My first Danocaster is on the way

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Blue4Now, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Pic is from an old reverb Listing. I have seen this costello brown singlecut come up for sale a few times and started to convulse each time as I was not quite ready to pull the trigger. I LOVE this color! I am pretty sure it was owned by a TGP'er at some point. Well this time its mine. On its way to me that is. Neck specs are my perfect full C shape. I am a Tele guy and it appears to achieve Tele Nirvana one should probably own a Dano at some point. Its 2016, and I am told frets are perfect. Really excited about this one.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    rhinocaster, the_Chris, dmkz and 8 others like this.
  2. Blue4Now

3. jazzsnds

jazzsnds Member

Enjoy @Blue4Now, I received a email from Dan saying no new orders for at least 12 months.

Blue4Now likes this.
  4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Wow.

They've really taken off.

My wait was only about 6 months in 2015.

Great Dano OP, hope you really enjoy it.

Blue4Now and jazzsnds like this.
  5. brettmoor

brettmoor Supporting Member

Yeah that color rules!!

Blue4Now likes this.
  6. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

Dan told me just a few weeks ago that he was starting on last January, so you should be getting close.

7. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

Dig the singlecut, especially like seeing the grain. Love my LPB one; it plays and sounds incredible. Hope its a keeper!

Blue4Now likes this.
  8. 56Tweed

As for Dan closing the list, as much as it pains me (I wanted to order another guitar) I give him credit for making the tough call. Small shops in high demand sometimes go the other way and TGP is littered with threads about those builders. I wouldn't be surprised to see a healthy price increase when the list re-opens. Demand is too high, and I think its been too profitable for people to just simply flip them immediately for a profit.

9. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I was looking at that one, is well. Great score!!

Cornbread and Blue4Now like this.
  10. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

Congratulations and enjoy it!

Blue4Now likes this.
  11. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Congrats! I was looking at that one too! My old Dano white guard single cut is amazing.

MattH and Blue4Now like this.
  12. Decal

Decal Member

[​IMG]

Here's mine. Still #1...everyday player.
    When I saw your Dano, I thought ours kind of belong in the same category.
    I asked Dan to do a "hippie 70's refinish" because I really just wanted a honey colored one where I could see the wood grain. Yours is more of a true one of a kind, that shouldn't work on paper, but looks amazing! Classy, even. But it doesn't look like it's trying to be a rosewood tele or any other "classic" look. Glad you snagged it, and hope it brings you the continuing pleasure that mine brings me.

I realize now that Costello brown is referencing Elvis's Jazzmaster. More awesome!

56Tweed, Blue4Now and Cornbread like this.
  13. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

Congrats OP!

Me too!

lifeson1 and Blue4Now like this.
  14. Blue4Now

Yes! that is exactly my thought as well, its not quite true 70's mocha color but a lighter, more transparent brown, which shows the grain nicely. Not something i would have chosen from scratch but seeing it, its fantastic. Almost as if someone refinished a 50's tele in the 70's sort of thing but with a lighter shade of mocha

Decal likes this.
  15. Decal

Decal Member

@Cornbread That Tidewater is something else. I have picture of it on my hard drive from whenever he posted it.

Cornbread likes this.
  16. Decal

Decal Member

Does it still have the Arcanes in it? You have to tell me how they sound! The Budz that are in mine aren't going anywhere.

17. Blue4Now

Yes it does. I imaginr they sound good if Dan picked them but I will report back with specifics once I have it in hand.

Decal likes this.
  18. texrun38

texrun38 Supporting Member

Could not agree more on Dan being smart about stopping new orders. The two I’ve ordered from him are so superb and one of the things that sets him apart from so many buikders is his exceptional customer service. I very much respect this move. Congrats on the new Danocaster!!!

Just for grins, here’s my #1 that he built me. Just a joy to play.

19. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

Dan put a set of Budz in my first Dano, and they were awesome. So much so - a few weeks back when a set became available in the emporium I snapped them up and put them in a MIM body I have and mated a Nash neck to it. It really sounds great.

My name should be called for my build in a month or two and I'm really torn as to what color to get. I have no problem putting the pickup choice in Dan's hands. I will likely get a maple fretboard and certainly will be light aging.

Decal likes this.
  20. 56Tweed

One of the things I like about what Dan does is that finishes reflect what the aged colors can look like. I like his metalic finishes quite a bit and went with a LPB for my singlecut T-style. Burgundy Mist, Inca silver and candy apple red also looks great. Then you get the faded pastel ones like Daphne Blue and Fiesta Red. Can't really go wrong.

For pickups, I would like to think that he does a great job of matching the voice of the body and neck with the right set of pups. Maybe is snake oil, but my first one captures my target tones perfectly. I will never swap pups on that. When I ordered it, I wanted to add some tele tones to the mix, but it quickly became my #1.