My Failed Attempt at Shellac'ing

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TastyPasty, Jul 2, 2006.

1. TastyPasty

TastyPasty Member

So... I spent about 3 hours or so trying to shellac my Deville after reading guruyans post and... it did not come out so great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First off, I am a novice, gururyans instructions were great, the problem was that I didn't follow them as well as I should have, nor was I all that careful. Anyway...I did it in somewhat of a rush, which yielded terrible results (namely the top looking like someone barfed on it), the sides looking splotchy and drippy... etc, etc.I could use the "It's a relic!!!" excuse, but I'd much rather have my amp looking like gururyans...

Anyway... is there anything I can do to save it?

Will more coats of shellac solve the problem or do I need to look into re-covering my amp ....:(

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

You can try and remove most of the shellac with some denatured alcohol.
    If your using canned shellac cut it by 1/3 with the alcohol before trying to apply it again.Use a china bristle brush.I use badger hair brushes but they are expensive.Do not overbrush shellac.Try to lay on an even coat in one direction.

3. TastyPasty

TastyPasty Member

Thanks tonezone and BlueJakester.

4. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

The beauty of shelac is that it is easily reversible. It is a bit more difficult to apply than your garden variety varnish, but the results are worth it. Don't try to push it around. Try to let it flow out of your brush and let it sit. This takes a bit of practice, so you might want to work on scrap for a bit to get the feel. I think you can get it in spray cans which might be a bit easier to apply, but it will take more coats. Best of luck!

5. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Oops, I found the other thread and he used spray for the top coats. Anyway, good luck.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

That reminds me of what my father said to me one time when I painted the fence. "That's quite a mess you made there, sunshine!"

:)

It sounds like you'll be able to get this shellac off alright. I do have to ask why you'd want to bother with putting it on in the first place?

7. brad347

brad347 Member

reminds me of something my dad used to tell me:

"One learnin's worth two tellin's"

take yr time grasshopper :D

Damn I sound old.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

You might try straight denatured alcohol to pull some of the thick spots down to the thin spots. That worked for me when I shelaced a cane grill. The alcohol dries so fast that is the reason you can't work the stuff even.

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

How wide is your brush? It appears to be a narrow one, as you're not getting a consistent stoke apparently. Also, that baffleboard should pop right out. Keep us updated!

10. Rich M

Rich M Member

Looking at the photo, it looks like the shellac has filled in the low spots, no? You may want to blot the stuff out with an alcohol soaked rag. Good luck!

11. TastyPasty

TastyPasty Member

I'm making progress I suppose... I tried the denatured alochol and it worked pretty well in helping me get some of the main splotches out. Now I have a new problem: there are 2-3 spots on the top of my amp that refuse to absorb any shellac. They're significantly lighter than the rest of my amp, but every time I try to brush some shellac on, it just runs to the edges.

Any solutions?

Thanks for all the replies and help by the way.

12. Rich M

Rich M Member

What kind of glue did you use to put the covering on with? Is it possible that some of that soaked through the cloth? Did you have this problem with the first shellacing?

13. Dana

Dana Guest

I actually kind of like it.

Good Job! :AOK