My first humble attempt at home recording...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dehughes, Jan 18, 2005.

1. dehughes

dehughes Member

Okay, here is what I've done with what I have. It is my first go round, so I'd greatly appreciate any input you all have. Please feel free to be as critical as you'd like to be. The performances could be tightened up a bunch, but I'm mostly concerned with the mechanics of the recording process, as I can always go back and do a better job of playing. It is just me and my acoustic on this one:

http://www.davideldonhughes.com/sounds/LATAMF16b192kbps.mp3

Thanks in advance,

david

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It sounds pretty good on my laptop speakers... seriously. I didn't listen critically but that's hard to do with a MP3 anyway. Nonetheless, sounding good on a laptop is a goal in itself these days. I think the background vocals are mixed a little high, but that's your call.

If you plan on doing a lot of tight vocal layering it does take practice to do them as overdubs. It's a new skill. Most of the vocal tracks I record are overdub takes, because often (depending on the song and the singer) it's less about the emotional moment than it is about syncing up.

When you get them real tight, there's a little plug called VocAlign that's a terrific cheat. But it only works well if the vocals are already pretty tight, otherwise it adds all kinds of wobbly sh*t you don't want.

3. dehughes

dehughes Member

Thanks. It is funny that you said that, as I JUST finished uploading a new version with lowered background vocals. You're right about it "being a skill"; I never realized how sloppy and inconsistent my vocal parts were until I started hearing myself recorded yesterday...eesh... Anyway, see if this vocal mix is better...http://www.davideldonhughes.com/sounds/LATAMF16.mp3

I'll check out that plug.

Thanks so much,

david

4. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Did you write the tune?? Sounds great. There are places where the guitar and vocals seem to fight each other, maybe you'll want to find someone to ride the faders or use some slight compression on the acoustic, or maybe it's great the way it is. Great sound!!

5. dehughes

dehughes Member

Yeah, I wrote it. I've spent more time writing that practicing.... :) As for the faders, does anyone know if you can automate them in Kristal? I'll check their forums.

BTW, here is another one I just finished this morning. I'm having some trouble getting the lead vocals to sit well...any suggestions?

http://www.davideldonhughes.com/sounds/TRTH16b192kbps.mp3

Thanks,

david