My first Suhr Classic on it's way now!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Reeek, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Reeek

Reeek Member

Well, I pulled the trigger on one that Indoor Storm in North Carolina had in stock.

"Maybe" not the color I would have chosen but everything else is right on or close. I hemmed and hawed about the neck profile. I may have wanted an even C with a slightly larger size than the Standard C .810 - .930 but I am pretty fluid between various radii and neck shapes/sizes. I think I'll like this neck actually. And even the color. Since it's Swamp Ash, I wanted a trans color anyway and white would have been one of them. The deeper blues look good too but that's moot now :D

So, by next week, I will have it!

Now I need to start selling a couple items I don't use much anymore ;)

http://www.indoorstorm.com/product_info.php?products_id=2377

2. Doug

Doug Member

Congrats on your new Suhr!

Have you tried the various Suhr neck profiles? I thought the same thing as you about the 60's C standard. I like big necks, generally. I love the huge neck on my R7. On my Suhr Classic, though, the 60's C standard just feels right to me. I had the oportunity to try out the 60's C medium, the even C medium, and a couple of the V's. My favorite by far was the 60's standard. It doesn't feel small at all, but is very comfortable all the way up the neck. The satin finish feels perfect, almost like bare wood.

Enjoy! :)

Doug

3. OLIE J

OLIE J Member

Congrats Reeek! You're going to love that guitar I'm sure.
    I'm very picky about neck size and shape. I have big hands and most Fender necks feel too small to me. My Suhr Classic has the same neck shape as yours and it is perfect.

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

Congrats Reeek! You're going to love that guitar I'm sure.
    I'm very picky about neck size and shape. I have big hands and most Fender necks feel too small to me. My Suhr Classic has the same neck shape as yours and it is perfect

You guys make me feel really good about it then because you both sound like me in preferences. Thanks!

5. Antero

Antero Member

Looks awesome, Reeek. Congrats!

6. dookie

dookie Member

You won't be sorry, Reeek...

I'm willing to bet you buy another in a year...

7. trucks

trucks Member

Reeek,

You certainly arrived at a high quality and beautiful instrument. Congrats!

Gary

8. MikeP

MikeP Member

Congrats !!
    Indoor is great to work with eh?
    I just bought the Classic T on the same page as yours. GJS215
    Same color too trans white/ Mary Kay

Wait till you see it. The pics don't do it justice.
    That Mary Kay is nice. Super with the Maple neck
    I bet you will like the neck too. I was like you & pretty much played bigger necks. Then I got a Classic with that same 810-930 neck as yours. Loved it so much I got the T with the same profile.
    Congrats!
    Have fun!

9. Den

Den Member

Congrats Reeek ... you can't go wrong with one of John's creations. We'll be waiting for your report!

10. Reeek

Reeek Member

Just got back from a cousin's wedding in San Jose.

Thanks Guys! I appreciate it a lot. I'm jazzing right now and a thorough review will be forthcoming once I get my hands on it ;)

antero, I just saw I have a PM from you,

I'll reply soon! Sorry for the delay, dude . . . :)

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

Awesome, what a coincidence.

Wow . . . I own a John Suhr guitar now. I'm in disbelief a little bit. Haven't laid hands on it yet either!

Here's what's so cool about this. I've been wanting an S style or T style for a LONG time but have never been happy play any. The closest was a good friend's Fender Strat Ultra.

I owned a Carvin Bolt T and it was a really fine guitar but I never bonded with it. I had trouble with the AP11 pickups. They always sounded like the strings were too low. Or like the amp needed turned up when it shouldn't have to be. And the strings were higher than my other guitars because I needed to put a shim in it and never did. To Carvin's credit, I ordered it all mahogany. Neck and body and maybe the S style guitar is not suited to that combo.

I just got a Korean S copy and am just not happy with it at all and I installed a calibrated set of Quarter Pounds in it.

I KNOW this JS Classic is going to end that drought. I already do.

And John Suhr, those sound clips Indoor Storm posts are really helpful. They play through a Carr Rambler and the tone/fidelity of the clips, IMHO, are pretty good and actually depict the semi-subtle differences in each guitar.

Your guitars sound SWEET even though I know that it's a little like trying to judge real color on a monitor.

I went exactly with your advocation of one piece maple neck on an ash body.

I own a John Suhr guitar now. I'm amazed. I've always been able to have pretty much any axe I want but I always tried to get cheap anyway. Except for the 9.5 1967 Epiphone Emperor my dad gave me, I never really went above the $1300 price. Those are/were Carvins so that is a high quality $1300 as long as you like shredder necks only of the past when I bought mine.

I own a John Suhr guitar now lol I have to laugh, in a good way.

dookie said I'll probably buy another Suhr within a year. I think he may be right because I'm still jonsing for a real T style guitar too . . .

12. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

My Classic T also has the 60's C standard, but with the 1.687 nut width. It's a great neck that is as big as my smaller sized hands can handle, yet very comfortable.

Eddie at Indoor Storm will make sure that you're happy with it as well. Great store and great guys.

JT

13. evhfan

evhfan Member

i bought mine from indoor storm also...with the same neck...i love it!...

14. Reeek

Reeek Member

I should have it no later than Thursday :D

Thanks for all the encouragement. I know this will be the S style guitar that finally takes me over the edge for this type of guitar. None have really done it yet but some have come close.

I'm not a picky guitar player at all anyway so it's more about the intangibles that come with certain guitars for me but of course, they have to sound good too! ;)

15. Den

Den Member

Reeek ... what amp will you be playing your new Suhr through?

16. Reeek

Reeek Member

Hi, Den,

My number 1 right now is a fully restored 1969 SF Twin Reverb with the original gray JBL's that are in 100% working condition. Uncle Spot blackfaced it for me and it's running mostly Mullard preamps tubes (except the reverb driver), JAN Philips 7581A from KCA and an RCA rectifier.

I will also play it a lot through my three Sano amps:

2 each 160R's 1x12's from different years, one with 2 Mullard EL84's and RCA preamps and one with RCA EL84's (the charcoal flashing ones) and original Tesla NIB ECC803S's. Each has a 30 watt ceramic Blue Dog in them.

1 each Sano BA-1 1x15 with two each of the charcoal RCA EL84's and I just replaced the Telefunken smooth plate with one of the Tesla NIB ECC803 because they are a tad brighter than the Telfunken and Mullard 12AX7's. It has a Weber ceramic Califronia 15 with an aluminum dome.

I will play it through my Hi-Mu recording head. A boutique, super nice champ type amp but handmade with impeccable crafstmenship. That will be played through a 2x12 Avatar G212H cab loaded with two ceramic California 12's.

I have an Uncle Spot Super Reveb Clone like Mountainblues being built now. Almost done which will challenge the Twin for number 1 I think.

Some of my other amps are seen in the photo album in my sig line but a few of those are gone. Primarily those I listed will be used though. Right now, the Twin and Sano 160R's get most of my play time.

17. Den

Den Member

Sounds like an awesome lineup. You're going to be in tone heaven when your new baby arrives.

18. Reeek

Reeek Member

I know. I have no doubt. If this experience is what I think it is, I'll have his T style by my birthday next May too. A T style for sure ;)

I'm having spiritual hallucinations thinking about that Suhr Classic strapped on and looking at my Twin Reverb, Uncle Spot SR and my #1 Sano all lined up in front of me waiting for the party to begin. :cool:

19. Antero

Antero Member

The Uncle Spot has been in the works for a while now, neh? Is it the 4x10?

20. Reeek

Reeek Member

Hi, antero, my friend.

Yeah, it has been. 6 months or so now. Much slower than I anticiapted but I trust he'll finish it and when it's finished, I won't look back. I paid half down on it and I know most of it is finished but Ron has had some things going on out of his control so I'm not going to ride him. I just hope I get the amp someday soon.

It is the 4x10 Super Reverb clone with his 3 knob reverb. Dual 6L6GC.

Rick