My Evil Robot amp is a Dead Robot amp help!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Goldstrat, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

Wondering if anyone has experience working on the Evil Robot Chinese version? All tubes light up and test good but I have no sound at all. The board looks fine with no obvious problems. I tried the speaker out and no sound either. Tubes, LED's and fan all work. I should have known better.

2. xtian

xtian Member

Any other fuses on the board? Common for HT to be fused separately, so you might see all heaters and panel lamps alight, but no sound. Testing with a voltmeter is next. What's your experience level?

3. Goldstrat

I can't find any other fuses on the board. I am not a tech but I have built a 5e3 and I do my own bias etc. I do know how to safely work in a tube amp. All the LEDS are lit and tubes. I tested each tube in a SE amp and they all work. I plugged in an external speaker and no sound then plugged in the effects loop to see if it made a noise and nothing.

4. RiftAmps

RiftAmps Member

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Wouldn't this be under warranty?

6. Goldstrat

I got it in a trade with a Les Paul and it worked for about 1 hour before it died. I did contact Kasha amps and he told me to try a few things then said if I want to send it to him it is $150 an hour. As far as I am concerned the amp isn't worth $150. I will never buy another imported circuit board amp. All of my other amps are handwired type amps and I can usually fix them myself.

7. Goldstrat

It looks like there is no voltage on pin 3 of the power tubes so I guess that answers my question. Thanks for all the help!

8. Goldstrat

Thank you for all the advice. This turned out to be 2 fried resistors on the bottom side of the board. Had to take the whole thing apart flip it over then it was obvious.