My family staged a full-on intervention for me today

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sausagefingers, May 27, 2019.

1. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

It happens. Don’t give up.

Wrmbrnr, sacakl, SteveO and 3 others like this.
  2. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

It happens, until it doesn't happen anymore. You'll get there, and it DOES get easier

Just an edit to say: I think you realize, of course, that it doesn't happen on its own ;)

Wrmbrnr, SteveO, gigs and 1 other person like this.
  3. pbmw

pbmw Member

I was thinking about this thread this morning.
    A slip up is not a bad thing if you realize it is exactly what it is. A slip up.
    Tells me you're human. Tells me you know what needs to happen and you're working on it. So keep working on it. You're doing fine

SteveO and sausagefingers like this.
  4. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

I've never had a problem with drugs and alcohol but I was a fairly heavy smoker. It took many attempts to quit. Some were feeble and some were in earnest. Eventually I did it. To this day I still have dreams where I bum a smoke or buy a pack and feel totally disgusted with myself. But each time, before the dream ends, I tell myself that I had quit for however many years once and I can do it again, but this next time will be even longer.

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Different but it took three “quits” for me to kick cigs.

Keep trying.

sausagefingers likes this.
  6. lhallam

lhallam Member

Sir, you are an inspiration. Thanks for that.

One does not plan to be addicted, one slips into it and finds oneself there. How did this happen?

7. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Just quoting again. Rough day.

8. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Any time one "slips" something can be learned. Mistakes are much less important compared to what we do to resolve them.
    Continue your battle and yes rough days are part of it.
    Wishing you the best!

sausagefingers, SteveO and 4b454e like this.
  9. RevWillie

RevWillie Gold Supporting Member

That was my experience too on my 1 visit to AA, so I quit on my own. While it worked for me I don't necessarily recommend it to others. I've since gone to AA several times with others long after it was a moot point for me.

You've got to find and do what works for you! But if you don't like this path or that path for this reason or that reason, and keep slipping, then maybe you need something you can't slip with like an in-facility 30 day program.

Cheering for your success Sausage! :dude

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

No apologies necessary.

Everyday you don't drink is a success, relapsing is a normal part of recovery so don't put that pressure on yourself.

Just take it one day at a time.......

11. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

12. Metalflange

Metalflange Supporting Member

I'd recommend heading to a local Celebrate Recovery or an AA meeting. The biggest goal is to see and the underlying reasons your drinking and then face the challenges of the emotional weight associated with that. If you need support pm me I do not have an issue with drinking myself but I have seen many people healed from it and may have some further advice to share I would like to keep private.

13. Metalflange

Metalflange Supporting Member

I also think the biggest thing is your not a screw-up things in your life caused you to imbibe at a high level. You can resolve those things and let the bottle go. Be very careful who you share this struggle with most people can't understand and may cause much undo hurt and pain to you. Be very careful who you extend trust to make sure the people around you watch the movie My name is Bill W. So they can understand this isn't you deciding to drink. Just like someone sick with Cancer you have a dis-ease except in this case their is no magic pill other than community. Being around people who have overcome this will serve you so well in the journey. Remember everyone really cares for you people who don't care don't say anything trust that even tho it's embarrassing and painful right now they do have your best interest in mind! You are not alone in this you have what it takes to overcome this!

14. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Oh, let’s make it a meeting.
    At a meeting, I heard this gem:

Alcoholic 1: did you hear? There’s a new drug. You take one pill and it cures your alcoholism. You’ll never drink again, no more cravings - done. And, no - it doesn’t cure you by killing you. It just cures it.

Alcoholic 2: whoa, that is incredible. What if you take two?!

15. michael razor

michael razor Member

If one is good two is Twice as Good!!! :D

sausagefingers and 4b454e like this.
  16. SteveO

SteveO Member

I can't even count how many times I slipped before something finally clicked and I was able to make it stick. Even after rehab I had about a six month period where anything could happen, and it was a daily struggle to stay the course (and I wasn't always successful!). Then one day, it simply just happened. Don't know why, don't know how, but all of a sudden it wasn't a battle anymore.

You can do this. If I could make it happen, you most certainly can as well.

17. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

One day I just decided drinking everyday was wasting my life away.....stopped drinking and smoking that day and only drank one time after that when I got into a bar room fight and needed a few to calm down then never again.

Smoking was a lot harder to quit than booze...

sausagefingers and 4b454e like this.
  18. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Bob Daisley...

19. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i think "slips" are really the only way you can learn. that can be a real slap in the face, and make you think "oh yeah, that's why i quit in the first place". a better lesson than you'll get from someone with years of sobriety repeating the same mindless cliches over and over.

Porfirio, sausagefingers and bluesoul like this.
  20. SteveO

SteveO Member

Something else that doesn't get as much attention is the fact that sobriety requires a fairly significant lifestyle change. Not just the drinking part, but being aware of the things in your life that have come to be associated with drinking (AKA "triggers"). It could be a major change, such as disassociating yourself from drinking buddies, or it can be seemingly trivial things like rearranging the furniture so that your favorite place to sit and drink is no longer there.