My favorite NAMM Video So Far

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stinky Kitty, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

The oracle speaks. Love his demo of the CA bridge. CLANK! Begins at 8:15

2. pbmw

pbmw Member

I like how he says there ain't no magic.
    Truth.
    It's just engineering.
    There are no fairy tales...
    Descriptions of tone are completely subjective.
    Awesome interview.

3. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Mass manufacturing almost guarantees that "magic" is an impossibility. And if you're in the business of mass manufacturing instruments and amplifiers, of course you're going to dismiss the notion that an individual craftsman can create something special that your overseas and/or mechanical assembly lines cannot.

4. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

I read a review of a Jonathan Wilson GVCG 57 Tele by a life-long Tele fanatic who has owned multiple, multiple vintage 50's Teles and his description painted the picture of a magical guitar built by someone with almost supernatural skills. Hartley can't wrap his mind around that.

5. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

http://teebalicious.com/2012/01/20/human-capital-and-the-craftsmans-dillema/

:hide:beer

6. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Great link, exactly.

Funny what he says about being in it for the long run - back in the early 80's when I was going to High School, Peavey was a punchline, a product you bought because it's what you could afford but was devoid of cool. Their advertisements were always really cheesy - never really understood why we bagged on their gear so much.

But watching the video above, I feel a lot better about it in retrospect :mob

7. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

Hartley has custom-built, higher-end amps available and for awhile, did the custom shop guitar thing as good as anyone with their HP Specials. There is room for both manufacturers like Peavey and Yamaha and smaller builders. When Hartley speaks about there being no "magic" to building guitars and amps, I'll hedge my bet he's talking about instruments that are priced for the average, working and recreational musician. That's where Peavey butters their bread.

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

The Peavey stuff has always been good. It is all built like a tank. Lasts for ever and holds up over time.

9. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I still have a Peavey amp my folks got me when I was 15...used it this past Saturday when I needed a low volume amp that sounded great clean...still kicking...

Heck, I love old Special 130's, Bandit 65's...if you're into classic country, they're awesome

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

Special 130 is my first amp in U.S.... it's my rehearsal amp in NYC now.

Tomo

11. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I used a Peavey Classic 120/120 for years in my rack. Regardless of what Hartley says that thing has serious mojo. The 120/120 is a totally underrated rack amp Love that thing.

12. epluribus

epluribus Member

Remarkable guy, remarkable company. Great vid!

--Ray

13. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I remember you mentioning that...those are great amps.

14. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

This is absolute nonsense. The vintage fenders so coveted for their mojo were designed to be easier to manufacture by the semi-skilled labor available in CA at the time. You think they were matching bodies and necks for optimal tone in Fullerton in 1957?

15. epluribus

epluribus Member

Gasp. Say it ain't so Joe.

--Stephen Wright

16. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

Thanks for posting this. I wouldn't have caught it.

Hartley does know his ****. Much more respect for him on his overall take on things.

What I don't like is his lack of regard for quality. Being that he seems to be so keen on providing the best available within his capacity. Really? you're telling me you never sell cheap beginner style instruments? But they're entry level? Well so was my '56 LP junior in it's time, and yet its build quality rivals that of many top tier brands of today? So whats the excuse there? He says that you don't necessarily get more when you pay more? Well is Peavy offering more for less? I'm not seeing it sorry?

Peavey is NOT considered a luxury or high-end quality brand. And yet Hartley really encourages on educating his customers so that they better appreciate the companies offerings? I am a musician, I have worked retail music, why is my perception of the brand to be second rate? Serious question.
    Is it because every PA in any school growing up had peavy speakers? or is it because we all had knock off strats growing up that said Peavy on the headstock?
    I am a firm believer in well designed product made with, and this is the key point, quality materials. Even when it doesn't matter. All aspects should be of the highest quality, just 'cause. With Peavey, as a brand, I see a bunch of great product, but with corners being cut just like most other manufacturers.
    Just my view.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  17. MES10

MES10 Member

Hartley Peavey is a pioneer in the musical instrument business. He built his business by offering a good product at a fair price. Peavey offers us his best products within any given price point. If any manufacturer is not trying to hit many price points, they aren't really trying. That's just the way it is. I'm not talking about a one or two man opperation making 20 guitars (or amps) a year, I'm talking about an honest to goodness factory. The kind of place that employees hundreds of people and allows them to provide for their families. I know he produces overseas as well as in the US, but again this is a price point issue. Let's face it, Hartley has given many of us the opportunity to buy some really nice gear without going broke. I've never met Mr. Peavey, but I'd like to shake his hand and thank him for all of his work over the past 40 plus years.