My first impression of the OD-100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by countandduke, Feb 8, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

Okay, so I only had about 25 minutes to play this sucker in my 23 degree garage last night and the first word that comes to mind is WOW!!! The clean channel alone is great!! This is the stock version with the poweramp resonance, whomp switch and feedback control. Channel 1 gives me all the great jazz and clean tones I want plus the ability to get the SRV tones with the boost engaged. Channel 2 has a very nice complexity and richness with the distortion but John Suhr and several posters here were right when they said the fusion liquid type tone is not quite there. I am considering the purchase of a BB Booster or something similar to help push the amp into the fusiony type liquid tone. So any suggestions there would be helpful.

I am currently playing the amp through a Marshall 30th Anniversary series cabinet. I also have a 5150 that I have available and plan on using that a bit too.

It is VERY true that the volume must be at a good healthy dose to get the power tubes a cookin' which brings me to my next question, can anyone comment on the THD hotplate? I am thinking of getting one and I just like to read what others have to say on the subject. Also, I know I can pull the outer 2 tubes and run the amp at half power, can anyone comment on that??

Thanks very much, more reviews to come in the future.

Chris

2. mude

mude Supporting Member

Make sure you are trying jumping the effects loop (even if you don't put anything other than a cord there) and using it as an additional master volume. That way the controls on the front can be up higher and the volume can still be controlled. Makes a big difference.

Evan.

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yep, saw that advice and that certainly makes a big difference but thanks for mentioning that again. I really am liking this amp just wish it were warmer outside so I may have to move the amp down to the basement....

Chris

4. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I pulled 2 tubes out and it is the first amp I have done that in that I still like the sound of. It is a definite beast. I would like more info on the efx. loop trick though.

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

You just connect a small 1/4" cable into the effects send and back into the in so that you then use the return level knob for the loop as the overall master volume. It works well and you can then turn up the level of the front knobs. Even doing that though, this amp is a freakin beast!!! It's one loud mofo.......

Chris

6. scottl

scottl Member

I agree 1000%

I demoed the amp at NAMM/Tonemerchants with John Suhr personally twiddling the controls.

Amazing clean channel. I loved it!!!!

The gain channel didn't do it for me. I could not play a single lick. I am used to the liquid fusion tone! LOL John left the room and returned with a BB and things were great!!! ;)

7. countandduke

countandduke Member

Quick question, I need some reverb and I was thinking of using an LXP-1 (or whichever one is the reverb unit). I know most amp effects loops are picky and wondered what you guys thought. I DO have an Eventide Eclipse that I can certainly use but it would be easier to just use the LXP-1 or 5 on top of the amp for some "space" to the amp.

Thanks,

Chris

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

I own one of these and love it. I don't really hear much difference in the tone of mine with the effects loop jumped or not. It sounds good to me either way and and pretty much any volume. I haven't done the "pull 2 tubes" trick yet but like I said, sounds good at low volume to me as it is.

Forgive me for my ignorance but what's a "BB"?

9. countandduke

countandduke Member

It's a tiny ball shot out of an air rifle. :BEER

Xotic pedals makes some really nice pedals. Among them are the AC booster (Almost Clean), the RC booster (Really Clean) and the BB booster (not sure what the B's stand for......)

Chris

10. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Hey Chris,
    Just wondering why you didn't opt for the SE.

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

I guess I deserved that! :)

I just looked it upon the Xotic website. Thanks a lot. Now there's something else I can't afford giving me G.A.S.!

12. countandduke

countandduke Member

The guy I bought my amp from was selling his stock model. The SE option may very well happen in the future...........

Thanks.....

Chris

13. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

I love jumping the effect loop. It's like buying a different amp.

Nick

14. bailnout

bailnout Member

Mine is stock on channel two. I run a plain old TS10 in front of the amp and with the boost on channel two on and set at about 2 o'clock on the back, that pretty much gets me there on the singing sustained lead tone thang. Mine is the EL34 model with the Plexi OT but it's still the stock circuitry on channel two.

What kind of lead tone are you looking to get? Who's lead tone would you most like to have for your own?

15. countandduke

countandduke Member

Well there's a couple, Eric Johnson's from Ah Via Musicom, but lately it's Shawn Lane's tone from the POWERS OF TEN era. I believe he was using 2 rigs at that time. A Holmes amp (Mississippi Blues) with a Westbury tube overdrive pedal. His other rig was a Bob Gjika amp.

I just got done playing the OD-100 for about 30 minutes and the effects loop trick really does work wonders and HOLY CRAP is that amp loud!!! I turned it up a bit and my speaker cabinet was farting out on a 6th string A note. Any idea what may cause this?? It almost sounds like one of the speakers is blown or the baffles are resonating. I believe it's the resonating and not a blown speaker but who knows. It's a 5150 straight cabinet and about 10 years old.

Eric Johnson said he likes to run his amps at 8 ohms for lead, my 5150 is a 16 ohm cabinet but I can use the 8 ohm output on the OD-100 and not hurt anything right??? I will check with John before I try this as I don't want to blow anything!!!

But WOW, what a freakin amp!!!

Chris

16. bailnout

bailnout Member

Those are some good influences for sure. You should be able to get that out of your amp unmodified.

Something that I didn't mention that I'm doing with mine is that I'm running my PODxt Live through the effects loop. So I'm actually using the return level as a master volume like you just did, but I'm also adding some things with the POD that also help me get to the creamy singing sustain type lead tone. I only boost with some EQ and add some reverb and delay. Nothing really over the top effective, just a taste of each. Man I'll tell you, it sings. Between the stuff I add in the loop, the TS10 in front and the built in boost on ch. 2, I'm really getting some juice. I'm only running the gain between 3 and 5... and I DON'T mean "o'clock". I mean, #3 - #5 on the dial!

As far as your speaker situation goes, I would run out of the 16 ohm output to your cab. I don't see any real good reason not to. If you really want to run that head at 8 ohms with that cabinet, have the cabinet rewired for 8 ohms. But coming out of the 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm cabinet may be what's giving you that farting sound.

You're right though, it's a beast of an amp alright. Just out of curiosity, what where you playing before you got the OD-100?

17. countandduke

countandduke Member

TONS of stuff!!! I'll make the list tomorrow........:D

Thanks and take care.

PS I have not yet tried the 8 ohm thing so I know that's not what's causing the farting sound.

Chris

18. countandduke

countandduke Member

Thanks for the tip John. I have 2 cabinets that I use primarily, a straight 5150 cabinet that I have had for about 10 years and a Marshall 30th Anniversary series cabinet more like 8 years old or so. The Marshall one is stereo which is cool (it's blue too). I'll check out those things sometime within the next few days.

Gear I have had, hmmmmm that's a big one. 5150 head, Marshall Plexi reissue, THD Univalve, THD Flexi, Peavey classic 30, peavey classic 50 (combo), Mesa Single Rectifier, Mesa Triaxis and 2:90, preavey tubefex,fender hot rod deville, line 6 spider, line 6 pod pro, line 6 pod xt live, digitech 2101.....

Holy smokes that's alot of stuff and I am sure I am leaving some stuff out.....

My rack gear as of late has been a Marshall JMP-1 with an Eventide Eclipse in the loop which is so far the best sounding 2 space rack I have heard yet. The recording outs on the JMP-1 are VERY good sounding. I would then run a velocity 120 amp when I am jamming live.

Honestly, the THD amp were among the best I have ever tried. A lot more open sounding than the mesa stuff I thought. The peavey classic stuff is good although they cheap out on the transformers but you can tell there's a decent tone in there.

I am still thinking that I need to run a hotplate to get those tubes a cookin'. The Loop knob on the back of the OD-100 controls how much signal gets sent out of the loop right??? I'll know the answer to that question in about 8 hours but I am just curious.

Thanks for all input, I will continue to post thoughts and maybe some clips eventually. FWIW, The OD-100 has the most amount of tone I have ever heard from one amp. The THD Flexi is a very close second but I love that the OD-1000 is a 2 channel amp. Who knows though, maybe another Flexi is in my future someday.

Chris

19. coxswain

coxswain Guest

How does the SE version fair withe the more compressed liquidy fusion tones?

20. bailnout

bailnout Member

That IS a good bit of stuff. Seems to me, with your tastes, you should be able to find all the tones you need in that OD-100. But you are already finding that out for yourself! The more I tweak mine, the more usable tones I find in there. For such a simple layout you really get a lot. The gain settings and where I put my feedback knob (on the back) have an interesting effect on what the tone controles on the front do.

No... it doesn't control the send level, it controls the return level. The levels that are sent are set by the front master volumes I believe. I'm not 100% sure but I think the FX loop return is in the circuit just prior to the power amp. So you may be right about still needing the Hot Plate if you really feel like you need to run the heat up on those power amp tubes. Personally, I don't feel the need for the Hot Plate but I'm not sure we can really compare our two amps in this regard because we have different tubes and output transformers. I would still be interested in what you find with that Hot Plate though.