1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

My first build.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by IIIBOOMERIII, Jan 13, 2008.

1. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

Well I did it. I bought a AA764 blackface rebuild kit from
    triodestore.com. I have been enjoying the hell out of it.
    I just started it Saturday night, so wish me luck. With
    the layout and a turret board it seems really easy to follow
    so far. I stripped everything out of my VJ JR head and I am
    using it for the chassis. Yes, it will be a head. Again wish
    me luck. :BEER

2. evacuated

evacuated Member

Looking good so far ;) . Once you build one you're gonna get hooked! What kind of speaker are you going to use?

3. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I know....I am not even done yet and I am already thinking about building
    the BF-Vibro-Champ or the 5e3.

4. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

I've always thought about buying a kit and trying to build the amp myself. What kind of skill level do you need to be able to put one of these things together? What about tools needed?

Perhaps I should try to build a 'simple' one first...which one would that be?

Anyway, I've always thought it be fun...plus you would also form a bond with your amp. :)

5. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Champ builds are a good start...especially tweed champ!

I'm looking to do a 5E3 for myself next. I've done probably a half dozen champs for friends and family. Then jumped into a Super Reverb (huge jump - not recommended) and just finished a Trainwreck style kit from Ceriatone.

I'd like to make a 5E3 that would be on the level with a boutique builder 5E3. I'm just not sure who's kit to get.

6. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

Yo Raven,

Tell me about the TW kit. I have looked at the schems and the TW looks
    like a less is more kind of circuit, not a lot of parts. Does it sound good?

7. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Ken Fisher did in fact design the amp with a less is more mindset. Master volumes and other mods change the sound of the amp so much, that any change makes it a completely different amp.

It sounds good, but is clearly for an advanced amp builder. Building it is one thing, but "tuning" it to sound good (as Ken did with EACH amp) is a whole different animal.

While I can build the amp by following the layout (paint by numbers if you will), I'm way over my head in the "tuning" department. The TW is so sensitive to the slightest changes, that even lead dress can drastically effect the tone. Not to mention how tube selection can make or break this amp. That is assuming you can even get the amp to fire up first try without major occilation issues, as the TW is built to be on the very edge of stable...which is a major factor in how it works the way it does.

I don't recommend the TW build unless you're a skilled builder and understand how the circut works and what does what. Since I'm still very much a beginner, I have a real love hate thing going with my 'wreck. One day it sounds magical, the next it sounds like some pile of parts slapped together by a blind and deaf man.

Though I have to say Nik of Ceriatone has great customer service. The only thing that hurts with Ceriatone, is the shipping cost. :)

8. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Oh, I forgot to add. The TW is loud as hell. A major part of my novice tuning adventure with this amp has been dedicated to toning down the volume with a smaller cabinet, with inefficient speakers, and probably an Air Brake and/or Hot Plate.

It doesn't start to sound like a TW till it's at least half way up, and just putting it on the number 1 on the dial is loud enough to cause neighbors to hate me.

9. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I have been looking at their 2204 and that does not look so bad.
    Sometimes I wonder if it would be cheaper just to buy all the
    parts instead of a kit.

triodestore.com was the cheapest kit I found but it does not come
    with a chassis, jacks, or tubes. It is really a rebuild kit not a full
    blown build kit. It also only comes with a Fender type layout, no
    pretty colors to look at and all the parts came in one bag-o-parts
    I had to go thru the bag and sort them all out. I guess I got spoiled
    ordering parts from Mouser and each part having it's own bag. I was
    a little freaked out. LOL Thank God for V/O meters cause I can't tell
    what colors are on those damn reistors, man I am getting old...or going
    color blind. LOL

Ed