My first Kemper profiling session… with a little help!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JerEvil, Apr 21, 2015.

1. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Mentioned last week that I was finally going to profile the Quick Rod. Well I made the trek to AZ yesterday and spent a few hours with a guy named Tim Owens who's a regular poster on the Kemper Forums and sometimes in TGP. He's the guy on the Kemper forum doing the "Have Amps Will Profile" thing with all the Friedmans.

Anyway here's the basic list of what we used:
    • Splawn Quick Rod "Low B+" - 2013 model
    • Splawn 2x12 with Celestion Creamback 65's
    • Shure SM57
    • Audio Technica AT4040
    • Kemper Rack
    • Black Arts Witch Burner
    • Black Arts Coven
    • ProCo USA RAT2 (LM308)

I got there almost 2 hours late which sucked as it ate up a lot of time. Tim got the mic's set up and we just went at it. He made a jig for mic placement. Basically found the center of the cone and took .5" measurements left to right. The 57 was .5" from the cone and AT4040 was 1" and backed out a touch. We made a test "Studio" profile and he asked if I wanted to adjust mic placement at all. I liked what I heard do we had at it.

We made 12 studio profiles and 12 matching DI profiles. All used the new 3.0.2 firmware so they can be merged and have perfect cab separation live. This means no cab sim coming to my guitar cab and cab sim on what goes to FOH. While the Kemper did this before it still did more of an approximation. Now it's truly bypassed. I tried a merged profile we tested with my Splawn cab and Crown power amp it it was amazing.

I'm not saying it's aliens but...

We profiled all Gears / OD 1 & 2 with gain about 1:00 and my standard EQ settings, Clean and Gear 1, OD 1 with gain at 9:00. We then did that setting with the Coven, Witch Burner and RAT.

Tim is a great dude. Super patient, willing to try anything and was very accommodating. I'm sure I drove him a little nuts with my inability to shut up! Lol! He also has THE coolest home jam room I've been to. Friedman's and Marshall's all over the place (plus some nice Gibsons and Strats). I told him I felt like I treated him like a "lady of the night" - I got there, showed him my junk, we got down to business and I left. I didn't even offer to make breakfast! Hopefully we can hang more next time but he was super cool and it was awesome of him to spend a few hours and show me his process.

Anyway here are some pics of the experience...

[​IMG]

Setting up the mic's (in a separate room)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all in the main room
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim fiddlin' with stuff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all it was a lot of fun, super informative and just a total pleasure. I will run through the profiles today with fresh ears and see what we actually ended up with sound wise. I'll get some clips posted as well.

Here's a little gratuitous jam room pron!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The profiles are up on the Rig Exchange. Search "JerEvil" for easy finding.

2. SloeGin

SloeGin Member

Some nice gear!
    That BE100 & Dirty Shirley and you're set for life! :dude

Thanks for the pictures :D

Did you happen to try out that Amplifire i see?

3. JerEvil

Yeah those are great amps but unfortunately the only amp there that is mine is the Quick Rod with large check cloth. Tim is the guy in the photo's. He certainly has some WONDERFUL "First World" problems!

It was such a great experience and really cool of him to help me with. He has all those Friedman's profiled on the Kemper forum and takes "settings requests" also. Free of charge. Just a super nice guy.

4. glenndelune

glenndelune Member

Just curious, does the guitar play any roll at all in the profiling process??

5. JerEvil

Sort of, in the sense of refining the profile. Once the profile is initially made, you can "refine" it by playing for about 30 seconds. Different pick attacks, mixing up barre chords, strummed chords, etc help make the profile bit more accurate or refined in relation to the profiled amp. I am sure to some degree the goings on of your pickups have something to do with it. I think the guitar really plays more of a role in how you are setting up the amp to be profiled like if you are playing a Strat, you may dial in more low end than you would for a Les Paul.

6. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

How do the profiles sound vs the amps?

7. JerEvil

We did a merged profile of my Quick Rod and I played it through a Crown power amp and my Splawn Cab and it is friggin' legit! I didn't get a chance to plug into his Friedman's but his profiles are all really good. Some of the clips I have posted on forums have gotten good responses from Brown Eye and Dirty Shirley owners in regards to how close it sounds to their respective tube counterparts.

8. rdwilson

rdwilson Member

very cool gear, & very good of Tim for helping you..thanks for the pix

9. JerEvil

You bet! Yeah man, I tell people all the time, the Kemper community has got to be one of the most helpful bunch of folks I have met.

10. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Great event, glad you guys added some value to the world :)

11. JerEvil

Well try the profiles first! You may retract that statement! LOL!

12. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Looks like tons of Kemper fun, very cool hooking up with Tim !

He's definitely got some time in the saddle. :horse

13. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Hi JerEvil

Look forward to trying out these new profiles ..... huge thanks :)

May I please ask:-

-> are the Splawn Quick Rod Profiles on Rig Exchange full 3.0 Merged Profiles ie: full cab separation 3.0 merged profiles ?

Ben

14. JerEvil

Yeah man he's got it down for sure. His Friedman profiles IMHO are the best available.

They are done the 3.0 way. The 12 studio profiles have matching DI profiles. Just copy the Studio cab and paste it on the DI, merge it and voila!

Give them a go and let me know what you think!

15. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Ha!

I was not talking about the free profiles :D

16. JerEvil

LOL! Thanks!

17. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

This looks like a lot of fun. I'd love to shadow somebody doing this sometime.