickguard combo! You'll have to drop by the Ernie Ball Music Man Guitar Forum and share a couple pics with us there!

Congrats! :dude

16. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Already did!

In fact, I think I'll be at the Factory Tour.

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I think those are the coolest guitars. I'd love to have one someday.

18. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

So I'm sitting here in my cubical looking at every possible place that sells these things. GREAT! That's all can do - think about buying a Steve Morse model. I'm diggin' the Morse blueburst with a white/pearl guard and Floyd.

Mike:dude

19. carltonh

carltonh Member

Not much on the Steve Morse model on TGP. Has anyone played both the old sig. and new sig model to compare them?
    Also, what type of sounds do they get. Don't just say lots... I know they can get chunky rock and sort of Telecaster twangy, but can anyone give more specifics? Any unusual sounds or sound combinations with the odd pickup arrangements? ...Hopefully someone can give more details than saying, "Listen to Steve Morse" because I don't think I'd sound the same playing it as he does, so comparisons to standard guitar tones instead of players would be a better description.

20. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I'm loving that guitar, but I'm stuck on 24-fret boards. A friend was thinking about buying a Morse-sig. I was probably more disappointed than he was when he decided not to. I'd love to get my hands on one for a while. Congrats!