My experience transitioning from solderless to soldered cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by john l, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

I’ve had George L’s, which were not great. Switched to Lava cables and the tone was better, but the failure rate was just as bad. (Basically if you ever switched pedals out or moved cables around they would start to fail).

I moved to Mogami 2319 and GLS/Switchcraft plugs and it was a huge upgrade to Tone and reliability.

In the last year I moved to a much smaller pedalboard, so decided to try out the Evidence Audio SIS and Monorail Kit. I didn’t notice a huge change in tone and they were so fast and easy to set up. I haven’t had a cable that didn’t work after putting it together yet. No failures either. I’ve contemplated switching back to soldered mogami, but the evidence are so much smaller and faster to make I’m pretty happy with them.

At this point, I really would be happy with either of those two.

jnepo1 and john l like this.
  2. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Hyperbole, personal attacks, efforts to deflect and distract from specious arguments that you advanced yourself - very convincing.

I'm glad that you found cables that work for you though.

3. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

This is just plain weird. The OP stated up front that this was just his opinion and nothing more. I don't get all the attitude. Do you own stock in solderless pedal board cabling? What are you arguing about so passionately? He found something that works for him and he wanted to share, even acknowledging the confirmation bias that might be present in his observations. Why all the vitriol? This isn't an Xbox or a PS4 forum.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Cgkindler, Gallery, CoachD and 3 others like this.
  4. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

More of the same.

But as I indicated, I'm happy that you found cables that work for you.

5. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

The opportunity for you to take the high road, presented itself. But, you just couldn't resist.

Flatscan likes this.
  6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I just switched to Evidence SIS because I would buy entire bags of patch cables where half were bad at the local store, and needed to try something very different. I hadn't soldered anything since I was fourteen and I am way less willing to burn myself now, lol. Then they are so easy, and you could cut them to size, and they look so awesome on boards, and they are fun to put together. And oh yeah, they get consistently great reviews, considering nothing is perfect. Then I stumbled on a deal to buy in bulk..

So I don't require them to be better than soldered, or the best possible cable. I think they are in the ballpark, and are better than what I using before by a long shot. We will see as far as longevity. Not enough experience yet. But the thing is, if one doesn't work, I make another for cheap, or fix the one that isn't working.

I don't think it's that they're great cables as much as they are easy and appealing aside from their quality, and oh yeah, they don't suck.

It is awesome to have one, two, three, and four inch cables, the perfect mix. Or one that can wrap around my board to the other side, etc. They feel good bending them into shape. The ends are so tiny.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

In my personal experience Evidence Solderless have worked better than all my previous soldered cables, not just in sound but in reliability, In around 6 years I've been using evidence I've built around 50-60 cables and never had 1 failure, prior to that I had several patch cables gone wrong, for me it's no contest.

8. john l

john l Supporting Member

Ya seriously what kind of person must I be to not just sit back and take that BS. Thank goodness there are people like you around to keep us all on the straight and narrow. Thanks for your contribution.

9. john l

john l Supporting Member

Thanks for chiming in on topic. I too had tons of bad experiences with pre fab patch cables. Evidence is a big step up from there.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  10. john l

john l Supporting Member

Yeah as I said in my OP I made hundreds of evidence cables and had no failures. Its a very well thought out system. I wonder what my results would have been if I would have utilized the evidence cable but with soldered ends....? May have to revisit this down the road.

hippieboy likes this.
  11. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I honestly think it would be the same, why would it be different?

Sometimes we listen with our eyes, even you mentioned that in the OP, I think sometimes we just want to like something cause it's new, someone else that we admire it's using it, it looks cooler, not necesarily because it's "better" might be the same, that's why blind test are so good... I know I've gone that road, and I think it's ok as long as it really works out in the end, sometimes inspiration comes from those little things that we tell ourselves.

pete692 likes this.
  12. john l

john l Supporting Member

I used to think a cable was cable too but there can be pretty big and very audible differences between the stuff especially when the same type is utilized from the guitar, throughout the board and to the amp. Resistance and capacitance adds up from the beginning to end and the quality of shielding can have a pretty dramatic effect on noise rejection.

13. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Having worked in pro audio and video studios, a cable with an end such as a guitar cable would always be soldered. This is not only for reliability but if you can solder well, you will make a better connection. Having said that, certain video cables that are more critical can sometimes use screw on plugs. An example would be a BNC cable. They are designed in a way that the shielding gets pressed into the threads and the hard copper core gets into the spot it needs to make contact along its length under pressure. Both can be validly done. If I were to choose for instruments and audio, I would go soldered. I'm very good at it, so why not? I am a fan of Evidence Audio though and would keep an open mind and may even try some of their solderless cables. In the past, I bought bulk evidence cable and bags of switch switchworks plugs.

jnepo1, jmoose, Jon C and 1 other person like this.
  14. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I understand that, my comment was not about that. It's ok though.

Flatscan likes this.
  15. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

I wasn't suggesting that you sit back, and take anything. I'm suggesting that you could have made your point, without using fighting words, in a patch cable thread.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Flatscan likes this.
  16. john l

john l Supporting Member

Oh I apologize then. I was addressing where you were saying "why would it be any different"
    Again as I said in my initial post I really wouldn't mind one bit if EA came out on top here so I don't think the placebo effect is running a muck here. God knows that they're much easier to work with then going this route. The difference is not night and day and Im certainly not advocating that anyone run out and do what I did to gain some huge improvement. The eq change cable can impart is 100% subjective. One could even argue that the noise floor being lower could be due to the different way the cables were routed but I doubt that.

hippieboy likes this.
  17. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

There's tons of good stuff out there! Personally I've never used Evidence solderless or George L's (have used Lava w/some failures), but I'm sure it's only as good as whoever puts it together just like soldered cables which I use now with no issues! Not peeing on anyone's parade here, just my experience!

john l likes this.
  18. gtr777

gtr777 Member

I think for a true test you would have to at least use the same cable in order to make a direct comparison. Just the change in cable could make the observations you discovered.

john l likes this.
  19. john l

john l Supporting Member

Very much so and that is what I personally believe Im hearing here. As I said in the OP, this experiment turned out to not be a soldered vs solderless thing as I initially intended but more of a Cable X vs Cable Y sort of thing.

20. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Look at how a Switchcraft 280 or 226 plug is made. The solder lugs are connected to the contacts using a rivet. This is inherently a solderless connection. In fact, there are two solderless connections in each plug. One for the tip and another for the ground. Over time, leverage of the ground lug works the rivet loose and the connections fail.