My First Gig with the Kingsley Jester

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I finally had the chance to use my Kingsley Jester out live on a Gig the other night and here are my thoughts.

The three gain settings are all very usable depending on the song. We play a variety of classic rock and pop/rock so the need for different levels of gain is a must. The tones out of the Jester are very big and thick. This pedal gives you a very dominant tone in the mix so you have to be careful so as not to get to loud, as our sound man pointed out to me right away on sound check.

With the three gain setting you can go from a slight breakup all the way up to high gain overdrive. The overdrive can have a liquid quality to it. But just to make sure what I mean here, I’m not talking about blistering distortion. If you are looking for something like that, then a real high gain distortion pedal would be your best bet.

The Jester’s tone controls are one of the best features on this unit. You have three different controls for the bass, mids and treble and the frequency range is very wide and adjustable to contour to your own amp to the tone that you want. You can get very bright or you can get very dark. If you want a smooth darker tone all you do is dial down the bass and treble to zero and crank up the mids and your there.

The boost can be used separately or in conjunction with the overdrive and the boost is also an excellent tool to shape the tone. On setting 1 you just get a boost with the same tone intact with no shift in frequency response. On setting 2, you get a treble boost and on setting 3, the mids get boosted, (my favorite). I find for my set-up, boosting the mids really helps me cut through the mix while maintaining a very manageable volume.

Our lead singer commented that my tone was sounding more present in the mix and clearer than usual and she looked and noticed the big blue box was getting used quite a bit and wanted to know if that was the reason. I guess that's a good thing, but it makes me wonder what others were hearing from me before I had the Jester~~~

My Klon is still on my board but has now become more of an overall sound enhancer, where I just turn it on and leave it on all night. I really like the Klon in this role now. I also have a Lovekraft Chupa (which is like a Rat, MO’D type of pedal variation) for more of the higher gain type of distortion that is needed on a few songs, but I still engage the Jester’s boost along with the Lovekraft Chupa to add to the mids on some parts.

If I had one compliant about the unit is the fact that you have to bend over and adjust the toggle switch to change the three different overdrive levels and the three different boost settings. On the fly in the middle of a song this is a bit of a problem. If Simon could design the pedal with a couple more foot-switches instead of those two little 3-way toggle switches like the switching on the boss DD-20 delay, my old knees would be happier. But that is a small compliant and not a deal breaker by any means.

So the unit is big and the unit is expensive at $375. The two 12AX7’s give you a tube feel to the tone! No doubt about it. The characteristics are more tube like than any OD pedal I have played.

Measurements: 7.5" wide x 6" deep x 1 1/4" high at the front, sloping up to 2 1/4" high at the back. With the tube guard in place the height at the back is 3"
    Weight: 3 lbs (1320g)

Bottom line, so far so good!

For those of you who are not familiar with the Jester, here is a link and picture.

http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/jester/jester.html

[​IMG]

2. Ken

Ken Member

Anyone else been gigging with the Jester?

3. rrhea

rrhea Member

I don't have the Jester yet, but I do play out with my Kingsley ToneBaron. Supposedly the Jester has a lot of the TB circuitry for the gain tones. I know exactly what you mean about being able to dominate the tonal spectrum. I have to be careful not to blow everyone else out. :)

I can't wait to add the Jester to my pedal board. It will give me a third gain channel, essentially, and a great clean boost which I am missing right now. Can't wait!

[​IMG]

RR

4. Ken

Ken Member

The clean boost is outstanding on the Jester, as there is no doubt about that!

5. rrhea

rrhea Member

Awesome. I can't wait to get mine. I need to stop buying other stuff and get one already. :)

I suspect the OD will sound exactly like my amp, so what is cool about that is I can set the pedal as a crunch and the use the amp for high gain tones. ;)

RR