My first custom build since the "Other" Flying V...

Hari Seldon

Right. I just didn't understand the razor blade thing further up.
The imitated cracks in the finish are usually done with razor blades. In the detail pix it can be seen that the maker has been really busy.

And - is this really a custom build?

I won't comment any more here because it seems the op is not happy with it.

GiorgioV

Hey Shark, being a Flying V nut myself I spoke with Paolo a few times and got the chance to play one of his Vs last November in Milan. I didn't like all the specs but I found it to be a fine guitar with nice looking relicing and would order one from him myself if not for the fact that I'm already in talks for another V build (the process got slowed down a lot due to covid and all that).

Looking forward to see how you like it!

Shark21

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Shark, being a Flying V nut myself I spoke with Paolo a few times and got the chance to play one of his Vs last November in Milan. I didn't like all the specs but I found it to be a fine guitar with nice looking relicing and would order one from him myself if not for the fact that I'm already in talks for another V build (the process got slowed down a lot due to covid and all that).

Looking forward to see how you like it!
Thanks. I'm not ate up with every minute detail of a fifties being present. I'm a player. From what another TGP'r told me, his is a monster.

GiorgioV

I'm in the same boat as you, I was mostly thinking about the neck size and things like that (which I am peculiar about). As long as it looks right I don't care if it's 100% dead on.

Shark21

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, so the guitar arrived. It was wrapped like a mummy in tape and plastic. I think Paolo must have been worried they were going to submerge it! Biggest pain in the ass to unbox ever, but God works that way with me! I know. I know. No religion or politics...

The guitar is very, very nice. The Korina is beautiful. There's no lacquer smell (for those so critically sure it would be uncured). The finish is hard and the aging is really good. I've owned tons of relic'd guitars and it's as nice as any I've had. It doesn't look like it was dragged behind a vehicle, but it looks really old and really played. The knobs and switch tip will be switched out with Creme Tone stuff as I really like their aged parts. The truss rod cover is a wide bell, but I want one of the aged ones from Creme Tone as well. Pickguard is three ply and aged really nicely. Pickup covers are a bit too new looking for now, but I have a set of old gold covers from a Les Paul Custom somewhere in the mountain of crap I've accumulated over the years. An easy revision to be sure.

Neck is what I'd describe as a "C", but with a little more front to back thickness than a '59, but not as robust as a '58. Sorry fellas, but I'm not a stickler about necks unless they are just too huge, wide or skinny. It's a great neck profile. The board is beautiful. Inlays are great. Not sure if there's a holly veneer on the headstock, but it does have a side border and appears to have a veneer on the headstock.

Guitar plays excellent. I'm not a low action fan and this one is just right. I have not plugged it in yet, but will report back when I do. Case is a run of the mill case with black tolex. I bought a brown Historic case for it, so it's not an issue.

Is it worth 3K? Oh, hell yeah. Am I satisfied? Fully. Would I recommend Paolo to my friends. No. I don't want him to raise his prices before I can get the matching Explorer!

Just my initial ramblings, so fire away with any questions.

Joe Perry

Gold Supporting Member
Congratulations!! Glad it's everything you hoped! Now you have me thinking Explorer.....

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Okay, so the guitar arrived. It was wrapped like a mummy in tape and plastic. I think Paolo must have been worried they were going to submerge it! Biggest pain in the ass to unbox ever, but God works that way with me! I know. I know. No religion or politics...

The guitar is very, very nice. The Korina is beautiful. There's no lacquer smell (for those so critically sure it would be uncured). The finish is hard and the aging is really good. I've owned tons of relic'd guitars and it's as nice as any I've had. It doesn't look like it was dragged behind a vehicle, but it looks really old and really played. The knobs and switch tip will be switched out with Creme Tone stuff as I really like their aged parts. The truss rod cover is a wide bell, but I want one of the aged ones from Creme Tone as well. Pickguard is three ply and aged really nicely. Pickup covers are a bit too new looking for now, but I have a set of old gold covers from a Les Paul Custom somewhere in the mountain of crap I've accumulated over the years. An easy revision to be sure.

Neck is what I'd describe as a "C", but with a little more front to back thickness than a '59, but not as robust as a '58. Sorry fellas, but I'm not a stickler about necks unless they are just too huge, wide or skinny. It's a great neck profile. The board is beautiful. Inlays are great. Not sure if there's a holly veneer on the headstock, but it does have a side border and appears to have a veneer on the headstock.

Guitar plays excellent. I'm not a low action fan and this one is just right. I have not plugged it in yet, but will report back when I do. Case is a run of the mill case with black tolex. I bought a brown Historic case for it, so it's not an issue.

Is it worth 3K? Oh, hell yeah. Am I satisfied? Fully. Would I recommend Paolo to my friends. No. I don't want him to raise his prices before I can get the matching Explorer!

Just my initial ramblings, so fire away with any questions.
Congrats, brother. Play it in the best of health and enjoy. Make some great music with that beautiful V!

lifeson1

Supporting Member
Great to hear this was a speedy build, and you seem happy! Can't wait to see it!!!

Shark21

Silver Supporting Member
Hey @Shark21 any further impressions?
Okay, so tonight I took the Vee to practice. First, we played "Big Shot" by Billy Joel. I won't lie. I use a Headrush Pedalboard and as many FRFR (full range flat response) cabs as I need. For practice, I just use a Line 6 PowerCab 1x12. It has some really good IR's in it that work well in tailoring the sound to the room. I don't have to change anything in the Headrush.

The guitar is just fantastic sounding. Paolo winds the pickups and they are both under 8K. At the top of the gain I use, I can do the perfunctory "Danger Will Robinson" into the treble pickup and it sounds like a bullet mic for a harp. The neck pickup is really dark and brooding. I found the middle position and the bridge position my favorites.

Then, we played "Green Eyed Lady". We haven't played it for decades. The keyboard player just started that low organ run and we were off to the races. The guitar sounded perfect for all the parts. There are a bunch of cool tones in the song that range from jazzy clean on the neck pickup to the stretched octaves in the bridge position. There's also the lead in the middle with a little more edge. I was really pleased with the Vee on this one.

Last, we played Smooth. We used to play it when it was new. My son, our soundman and chief "beast" roadie, remembers us playing it on the way to every baseball game he played, when it first came out. So, we've resurrected it. The Vee on the bridge pickup, with the tone knob on about 6, sounded just right. I have this fat preset that I stole from Headrush endorser Tracii Guns. It's designed to be a killer Marshall tone, but I paired it with an IR of a open back Fender Bassman amp. It sounds just like a Boogie Mark IIC.

I really love this guitar. All my band mates thought the aging was really cool and that it sounded stellar. I just had fun.

I am going to have Paolo build the sister Explorer.