My first Suhr. Which fretwire?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sumis, Nov 5, 2005.

1. sumis

sumis Member

[Posted this on the Suhr forum as well. Hope its ok, and that I'm not annoying anyone.]

I'm just about to order my first Suhr and could use some advice on the "nature" of the Medium SS fret size (former 6105, i.e. 0.055”/0.090"). John and Ed has been really helpful (how can anyone NOT buy a guitar from you guys?), but I'm still not sure about what to choose between Medium and Jumbo (0.057”/0.110) size.

So, I'm wondering if any of you guys can tell me about your experiences of the tall/narrow type in relation to tall/wide type. Especially if anyone has gone from the latter to the former, and if anyone has tried the new Stainless Steel Jumbo (which I might go for).

I like instruments that are very easy to play, and I'm pretty used to Jumbo tall/wide fretwire. The Medium is as tall though, and everyone raves about it. I do a lot of legato and tapping, and although my touch is light it's not extremely light, and I prefer LOW action. I'm lazy ("effortless" legato) but not too lighthanded (I like to squeeze and pound things from tome to time). I use .10-.46 strings.

What do you think? Am I adult enough for Medium? Will they suit me? Or should I go with the HUGE new Jumbo SS?

I would REALLY appreciate it if any of you would like to share your thoughts.

Thanks.

2. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I have a Suhr with 6105s, and one with heavy frets (6100s, I believe). There feels like there is something missing with the 6105s. Most of my guitars have 6100s, which is what I am used to as well. My suggestion would be to go with the 6100s, or whatever is the equivalent.

-Mark

3. artandink

artandink Member

Of the sixteen high-end guitars I currently own (Bakers, Lentzes, Grosh, Fender, McInturff and Suhrs), I prefer Suhr's 6105 SS (Pleked) the most. Like playing on glass. Enuf said.

4. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I've got 6100's on my Suhr and they feel great. I've had 6105's on many guitars and like those alot too. If I had my choice now, I'd go with 6100's on almost everything.

5. renico00

renico00 Member

6105's are my favorite. With a nice crowning, I've found them to feel the most precise...

j

6. sumis

sumis Member

thanks a lot for your help. what about the experience of the "tallness" of the fret height? does the Medium/6105 have a more "scalloped" feel since it is narrower?

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

When I order a Suhr guitar (and I will someday), I'll order one without stainless steel frets, I think stainless steel frets add a bit of high end unwanted *ping* to the tone that I don't find appealing, especially if like me you usually play straight into an amp

Everything else about Suhr Guitars I find spectacular, and it is no problem ordering them with "normal" (not Stainless Steel) frets

As for size, I like 6150 with an extra crown on them, somewhat like Fender's "medium-jumbo" frets

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've had all of my vintage pieces refretted with 6105s. Like them the best out of all the frets I've ever played.

9. Reeek

Reeek Member

All my guitars except my 1967 Epi Emperor are 6100 until I got my Suhr with 6105 SS and I am really happy with them.

10. sumis

sumis Member

You guys are really helpful. Thanks! I guess I'm tending towards Medium/6105 SS now.

11. A440

A440 Supporting Member

I prefer 6150 wire which is much like what are on PRSi

I have 6105 on some axes, and 6100 on my Suhr S.

depends what YOU like. I would recommend trying various guitars at your local shop to see what you prefer.

12. stratofied

stratofied Member

My vote is for 6105.