My First Real Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rdnzl, Feb 1, 2008.

1. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

I took the plunge. I was killing time at GC this afternoon, and the remainder of my tax return was burning a hole in my pocket, so I played a bunch of guitars. I spotted this Arctic White Les Paul Studio hanging behind the customer service counter, and asked the guy to get it down for me. I then proceeded to plug her into half a dozen or so amps. I liked what I heard, and I liked what I felt, so I bought it. It sounded far superior to the matte mahogany model I played, and much more so, to any of the Epiphone LP's.

So.....I guess I have to eat a little crow here.....I've been known to pooh pooh Gibson guitars. I take it all back. This ebony fret boarded beauty is a real screamer, that when turned down, can sound pretty mellow too! These pickups are sizzlin' hot, whatever they are. The neck feels really nice, and the setup is pretty darned close to the way I like. The workmanship seems flawless. Frets are very well dressed and the finish is fantastic. I usually don't like gold hardware, but it seems to work on the white.

A died in the wool Fender guy, and I have been for many years. But I think I may have figured out what all the fuss is about! I have seen the light.

Here's a couple fo-toes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pics don't do her justice.

Even the cat loves it.

I'll add more observations later, after I have more some playing time on her.

2. Griz

Griz Member

Nice looking LP. Enjoy!

:AOK

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

4. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

My bad....the color is called ALPINE white.

5. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Probably the beginning of a long torrid love affair.... ohhhhhh. Don't worry- it happens all the time. A guy (or gal) comes along, picks up a Les Paul, strokes it and finds out what they have been missing all their life. Welcome to the dark side! Oh yeah.. nice guitar! :dude

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

Those are great guitars at a very reasonable price especially with the Ebony fretboard. I've always been a fan of the Studios. The only problem is next you'll want to get a LP Historic Reissue. Enjoy!

7. jspax7

jspax7 Member

[​IMG]

Complete with matching cat! Nice touch, Gibson.

8. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

That cat loves it when I play. She sits in front of me, watching and listening. When she sees a guitar she perks right up.

The volume pots are very responsive, and greatly affect the tone. Much more than I expected. I turn the amp up, turn the guitar down, get a tone dialed in, and then with a nudge of the knob, it can really growl when I want it to. Must be a LP type thing, my Fenders are not near that responsive, tonewise. they do it, but not this agressively.

I'm just a hack couch player, discovering something new and different.

I like.

9. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

That's what I found as well...after about 6 or 7 Epiphones I just stopped picking them up. None touched the Gibsons.
    I think they would be the 490R Alnico in the neck and the 498T Alnico in the bridge. Anything else would be a specified change I believe.

I played many guitars when I got my black Studio a few years ago. Love the Studio.

10. rastus

rastus Member

Yep, different guitars are a good thing! I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool anything guy. I like the differences in things. I understand the "I only play a Fender" mentality, cool with me. But, I always feel sorry for the guy that says that on a lot of levels. I have Rics, Gretsches, Fenders, Gibbys, and a ton of others. I love the different tones and feels they all offer.

I actually bounced a great guitar out of a project because he refused to use the instruments that the artist endorsed. I guess he didn't need the big dollars or exposure he would have had by simply adapting. He's OK though, I caught him masterfully wrangling his Red Volkaert imitation licks in the lobby of a crappy sports bar the other night. Bet that paid a bunch.

Welcome to the land of "there's more than one thing out there", but beware, it can open your mind to new sounds and styles, but can also lead to GAS, an expensive disease.

Nice LP Studio, BTW, the Alpine White ones are really sharp looking!

11. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

I like the neck profile. I think I read somewhere that it is a "59 profile" neck.

How does that compare to other Les Pauls?

12. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

I once had a '91 Studio in that color. Wish I kept it. Congrats on an enjoyable find!

13. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

From a fellow Fender guy and cat lover, Wow, nice axe! One of these days I will probably get the Classic White LP Studio, which is more of a cream color. Play that sucker! Thanks for the review.

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Very nice! As a fellow (dual) cat guy and owner of a one-month-old LP (Studio Vintage Mahogany), I'm with you, Bro'! :D

15. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

With a Strat, a Tele, and a Les Paul, a guy can pretty much cover all the bases, can't he?

I spent the better part of yesterday playing the Studio, and it's a lot more versatile than I thought it would be. It can get real bluesy or scream and growl like a mofo. With these hot pups, the volume knob plays a huge role in the tone, more so than on some of my other gits.

[​IMG]

16. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

welcome to the alpine white side.
    muhahahahahaha!

I think ever collection of strats or tele's should be complicated by a well made twin humbucker instrument. (and visa versa) a LP is an excellent choice.