1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

My first soft V neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 5F6-A, Apr 16, 2018.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

My main Fender style guitar is a custom-made 62 replica with late 60s grey bobbin style pickups (see below) in Olympic White. It's fairly accurate so the neck profile at the 1st fret is as expected rather shallow with a progressive, nice taper. 7.25" radius. It follows profile number 3 below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I would like to have a 50s broadcaster type for playing blues, rockabilly and jazz. Whilst my Strat type guitar is my 'to go' hippy / hendrixy / 60s dream machine, I'd now like to switch to a a more workshorse, vintage Tele style that feels and sounds about a decade earlier than the Strat. It'll have a broadcaster type bridge pickup and a CC type in the neck for those 40's jazzy / T-Bone Walker moments.
    Never really had a guitar with a soft V neck before but I feel it'd be the right profile for such guitar (type 2). What do you think?

The Strat profile is nice if a little bit on the slim side. I compared it to a friend's real 62 and the profile is almost identical (i.e. thin-ish). What I do NOT like are 70s type 1, Wizard type 5 or PRS Santana clubby U profiles. I guess I'm after a slightly more substantial 60s neck.... any advice? do you think it'll tick all the boxes? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

I always enjoyed the soft v (#2) and built a number of them for other players. It just feels right in my hands. I have not heard too many who did not like them, but everyone is different…

Good luck.

3. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I like musikrafts V-C neck. Soft v into a medium c. Soft Vs can get tricky though depending on nut width. You wont know until you try it.

friend33 likes this.
  4. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

What nut width is the ideal with soft v necks? Thanks

5. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

Thats all personal opinion. The go to nut width is 1.650. Some guys like 1 11/16 for a wider neck. Nothing is ideal. Just saying that nut width matters and is noticeable when looking at specs.

5F6-A likes this.
  6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

I have a SBMM Cutlass with a soft-V neck. It’s a bit narrow, but works well for my short fingers. Maybe that’s something you can find locally to try out the shape in person?

7. Mentat

Mentat Member

I love the soft v profile. It sure would be nice if Fender offered them in the American Pro line along with medium jumbo frets.
    I don't like needing to by a relic custom shop just to get the neck profile I want.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    5F6-A likes this.
  8. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I think it is entirely personal preference, and very likely related to playing style. I like a soft V, and no shoulder, but I think it is because I put my thumb over the top of the neck, and I have also got used to it on my old Gibson acoustic. The nicest I have ever tried was a mid-2000s American Deluxe V neck, maybe someone knows what profile that is. If I was a neoclassical shredder I might like #5 best.

5F6-A likes this.
  9. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

the Musikraft 57 v lies between #2 and #4. Less shoulder then 2, but not as sharp as 4. My go to neck

5F6-A likes this.
  10. Stirange

Stirange Member

the cutlass musicmans are great. A soft v to a c. Mine is the first guitar I have ever owned that is truly without a nitpick. I tried a few of them and the quality was comparably excellent accross every example I played.

11. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

I've measured my Strat style guitar with C neck. Trad 1.650" nut. Width at 1st fret is 0.856" and 0.998" at 12th fret.
    I'm thinking a MusicKraft Blackguard 1950-51 profile soft V fro my project tele. Width at 1st fret is 0.890" and 1.0" at 12th fret. Should the transition be easy enough.... on paper difference is only minimal.

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I have two 1982 Dean babies with soft V necks. They're very nice.