my first Les Paul! LP Faded...

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
I just got my first Les Paul... it's a Faded LP with (I believe) cherry burst finish. I bought it used but didn't get home early enough last night to fire her up. Had to change strings etc...

any tips on handling the satin finish? I might change out those burstbucker pickups, partly because I'm not too keen on the zebra theme.

UPDATE:

4427916938_e0d7c1922e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Drew68

Silver Supporting Member
That's beautiful! From the photos it doesn't even look that faded. Looks like someone polished it a up bit.

If it was mine, I'd cover the pickups and put on a pickguard. But I like Pauls that way. Just my $0.02.

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
That's beautiful! From the photos it doesn't even look that faded. Looks like someone polished it a up bit.

If it was mine, I'd cover the pickups and put on a pickguard. But I like Pauls that way. Just my $0.02.

Thanks! yeah it's hard to tell from the photos that it's not a regular finish on it.

I actually don't mind a pickguard because I like that classic look. But I'm apprehensive about drilling holes in it. I like exposed pickups just cos I think it looks a little more badass LOL. I would probably just put some seymour duncans in it if anything.

RJM/rydog2223

Indeed. Give er the 59' look!

echale3

Before you go yanking out the Burstbucker Pros, give them a good whirl, they sound fantastic, IMO. If you don't like the zebra look but you like the tones you are getting, you can always get a pair of Gibson pickup covers and stick them on...

Your guitar is a beauty!

slowburn

I actually don't mind a pickguard because I like that classic look. But I'm apprehensive about drilling holes in it.

there's some new screwless pickguards you can find online, I think you attach them via the screws on the pickup rings. do a search on mylespaul.com or lespaulforum.com

Gigbag

Congtrats! That looks real fine.

I like pick guards on Pauls at times, but mostly I like them off.

I also prefer the open humbuckers on most LPs, but I don't prefer the zebras when they the colors are not arranged the same on both pickups.

Great catch. I looked at a bunch of those, but they all had flaws, and your looks better than any I tried. If I found one like that, I would endure the beating from wife to have one.

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for the comments guys!

there's some new screwless pickguards you can find online, I think you attach them via the screws on the pickup rings. do a search on mylespaul.com or lespaulforum.com

wow that's a great idea. I'll look into those, but the body looks so nice I almost don't want to cover it up :). I read somewhere that the finish on these Faded Les Paul models wears out easily so maybe a pickguard may be more practical.

i bet it's nice and light too

haven't weighed it but I think it's under 8.5 lbs. It's a comfortable weight for sure!

thesteve

it just dawned on me that I've never actually seen an LP Standard Faded...just the LP Special Faded series. This is still a great looking guitar...way better than the Special Faded series.

jimmydeuce

Nice color and top on that one. The BB Pros work pretty well in the Faded's. I did change the pickups in my Faded to a set from WB and with an electronics kit from RS mine gets as much playing time as my historics. I'll send you the website for the screwless pickguards. Congrats!! Those Faded's are great.

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
just an update to show the Bobby Lee pickguard I added, as well as the SD 59/JB pickups I put in. The pickguard requires no drilling and works great!

CIMG5396.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom