my first post, here's my baseline... where to go from here

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ganzosrevenge, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

I'm a n00b here, and my one stratocaster is an american special HSS guitar center limited edition. It's already had a few modifications done to it, but I'm curious what else I should be looking for to get as much resonance / sustain / tone out as possible.

Here's the list so far of Modifications:

-Callaham American Deluxe Bridge and Saddle Kit
    -Seymour Duncan SSL-1rwrp (n), Seymour Duncan SSL-1 (m),
    -Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Brobucker wound to 11k (b)
    -Luxe 1958-1961 Capacitor for stratocaster (n & m tone pot)
    -Luxe 1961-1968 Capacitor for stratocaster (b tone pot)
    -Removed S-1 switching and converted to "Lone Star Strat" configuration
    -Onyx Forge's Threaded Insert Kit (4x size 10-24 screws made from 18-8 stainless steel, with stainless steel inserts)
    -5 Springs to tremolo block, with claw screwed all the way in to acquire more hardtail tendencies
    -Acme Guitar Works' solderless wiring kit

So far, compared to a stock version, I've noticed that it plays a lot tighter, has a lot more sustain, the tuning is more stable, and it's far more resonant as a result of everything being tighter in tolerance. I also wanted a more vintage sound (hence, the SSL-1s, the luxe caps, the callaham trem kit, the brobucker PAF)... however, I'm wondering what other upgrades will help improve what I've already done. I love what I've done so far, i just want more stability / tone / sustain / resonance, etc. when it's acoustic. Anyone have any ideas where I should go from here?

Jason

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

If this is just for when it is unplugged, you could always:

Remove the trem back plate
    Block the trem with a wood block
    Change the springs to Raw Vintage springs

Welcome to TGP!

3. DC1

DC1 Member

If you want more clarity and a bit more top, you could go to titanium saddles.

Honestly though, don't change things just to do it, especially if you like it as is.

good luck

dc

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Hi Jason and welcome. Sounds to me like you've already made substantial improvements to your guitar. Personally, I'd play the heck out of it as is, and not spend another dime on it. An unfortunate consequence of modifications is that very little, if any, of the money you spent on the improvements will be recouped if you sell or trade it. Save your $$ for your next object of gear desire.....you'll certainly be getting there fast if you spend much time here!

5. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

well i'm of the camp that "if you have a good, resonant guitar unplugged... (and mine sustains for AGES as it is... it holds consistent readings on a tuner for over 10 seconds, sometimes closer to 20) and you have quality in there, and nothing's moving about un=necessarily, you give a better base for the pickups and strings to send a clearer signal. I had titaniums in another guitar, too bright. I like it as it is, however I'm thinking to take out the "F-imprinted" locking tuners Fender has been putting on its american deluxes and getting a set of the older type schaller locking tuners with the heavier-duty locking keys. I just like the feel more of them, and they're heavier, which will balance out my body-heavy guitar a bit more.

One thing I am definitely doing is shielding the body. I want to use at minimum conductive copper tape, but I want something that works right the first time. I've been from stewmac to industrial sites trying to find high-end tape. Any biters? The shielding will probably be the body cavity and the PG, at minimum. (I hate hum).

Thanks

Jason

PS: i don't plan to sell my strat anytime soon... If anything, I want to make it extremely stable... I even entertained the remote possibility of putting graphite rods in the neck to supplement the truss rod, though I'm not sure if it's doable, advisable, etc.

6. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

what are raw vintage springs, and how do they improve over the black american series springs?

and here's a pic of my strat

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009