My Ernie Ball VP is sucking some of my highs away-- not acceptable! Help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elkym, Feb 22, 2009.

1. elkym

elkym Member

Can I replace the pot and get a brighter tone?

What pot value usually comes in them? Can I use any pot to replace it?

2. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I had to place an eq pedal before it to pass the signal loud and clear. It was sucking the high end out of my tone also. I have the 25k cause it takes hot signals better. I use EMGs. The eq solved the problem.

3. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

Put a buffer or buffered pedal like a Boss or Ibanez and the buffer will reduce the tone sucking of the volume pedal. Works like a charm.

4. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

Hey,

Why not use the treble bleed cap setup strat players have been using for ages? It might work!

5. elkym

elkym Member

Treble Bleed cap... smart... thanks! We'll try that first-- I have everything I need for it.

6. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I tried the buffer pedal before the volume....did not work, the eq works great though, but I guess it depends on your set up.

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Make sure you are using the high impedance EB pedal any time you use it for guitar. The low impedance one is only for line level (keyboards, pro audio, some effects loops). Don't believe what you read about using the low impedance after effects, always use the high impedance.

8. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

would this one be the one with the 250k pot?
    ive read some reviews that hot signals from guitars with this volume pedal is too much for the pedal to handdle, hence the 25k version which takes
    hot guitar signals with no problem (EMGs and other active pups).

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

or get a decent volume pedal.
    My Dunlop High Gain Volume pedal has zero effect on tone no matter where I place it.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

elkym - how are you using the volume pedal? First in line, or later in the chain? Are you using the tuner out? That will - if the pedal is placed first in line - kill the treble, the same way an old non-TB wah does. Placing a buffered pedal (Boss, Ibanez etc) in front of the volume pedal will help, but try disconnecting the tuner first (if you have one there).

The 250K ("passive" or "H") model will work both first in line and after buffered pedals or with active pickups. The 25K ("active" or "L") model will only work properly with low impedance ("buffered/active") signals, so don't get that one unless you are sure it will work with your particular setup, and that you will never want to move it around or try it first in line. Like Mike said, for almost all guitarists, the 250K version is the one to use.

/Andreas

11. elkym

elkym Member

It's in the middle of the line-- in fact it's the last thing before I hit the amp-- I only use it as a kill switch and occasionally for swells, for a synth type sound. I have no buffered pedals, mostly because no buffered pedals have interested me-- and I don't perceive buying any soon... soo... yeah...

12. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

That's weird - buffered or not, as soon as you activate a pedal, its output will be low impedance. So the treble loss should only be apparent when all pedals are bypassed - in which case, if all the pedals are true bypass, you'd be losing some high end even without the volume pedal.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

How are you deciding it is the volume pedal? Have you tried using a looper (AB box) and switch back and forth? Also, are you using the tuner out on the EB?

I have one, and AB'ed mine ( I don't use the tuner out, and I have mine after TB Od's, etc.) and there was no tone suckage going on with mine.

250k model.

14. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I put mine in a true bypass loop. Seems a little excessive, but, if you only use it as an 'effect' for swells and stuff, may as well go where I put the other effects. Takes care of the tone loss from the extra cable length to it as well.

15. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Roll up the High's on your amp to a suitable sound

16. elkym

elkym Member

Rolling up the high's on the amp hasn't helped... I'm running George L's already and I've done a test with a 6 foot cable into the amp direct, and then the same cable plus and 8 inch patch into the volume pedal sitting on top of the amp.

:dunno I'll figure something out.

17. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

And the solution was? I'm having similar issues, wondering if you solved it?
    Kurt

18. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

I put mine in the loop of my tim. That way the Tim buffers the signal. It's like having a TB volume pedal that is always buffered.

19. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

I hate these things...

As stated before about the tuner out...the signal is always going through the tuner out before it goes to the main out...Try this: just use the volume pedal, plug your guitar in and then instead of using the normal out use the tuner out to your amp...give it a go in both toe up and heel down positions...you'll notice no difference in the output...

the volume pot comes after the tuner out sections on the board so it only works to mute the pedals main out not the tuner out...tuner out is always on and not isolated. If your using an actual tuner there you be losing alot of treble right off the go...

20. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

the vp is the 250k...what type of guitar are you using? You can buy a replacement pot...I would install a 500k pot and it might solve your problems...$30 fix and your time

As I stated earlierin another thread; if you total cable length is over 30ft you'll need a buffer...you loose treble, bass, and volume...