my first computer.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by culiacant87, Jan 2, 2018.

1. culiacant87

culiacant87 Member

So I'm fkin 30 years old and it's time I get my own computer. I'm very uneducated and the things frustrate me but I gotta get updated with the times.

Since I'm a dummy I'm leaning towards an iMac since I'm told they're less prone to viruses and I hate solving tech problems.

My question to the more tech savvy folks is this: eventually I want to get some kind of interface to record ideas and edit them on the computer. Not talking some big production but basically stuff like recording tracks and listening to the playback while I layer stuff on, and being able to edit them. Would the $1500ish model be enough for that? Something like 8 gigastuff and 1 terabyte is what I think it has.

I don't game, and apart from the standard uses for a computer and being able to occasionally order a ppv fight or movie, that's about all I would use it for until I up my tech awareness.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys and gals.

2. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Get plenty of RAM (16). Get the most powerful processor you can afford. Lots of PC's these days have two drives, a smaller solid state you can run your programs with and a larger (1tb or bigger) where you can store your files. I bought this last summer as I was doing a fair amount of video editing for work. It's a bit of a monster size wize, but is great for what I need and would make a wonderful recording computer. http://www.microcenter.com/product/474127/G221_Desktop_Computer

JiveJust and culiacant87 like this.
  3. jomama2

jomama2 Member

No. It would be too much. You can get a very good machine for $1000ish if not less. And if worries about viruses are the only reason you're going Mac vs PC, I'd think twice. Unless you're a complete idiot (and I seriously doubt that), the odds of you ever getting a virus are very small. It's something people always suspect when they have a problem and it's almost never the case, again unless one is really dumb. My point is that as much as I hate Windows 10 for other reasons, you can get more bang for your buck computer-wise by going Windows instead of Mac. (And you can still get new PCs with Windows 7 which is about 100 times better than 10). g/l

4. xcc

xcc Member

If you’re fairly computer illiterate, an iMac is a great way to go. There’s a reason Macs have been the standard for audio forever. Plus you get all of the audio software you need built on and ready to go with GarageBand.

You don’t need an expensive model for your purposes. Just get the best you can afford. That and a decent usb audio interface (and good headphones or speakers) is all you need. The $100 Focusrite interfaces are solid.

5. cmstrat

cmstrat Member

Completely agree with the above, for what my opinion is worth

6. biagio1957

biagio1957 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been on Windows machines forever, but you might consider a Mac Mini. With a focusrite usb interface, keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc, you might be right at $1000 total and your tech frustration level will be relatively low (although PCs with Windows have come a long way).

Plus if you decide to can the whole idea, you can sell that Mac Mini pretty quickly.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini

7. xcc

xcc Member

Yep. A Mini is a great option as well. That’s a good point regarding resellability. Macs hold their value like crazy. Makes it fairly painless when you feel the need to upgrade.

8. culiacant87

culiacant87 Member

Thanks for the input guys. Good things to consider. I looked at the mac mini and the price kinda scared me for being so low but it might work. Gotta research pc too its just that our work pos system is windows and it had plenty of issues that i had no idea how to fix but that could just be the model.

9. tribedescribe

tribedescribe Member

Having used macs and pc's extensively both are very capable studio machines for most users. However I think a mac would be a better choice for you because its ease of use. The best value mac to get right now is the middle level 21.5 i5 quad imac for $1299. The i5 quad cpu should provide plenty of power for most studio users. The stock 8gb of should be more than enough for most studio users.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MNDY2LL/A&step=config#

culiacant87 likes this.
  10. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

I figured the mac nazis would pounce on this.
    I have about as much computer experience as anyone, I have built many from the ground up. I understand network basics, I use both Winows and Mac computers regularly. I am very agnostic toward either thing.
    Macs actually have just as many problems these days as windows machines do. As long as you are using Windows 7 or 10.
    They just have different and more expensive to fix problems.
    The only real justifiable reason to buy a mac vs an windows computer is the inexpensive recording software. Garage band or Logic.
    I can tell you this, IF you have never really used a computer before it's going to be a long time before you are fluent enough in compute things to not get VERY VERY frustrated trying to record stuff on a computer. So I personally would not base my decision the recording thing either.
    Just the same amount of viruses and other stuff to deal with. One of my apple computers is an I Mac with an I5 processor and an SSD drive, that I had installed. I have over $1,000 in that computer. before software. And it won't run some of the software I have recently purchased. Mac computers are not any easier to run than a windows machine and I don't care which one you buy. Just giving you a nice cold shot of reality.

335guy and Scrapperz like this.