My first formal "intro" on TGP and some musings...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JTStivers, Apr 11, 2017.

1. JTStivers

JTStivers Member

Been a so-so member TGP member for a few years, but have not yet shared on this introductory forum.

Played in NYC in the '80s. Studied (irreligiously) with the great Linc Chamberland for about three years. Had one lesson with John Scofield, but never followed through because I was callow and lazy. Played on a couple of cool albums back in the day. I teach high school English now here in beautiful Maine and play in a number of cover band/duo/trio situations. Happily married, three great kids, don't have nearly as many guitars, amps, and toys that I should have. ;)

Sometimes I think I'm a better player than I actually am, but then I listen to that three year-old on Youtube who can play "Scapegoat Blues" note for note, solos and all (for the record, I struggle to play the head and have not even attempted the rest). I get worked up about all this stuff we talk about on these sites for no good reason. I'm blessed to have friendships I have not fully earned and family who love me in spite of my failings and obsession with music. I really do believe that if I could just get that next perfect amp, guitar, pedal, or low impedance, overpriced cable that is only 3/32" long, I'll instantly play better. I think Youtube is a most amazing and useful resource for musicians and music lovers, and I've learned a lot as both because of it. I will accept cash donations from you to help fund my kids' college educations. I'm struck that many of you TGP posters are most generous with your time and expertise.

Right now, I have a Fender Champ XD whose clean sounds great, a Ceriatone Mini OTS one of you (thanks, Joe!) just talked me out of selling (with an Avatar cab loaded with a Vintage 30), a Kemper rackmount with Kemper remote I play through a QSC K-10, and a G system among other toys. My main axe is an early 90s PRS CE 22 (or is it a 24?), and I also play a homemade Tele (although I just bought a Warmouth neck to replace the one I made, being that the one I made does work, but, uh, not as well as it could . . . ). Just bought a C-Lator. Thinking hard about a Suhr Classic S.

I've sold some great gear over time I wish I still had. Wow. Yeah.

2. JTStivers

JTStivers Member

BTW.... heard this dude?

GuitarsFromMars and Lef T like this.
  3. Lef T

Lef T Member

Welcome aboard.
    You are better than you think you are.
    Never heard of the dude,but he can play.

4. JTStivers

JTStivers Member

5. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.
    I was lucky enough to study with Linc for a while. What an amazing player and teacher.

Jim

6. trap

trap Supporting Member

A much belated welcome! Lincs name caught my eye.
    I remember seeing Linc a few times at this dive in Port Chester NY called Rapsons. Saw him with Melvin Sparks and Dave Leibman. Great jams! Linc played a Tele.
    He had tons of students.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member