My first Tele - WOW

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sws1, Aug 12, 2005.

1. sws1

sws1 Member

I've always owned and played humbucker guitars. Gibsons, PRS, Anderson. I've purchased a few strats, only to sell them because I couldn't play them well. Not sure why. I do own a Suhr classic which I really like, however, it's still a strat.

I wanted to try a Tele to add another tone to my arsenal. Plus lots of players that do cool rhythm stuff play teles. I've always attributed the sound to the amps they're using. Nonetheless, I took the plunge and bought a use MIJ 62 reissue. Upgraded with Fender Broadcaster pups. Alder w/ rosewood.

WOW - I LOVE this guitar. I love the tones. I love the way i play with it. I find myself playing more interesting rhythm stuff. And it doesn't play like a strat. The pups are not as "peaky". I seems more forgiving than a strat. It's taking a bit of getting used to the string spacing being wider, but that's not too big of deal.

I might actually have to debut this at my gig next weekend. Very excited.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

I think the biggest mistake of my life will be that I waited until I was 36 to buy my first tele. It's a "where have you been all my life?" type feeling with the two that I own.

3. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

I also mainly play Humbucking guitars. But I find that when I am on a couch and need a guitar, or when I need to do some cool rhythm stuff (as you have found) I always reach for the Tele. Dont know what it is, but Tele's are just tone MACHINES! :dude Congats!

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Most LP players dig Teles. Its a big chunk of wood..........no trem. They sound beautiful.

:cool:

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

Well if that's the case, then I'll have to get a LP and see if the reverse is true. (Another guitar I've never owned one of)

7. Roe

Roe Member

after playing a LP std and a strat for years, I now prefer a hollow warmoth esquire with a kinman broadkaster PU.
    My other favorite guitar is a Gretsch 6131MY with TVClassics and big frets.
    Now I dont' play my strat, LP or 335 very often.

8. sws1

sws1 Member

What I don't understand is how it can sound so different than a strat, but yet they both have single coils. I was expecting a very peaky tone.

Maybe it's the fact that the action is higher on tele. Maybe the pups are set lower. Maybe the pups are more compressed, in general.

It does sound great unplugged though.

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I just got my first ever Tele, a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow to be precise. I've been a Les Paul player since 1978, but I have owned a couple Strats over the years too.

I had the same experience as SWS1 - the Tele plays naturally for me. At first handling, it did not have the drastically different feel that a Strat has when compared to a Les Paul.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

I got my first Tele when I was 17. I was a senior in high school and I had been playing my first 'nice' guitar, a Gibson 335, for several years. It wasn't quite 'edgy' enough for a lot of the rock bands I was playing rhythm guitar in (which I vastly prefered to 'lead') and I was wondering where to turn, when one day I heard a brand new song by a brand new band, "The Wait" by the Pretenders and I had my big epiphany - THAT was the rhythm guitar sound I needed. When I found out it was a Tele, that was it.

As much as I grew to know and love the great tradition of Tele guys - James Burton, Albert Lee, Albert Collins, Steve Cropper, Roy Buchanan, Jimmy Bryant, etc...I'm not ashamed to say it was Chrissie Hynde that turned me into a Tele player back in 1980.

To this day, if you put a gun to my head and told me to pick two guitars to use for the rest of my life, I'd have to go with a Tele and a 335 (though my Tele of choice these days is a G&L ASAT Classic with Fralin Hybrid Blues Specials). Ultimately, of course, I'd really prefer if no one stuck a gun to my head at all....

11. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Picture this........ A "T" that plays like that Classic:cool:

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Tele's are great fun; they're hugely versatile, are the absolute, flat out balls to mod, take pedals up the t-hole, and age better than any other guitar ever invented.

Other than that I have no strong feeling about them.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I'm thinking about those same pickups for my ASAT. Are you still playing with a Pretenders sound? I want my ASAT to have Tele twang, but I also want to play blues and pop and I don't want to get too far away from a traditional Tele tone.

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Started out with Singlecuts move to Tele's .. never going back!
    All my singlecuts are sold except for my 2001 R9 which hangs on the well.
    I've been trying out some strats but .. can't seem to get into them.

15. MikeP

MikeP Member

I think it is a lot of things. The mass of the wood, The fact that it is a string thru the body & the string break angles out of the body & over the bridge. The bridge plate also contibutes a lot as does the brass barrels.
    Nice huh? ;)

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm not sure...........Teles have sustain and can be a nice change from the big boomyness I find in LP's ...............but I'm not so sure someone used to the highs and clarity of a Tele would dig a FAT LP. One fav. guitar on my radar for the future is the McInturff Terry Caster..................:dude That guitar just looks and sounds incredible. :p

17. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Great for a lot of different styles, blues, rock, jazz. Some of my favorite Tele players were Ted Greene, Linc Chamberland, Danny Gatton and the list goes on.

18. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

That really looks nice.

19. Den

Den Member

:D