My fellow TGP gun nuts, what's up?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hogy, May 5, 2016.

1. hogy

hogy Member

We haven't had a decent gun thread in a while. Well, at least not a hand gun thread.

What have you guys been up to? Any new range toys?

I found a gun I must have, a new SIG 1911 stainless Super Target. Sample pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fondled one at a local gun shop and that grip feels absolutely amazing. I don't know if it's a function of the grip, but the gun feels super light in the hand. Pretty sure it's all steel, but it felt significantly lighter than my "regular" 1911s. I'm going to buy one of those soon...

I've also been shooting my modded CZ 75B a lot lately and fell in love with it all over again. So now a CZ 97 (.45acp version) is on my radar, but those are hard to come by. The stuff I read about them on the CZ Forum is giving me major GAS.

On the revolver front, I've been fine tuning ammo for my S&W 625 .45acp revolver, and that thing just keeps shooting better and better. I'm in love with this gun, so much so that I bought another one at a gun show. Took it home to clean it and noticed it had a bulge in the barrel inside the frame where you can't see it. Somebody fired onto a stuck squib load. Trash. The seller was nice enough to take it back, so I dodged that bullet (hah!). I still want another one if I find one.

Finally, got a revolver that has been on my radar for a very long time, a German made Korth. Not many here will even know what it is, but I can say without exaggeration that it makes a Colt Python look like a highschool shop project. I have never seen precision like this.

So there you have it. What's new with you guys?

TKIV, AndyBurns, candid_x and 29 others like this.
  2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Nice. I just got a Remington R1 Carry government size and I love it!

Gus54 and Scrapperz like this.
  3. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Picked up a Sig P320 in 9mm early in the winter time. The trigger is damn good (my super gun nut buddy said the same). Got a Sig SP2022 (9mm also) and I like the grip a little better but the trigger is not as good (the reset is interesting as I notice two clicks on the way to reset). Got a great price on both and have 5 mags for each one. Pretty happy to have those two along with my Glock 17 and 19).

4. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

I have my Cali CCW date in three months. I'm good to go most states other than here so I've been learning the ins and outs on my motorcycle trips. When thought of simply as a tool (the gun, not me) I've always been a huge G19 fan, but I learned last weekend that it's a burden in anything other than cool weather. Caught myself from time to time just locking it in the saddlebags, that will never do. Next weekend I'll take the G42, the .380 with the old reliable Hydra Shoks has really impressive stats approaching some 9mm stuff. I'll admit despite shooting my entire life I am a newbie to the CCW world, certainly a learning curve and one that's steeper due to the California laws. If the G42 packs well I'll probably get a G43.

5. LDS22

LDS22 grapes Silver Supporting Member

^^^ hey Lance. I carry the G30 most of the time based on hogy's reports and really love it

massacre and ACfixer like this.
  6. LDS22

buddy of mine favors the 26 and it's a good shooter but not much smaller than the 30[sf]

7. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

That SIG 1911 is nice! My favorite is still my plinky Ruger Mark III haha. Dad has a Glock 17 in 9mm and those are great too. Very easy to shoot. But that SIG is the bees knees

8. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Just got a Ruger Mini 14 in 300 Blackout. My new hog gun.

9. LDS22

oh, and to the OP:
    i've seen your revolver scores so here is my latest: long story short, my brother is bringing this 619 to me next week. he asked if I needed one. of course I said yes so he sent me the pic and said "i'll bring you pop's." pop was our grandfather that passed a few years ago and left a lot of cool stuff that we pass around. better pics when I get my hands on it:

[​IMG]

only thing is I thought the 619 is a 7 shot? I figured this was older than '05. maybe it's not a 619 4"?

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That is among the best looking 1911 types I've seen, and as a Sig fan, the one I'd grab it too if I was in the market for another S/A. I'm guessing they also make a combat type variant with a low profile non-adjustable rear sight?

And I remember Korth. They've been around for a while and were always quite expensive. I seem to recall them offering an unusual revolver configuration of some sort as well as their traditional designs, but maybe I'm confusing them with another builder.

Anyway, stellar stuff as usual, and I keep meaning to get you those S&W pics I so long ago promised (3" 625 and factory engraved p & r 629), so thanks for jogging my tired mind!

11. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I just learned that CMP is allowing optics on matches with ARs. I'm quite excited about that.

12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Lifelong SIG fanboi here and I'm really tiring of their trying to be all things to all people. Nothing they make outside of the classic P-series comes close to the classic P-series. I've had an SP 2340, SP 2020, P320, two of their 1911s and, frankly, none of them come close to the fit, finish and quality of my many P220s, P226s, P229s, P239s, etc. Stick with what you do well and leave the rest to others. Sheesh. Though I love my SIG 556 SWAT Patrol too. Very badass. I got to shoot a full auto 551 at a SIG-sponsored event about 10 yrs. ago. Also very badass.

candid_x, bluesjuke, Bart and 2 others like this.
  13. LDS22

^^^ model 19?

dallasblues likes this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I used to work with guns, but it's been about 20 years:

[​IMG]

The bore diameter is 5 inches.

I also worked on his little buddy, the CIWS (sea wiz):

[​IMG]

20mm rounds of depleted Uranium that will cut through the hull of an aircraft like a hot knife through butter.

15. LDS22

you’ve been on the SIGs for a while so I asked my buddy to bring out his 226. I’ve never touched one or read much more about SIG than what has been posted here. first thing he said when I asked about it was “oh, I love that pistol!” finally shot it and get the hype. It just felt a little different, maybe uniquely SIG? a weight/balance thing. I could get used to it for sure. didn’t care for the rear sight but that’s pretty easy

16. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

The classic P-series SIG have a design and functionality that are not for everyone, but are just perfection for those who "get" those features. The decocker, the grip ergs, the reliability simply can't be beaten. My P226 is just a little too bulky for CCW work, but it's perfect to open carry when out on the bike or on horseback. My main P220 has north of 11k rounds through it and is just insanely accurate and reliable.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  17. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    X-Five 9mm. Finest pistol I've ever owned.

SIGs are good, mkay?

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    TKIV, RussB, candid_x and 10 others like this.
  18. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

I got turned on to medium range precision rifles late in life, and I really regret missing out on that activity all those years. The handgun ranges feel flaccid and lifeless to me now.

A lifetime of free handgun ammo will do that to you.

These days I only shoot handguns enough to maintain proficiency. Most of my time is spent with a scoped rifle on the longest ranges easily available, which for me is 300 yards. The handloading challenge has opened up exponentially, since there are so many more elements to deal with and you can test your results so much better. I can spend hours in front of the single stage press these days!

I will post up some pictures when I get a chance. I didn't know there were any gun people on TGP.

deathrider817, LDS22 and nsureit like this.
  19. LDS22

I like how it had its own feel. I just don't have one yet :)

same thing for my buddy on carry; travel/car pistol or open carry hike. and said he will never get rid of it.

20. hogy

hogy Member

I don't know, I've been carrying a Glock 30S (.45acp) for several years now, IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I completely forget it's even there. I even carry it when kayaking and it has never bothered me. Even took it for a swim a few times (involuntary), that's why I love a Glock. It doesn't care. I used to carry a S&W revolver, and when I dunked it, it ruined my day. The Glock gets taken apart and set out in the sun for 30 minutes and we're good to go.

Gus54, strike3, NamaEnsou and 2 others like this.