• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

My first upgrade project

METAL

Member
Messages
338
I'm more of a guitar player but when writing and recording songs, I need a bass. I decided to get a cheap Ibanez Gio bass just for that purpose and I kept it stock. It got to a point where I didn't really like the pickups or feel, and it didn't stay in tune too well. I was initially going to purchase a better bass, but instead decided to take it as an opportunity to learn!

This was around a month and so process, just because I ended up making a lot of mistakes and changing my mind but the end result and experience I gained made it so worth it. I disassembled the bass and stripped the paint. My initial idea was to spray paint it a galaxy black colour. The biggest time waster was stripping the paint (wasted time doing ineffective ways instead of the quickest way for me, using paint stripper and power sanding it off). After doing so and not liking the look or feel and the imperfections of the spray cans compared to a factory finish, I stripped everything (once again), and decided to just do a simple dark stain then applied a couple layers of a wipe on poly.

In addition to how it looks, I also changed the electronics and pickups to EMG. Now it has a single active EMG in the bridge and 1 volume 1 tone. Moved the output jack to the front. Changed the stock tuners to a set of Grovers, it stays in tune way better now.

I did make some mistakes along the way and the job isn't perfect, but it plays, feels and sounds way better than it did before.

Here's how it looked before:



And here's how it looked after all the upgrades and work:


 
Last edited:

METAL

Member
Messages
338
Why didn’t you use an existing hole for the jack though?
Problem with it was the output jack that came with the EMG pickup (which I had to use) was to short to fit though the existing output jack hole. Tried to do work to it to make it fit but couldn’t get it right. Then decided just to put it in the front.
 

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
3,382
Problem with it was the output jack that came with the EMG pickup (which I had to use) was to short to fit though the existing output jack hole. Tried to do work to it to make it fit but couldn’t get it right. Then decided just to put it in the front.
But you couldn't use one of the existing front holes? You plugged 3 of them, then drilled a new hole for the jack.
 

METAL

Member
Messages
338
But you couldn't use one of the existing front holes? You plugged 3 of them, then drilled a new hole for the jack.
What happened was there were a bunch of knobs with the previous electronics I didn't need or want anymore so I pugged those up. Those wouldn't work for me for the output jack, didn't like the location. Then I ended up drilling for the output jack twice, the first time I didn't like the location. So now I have 3 stupid plugged holes but whatever it's all good haha.
 

Lobotomie

Member
Messages
845
What happened was there were a bunch of knobs with the previous electronics I didn't need or want anymore so I pugged those up. Those wouldn't work for me for the output jack, didn't like the location. Then I ended up drilling for the output jack twice, the first time I didn't like the location. So now I have 3 stupid plugged holes but whatever it's all good haha.

Aw I see!

Honestly I didn’t notice the plugs at first.

Looks killer :cool:
 




Trending Topics

Top Bottom