My favorite cheap pedal (clip)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thedroid, Feb 7, 2008.

1. thedroid

thedroid Member

There was a thread awhile back about good pedals for Stones/Faces type tones. The EHX Nano Muff produces some nice dirty 70s rhythm sounds with single coils and Fender-style amps. I did this clip with a DRRI and two guitars: an Epi 56 Goldtop RI and a MIM Strat. Amp volume is all the way down. Guitar volume either 9 or 10. Not half bad for $40.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=803003

2. KBN

KBN Member

Very cool.

3. thedroid

thedroid Member

4. guybrush

guybrush Member

I'm at work so I can't listen to the clip, but yeah, I heard a lot of bad things about it until I tried one - I loved that nasty-ish tone. I'll buy one eventually for sure.

Have you tried stacking it? I got great results...

5. thedroid

thedroid Member

I've stacked it into an RC booster, which gives it a bit more sparkle. The bass knob on the RC also changes the character of the Muff's fuzz quite a bit. Bass all the way down turns it into a Satisfaction type fuzz. The Nano Muff doesn't like to have anything stacked into it in general, but I did discover that the AC booster with the gain off, treble all the way down, bass all the way up, and volume at 9:00 will turn the Nano Muff into a higher gain fuzz. Anything else in front will just make it a screeching mess.

6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Sounds nothing like the regular Big Muff, but w/ the style you're playing that's a good thing! Nice riffin' :AOK

7. thedroid

thedroid Member

Thanks. It's nothing like a Big Muff. It's supposed to be a reissue of a pedal called the Muff Fuzz that predates the Big Muff -- it was a little box with a 1/4" plug on it that plugged into the amp input. It and the LPB-1 were the first EHX products. They now call it the Nano Muff Overdrive, I think to let people know it's not a high-gain pedal, but it's not an overdrive either: just a low-gain fuzz.