My first really good pedal: Wampler Ace Thirty!

Beakertwang

I had a little cash from selling some things and found one in the emporium. Most of my pedals have been cheap, but OK--VS Drivetrain, a couple Mooers, Joyos, a Timmy clone, etc. This is my first high-end pedal, and I get it now. I had been looking for a Vox-type OD for higher gain, almost Brian May sound, and this easily replaces my (ahem) Joyo AC Tone. I know that sounds silly, but I had been happy with my cheap setup. ;)

First of all, it's quiet, even cranked--my biggest complaint about the Joyo. Great tone, superb clarity. At first I was disappointed, because I couldn't get to the gain level I wanted without the boost cranked. Then I read about the internal trim pot. Apparently, it had been turned down. Cranked that sucker up, and now it's all there!

I'll probably keep my Timmy clone for some lower gain stuff. Not sure if the boost side of the Ace Thirty quite gets me there for the low gain stuff that I like.

Anyway, it's all downhill from here. Nothing but a Klon and a Kingsley will do. :D

minty901

the joyo ac tone is cheap but is modeled after the awesome tech 21 sansamps so not to be scoffed at. im guessing youre running into your amp, not direct, which the ac tone wasnt designed for, so that might be why it wasnt living up for you.

Beakertwang

Exactly.

I actually use a Joyo American sound as my amp for church, and a friend uses the AC Tone as his. We both run those clean, however. We are very happy with the results.

Beakertwang

After having a little more time with the Ace Thirty, I'm liking it more and more. I have the gain cranked on the 15 side for that thick AC distortion, but it's so responsive to the volume knob, as well as to picking, that it's like having 4 different ODs in one pedal. No need for a the Timmy, for sure. Considering keeping my Mooer Pure Boost for solos, but I don't think that will be necessary either.

What a killer pedal!

Bobche

The Wampler Ace Thirty is a pedal ive had sitting on my shelf for the majority of the time i have owned it. When i tested it in the store, it ticket all the boxes for my AC15, but for some reason when i brought it home and put it next to my other pedals (hot Cake, OCD) i just lost interest. It might just be that its not the best pedal for a Vox AC as its trying to mimic that AC tone already, dunno. To me it just sounded 'un natural' compared to the way the Hot Cake and OCD behaved. The Paul C Timmy is next on my hit list...

One thing i did notice is that the 30watt setting sounded alot better to me than the 15watt setting did, it had a little bit more clarity.

Since reading this thread though I am keen to give the Wampler another crack.

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
The Wampler Ace Thirty is a pedal ive had sitting on my shelf for the majority of the time i have owned it. When i tested it in the store, it ticket all the boxes for my AC15, but for some reason when i brought it home and put it next to my other pedals (hot Cake, OCD) i just lost interest. It might just be that its not the best pedal for a Vox AC as its trying to mimic that AC tone already, dunno. To me it just sounded 'un natural' compared to the way the Hot Cake and OCD behaved. The Paul C Timmy is next on my hit list...

One thing i did notice is that the 30watt setting sounded alot better to me than the 15watt setting did, it had a little bit more clarity.

Since reading this thread though I am keen to give the Wampler another crack.
My feelings exactly! I've owned and sold it twice. That being said, I love Brian's pedals and still own several.

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
My whole board has morphed over the past year - Wampler and Catalinbread are the majority of my pedals now...

Bobche

So i gave the Ace Thirty another crack last night.....still have mixed feelings about it. I do like the Boost side pushing the ac15 into overdrive on the Normal channel, but the Ace Thirtys dirty tones just arent doing it for me, just sounds artificial.

Hope other users are enjoying theirs.

Beakertwang

Initially, I was so enamored with the Ace Thirty that I took the Timmy and Mooer Pure Boost off my board. That may have been a mistake. The Ace Thirty seems to fall short in lower gain settings--which is fine, because I LOVE it cranked!--and the boost side of it works well with other drives, but is lacking by itself.

Am I the only one on TGP ever to think I found the pedal, only to change my mind a week later? :D

porticoguitar1

Silver Supporting Member
You're not alone. This is the land of ever changing tastes. I have one and love it. Do I want other stuff? Heck yeah. Why else would I be on TGP. Keep it fir a while and put it through the paces at home and live before your fully evaluate.

alvin_22

I had a little cash from selling some things and found one in the emporium. Most of my pedals have been cheap, but OK--VS Drivetrain, a couple Mooers, Joyos, a Timmy clone, etc. This is my first high-end pedal, and I get it now. I had been looking for a Vox-type OD for higher gain, almost Brian May sound, and this easily replaces my (ahem) Joyo AC Tone. I know that sounds silly, but I had been happy with my cheap setup. ;)

First of all, it's quiet, even cranked--my biggest complaint about the Joyo. Great tone, superb clarity. At first I was disappointed, because I couldn't get to the gain level I wanted without the boost cranked. Then I read about the internal trim pot. Apparently, it had been turned down. Cranked that sucker up, and now it's all there!

I'll probably keep my Timmy clone for some lower gain stuff. Not sure if the boost side of the Ace Thirty quite gets me there for the low gain stuff that I like.

Anyway, it's all downhill from here. Nothing but a Klon and a Kingsley will do. :D

Do you use the wampler ace thirty direct to pa?

expensive pretty pedals are great. youll get so excited it becomes the best thing youve ever heard. time passes and you start listening with your ears again and lose interest.

Beakertwang

Do you use the wampler ace thirty direct to pa?
Haven't tried it yet. I have a Joyo American Sound (Tech 21 Blonde clone) that I use for this every week in my church band. I have a Carl Martin Rock Bug for a speaker sim/DI at the end of my board. Works great. From what I understand, the Wampler pedals (Black, Tweed, Plexi, Thirty) aren't really made to be preamps or amp simulators. But I'll give it a chance.

expensive pretty pedals are great. youll get so excited it becomes the best thing youve ever heard. time passes and you start listening with your ears again and lose interest.
It's not price that gets me. I'm actually a bit of a value hunter. But the Ace Thirty works for me every time I use it. (so far :D )

alvin_22

Haven't tried it yet. I have a Joyo American Sound (Tech 21 Blonde clone) that I use for this every week in my church band. I have a Carl Martin Rock Bug for a speaker sim/DI at the end of my board. Works great. From what I understand, the Wampler pedals (Black, Tweed, Plexi, Thirty) aren't really made to be preamps or amp simulators. But I'll give it a chance.

It's not price that gets me. I'm actually a bit of a value hunter. But the Ace Thirty works for me every time I use it. (so far :D )
Thanks i also use a joyo american sound for church. How does the rock bug help in your sound?

Beakertwang

Thanks i also use a joyo american sound for church. How does the rock bug help in your sound?
I got it mostly so I could go XLR direct to the snake, but I was very pleased with the sound. It makes it more responsive and amp-like. Of course, this kind of stuff is subjective (YMMV, and all that) but I would highly recommend it.

I have a friend who gigs a lot in bars, and he has one on his board along with a T21 Liverpool, just in case he doesn't feel like dragging his Dr. Z along. Of course, it's not like have a great tube amp pushing air at you, but it works.

alvin_22

I got it mostly so I could go XLR direct to the snake, but I was very pleased with the sound. It makes it more responsive and amp-like. Of course, this kind of stuff is subjective (YMMV, and all that) but I would highly recommend it.

I have a friend who gigs a lot in bars, and he has one on his board along with a T21 Liverpool, just in case he doesn't feel like dragging his Dr. Z along. Of course, it's not like have a great tube amp pushing air at you, but it works.
Thanks will try your reccomendation

Beakertwang

I wouldn't recommend doing that. You'll need cabinet emulation after that. The best type (IMO) is impulse response based.
Thanks for jumping in, Brian!

Would using the Rock Bug at the end of my chain work for that?

Also, I know what you mean, but for the all the noobs who have no idea, could you explain what you mean by "impulse response based." They would appreciate it. :D

Trending Topics