My first negative thread/el84's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alainguitars, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Sherman

Sherman Silver Supporting Member

Jon,

You're right, man does not live on any given tube alone. Like you, I have amps with each of these tubes; EL84, EL34, 6L6, 7581, and 5881. I'd love to own a 6V6 based amp but I cannot afford a Divided by 13 right now;).

Alain, to each his/her own when it comes to tone.

YMMV

Sherm

2. alainguitars

alainguitars Silver Supporting Member

I prefaced my comments by stating everyone has their own hear for good tone. What I'm looking has nothing to do with chime or glassiness or shimmering qualities. I understand a lot of people enjoy those tones and want them. I'm looking for more of fluty,saxophone like quality. I'm not looking for a Beatles or Brian May tone. Although the Vox ac 30's are probably the only el84'amps I've heard that I like. I don't hear any chime in the Leslie West (mountain), Mick Taylor (Blues From Laurel Canyon) or early clapton bluesbreaker tones.

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have heard this model amp. Without a doubt, the BEST Marshall tone that I have ever heard. Just DEAD NUTS! Everything that I ever thought of in Vintage Marshall is in that amp. That amp absolutely SANG with absolute authority.
    M.E.

4. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Marshall 2061's might be closer to what you want. The PA 20 version (I forget the model) might suit you as it has a voiced darker. Changing the voicing is a pretty simple modification.

Mullards can smooth things out in some amps.

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Blanket statements are great aren't they?

6. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Blanket statements are always great, all of the time :horse ;)

7. Swarty

Swarty Member

I have a '69 PA and a '69 Bass 20w head. I'm not a Matchless fan, I'm not a big AC30 fan. I'm a Marshall plexi fan... I love the sounds of Cream, early Hendrix, Bluesbreaker Clapton, Eric Johnson, Bon Scott era AC/DC, etc.. etc... All of that rich, dark, smooth sound. FWIW, I also own a '68 Super Bass, '69 Super Trem, a '71 1987 and several other later '70s and '80s amps. The Marshall 20w amps do the early plexi sound in spades!

8. KenSea

KenSea Member

I have had problems with the sound of most el84 amps, with this being said I have liked the following el84 amps:

Vox AC30
    Alessandro Beagle
    Tong King Meteor 15a
    Dr.Z Carmen Ghia

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the combination of EL84s and the EF86 in my amp can definitely get a Marshall-esque crunch going. I blend it with the Top Boost channel to get grind and chime all in one. I like it a lot, personally.

Now, does it sound exactly like my old Super Bass through a 4x12? No. As somebody earlier said, "if you want the Marshall sound, buy a Marshall amp."

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

There's only one place where i like to hear Brian May's tone, and that's with brian May's fingers, guitar and amp playing a queen song. Does it really fit anywhere else? I love it, but it's not one I think is universal.

I like all the different tubes I've heard for their different characteristics. I think EL-84's are my favorite. Then 6L6, then EL-34, then 6V6. I'm not "cultured" enough, though. I need to hear more tube-types.
    But really, you don't have to like EL-84's. Just find the tubes, more importantly the AMPS, that work for you, and don't sweat it. It doesn't matter if there are two tin cans and a waxed string in it, if it's what you want to hear, play it.

11. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

Here's a 4 x EL84 amp that sounds amazing.. the 36W TMB built by Richie Hall. It sounds frighteningly close to the handwired vintage 50 and 100 watt Marshalls I've owned, but at a more sane volume range. It's still a loud amp thru a 412 cab. It's actually more versatile than my vintage Marshalls. Very bell-like clean tones, and a wonderful raw distortion when pushed with dirt pedals. Not a trace of harshness to be found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]