• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My floyd rose keeps going out of tune

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Good lord this thread is frustrating. @Fowleri I'm not sure if you're trolling us or what the deal is. You've been offered a lot of advice and you seem to be refusing to take any of it. I can understand not wanting to sink more money into a guitar if you don't think the outcome will be to your satisfaction. There's three paths that I see at this point:

1. Figure out the issue with the tech and have your issue solved.

2. Sell the guitar, but be honest about the issue. You've posted in a public forum about the "issues" you've had and indicated you're willing to scam a buyer. Bad idea. Even if you delete this thread now, there's a record of it. If you sell it, you'll likely have to take a hit on the price and move on.

3. Deck the trem, lock it in place and play it as a hardtail.
It’s a lemon, man. Unfixable.

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
Your guitar does not have issues from the factory. If there is an issue, it from other users.

Also, you keep talking about "slightly out of tune with my clip on tuner". Are you hearing the guitar being out of tune, or are you saying its out of tune because of this tuner? Clip on tuners in general suck and are unreliable at best in most cases.

That's why I'm going to take to another tech to take a look at, then based on that I'll make a decision.

Well, if this guitar already had issues from the factory, then is unlikely I will the same issues with a new one.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for weeks, already took it to a tech for setup, didn't help much if at all, so I'll take it to another, I don't know if is truly a lemon or not, but if two people sold it, there is a high possibility

the fact that it was sold on GC is also suspicious, that means it was not being sold as a return but as a third party, so probably 3 people owned it before. I messaged the seller who sold me this guitar about the tuning issues before and he disappeared never responded

Fowleri

Good lord this thread is frustrating. @Fowleri I'm not sure if you're trolling us or what the deal is. You've been offered a lot of advice and you seem to be refusing to take any of it. I can understand not wanting to sink more money into a guitar if you don't think the outcome will be to your satisfaction. There's three paths that I see at this point:

1. Figure out the issue with the tech and have your issue solved.

2. Sell the guitar, but be honest about the issue. You've posted in a public forum about the "issues" you've had and indicated you're willing to scam a buyer. Bad idea. Even if you delete this thread now, there's a record of it. If you sell it, you'll likely have to take a hit on the price and move on.

3. Deck the trem, lock it in place and play it as a hardtail.
refusing to take any advice? Everything they have told me check I have checked. Everything they had told me to check here I have done, so what. Its easy to say just find a better tech, what if that doesn’t solve my issue? This also assumes good techs are eveywhere to be found, maybe there are no good tech in my area, im not going to be paying tech after tech to find out.

only good advice is find a better tech which i will do, easier said that done tho but if it doesn’t solve my issue then what im not going keep paying more money for another tech and so on

Fowleri

Your guitar does not have issues from the factory. If there is an issue, it from other users.

Also, you keep talking about "slightly out of tune with my clip on tuner". Are you hearing the guitar being out of tune, or are you saying its out of tune because of this tuner? Clip on tuners in general suck and are unreliable at best in most cases.
i can hear is out of tune too and ive checked with a pedal tuner as well same thing

IanRubbish

Another thing that has messed tuning up on all of my guitars is the two posts being different heights. I would take the spring and string tension totally off and measure them, make sure they are dead on the same, then go back to the process. I have heard people say that the posts being different heights doesn't hurt, but ive never had a trem function correct when the posts or the pivot screws were not the same height, and ive had techs not get this right. It does seem like you are over it though, put it for sale, advertise it has tuning issues and move on, you will never love it.

disconnector

It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Gold Supporting Member
I've wondered if a spring can go bad, but after owning dozens of guitars over the years, I figured I was just being paranoid. What does a bad spring look/sound like?
After nearly losing my mind with tuning issues with my RG I looked closely at my springs and could see that the spring wires on one of the springs were a bit "kinked" in a spot. I looks like someone had bent the spring hard once and actually bent the spring wire a bit. The result was inconsistent spring pressure which for me led to tuning insanity. It simply wouldn't stay in tune - sometimes it was sharp and other times it was flat . . . but only by 5 cents or so. It was enough to make it sound a little warbly and it drove me insane.

When I noticed the kinked spring I pulled a spring out of my Strat and slapped it in - and the problem was solved.

I've been playing Floyds since they came out. I LOVE the tuning stability and I'm happy with the tone. If I had my choice I'd replace every trem on every guitar I own with one!

Last edited:

Sean6247

I've wondered if a spring can go bad, but after owning dozens of guitars over the years, I figured I was just being paranoid. What does a bad spring look/sound like?
Springs do go bad. A bad spring will not retain the same tension as consistently as a good spring. Get a set of new springs from Stewmac (stewmac.com) I think they are around $5 and you problem will most likely be solved.

Floating trems like the Edge Trem and the Floyd Rose rely on exact tensions in opposite directions to maintain the tune of the guitar. The tuning machines apply force in one direction, and the trem springs apply force in the opposite direction. If the springs have lost even a little bit of their ability to retain tension, you will have tuning issues.

When I ran my shop doing set-ups and repairs, a spring replacement was standard on set-ups for floating trems. I learned the hard way by re-doing set-ups because Edges, Floyds, and even Strat trems would not stay in perfect tune.

disconnector

It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Gold Supporting Member
refusing to take any advice? Everything they have told me check I have checked. Everything they had told me to check here I have done, so what. Its easy to say just find a better tech, what if that doesn’t solve my issue? This also assumes good techs are eveywhere to be found, maybe there are no good tech in my area, im not going to be paying tech after tech to find out.

only good advice is find a better tech which i will do, easier said that done tho but if it doesn’t solve my issue then what im not going keep paying more money for another tech and so on
My last reply to the thread for sure . . . you seem determined to drag this out over as many pages as possible.

@Fowleri - have you done all of the things that I mentioned? You completely disassembled the guitar and checked the nut tightness, the stud condition, and the knife edges of the trem? As other folks mentioned you made sure that the locking pads were on correctly? You checked the truss rod to see if it was flapping loose? You changed the strings? Sometimes strings are simply bad out of the box - personally I'm cursed when it comes to D'Addarios. Did you go to Ibanezrules.com and run through Rich's setup checklist? Did you carefully and with attention to detail check all of the things this thread has asked you to do?

Guitars aren't "lemons". A lemon comes from a complex device like a car that has many extremely complex interacting parts that can create second and third order problems that are impossible to troubleshoot. A car has thousands of interacting parts with both electrical and mechanical details that require teams of graduate trained engineers and PhD mathematicians to track. A guitar on the other hand is literally a chunk of wood and a few metal bits that folks can (and do) manually carve out of a block of wood with chisels and files. A Floyd (or Edge or whatever) is just a chunk of metal - and the Edge or Lo-Pro is a generally superior version of it. They are too simple for complex interactions and second/third order effects.

Check all the parts and make sure they are correctly functioning and correctly installed. If they are it *will* work correctly.

Like I tell my boy when he gets frustrated with a mechanical device - "there's no such thing as bad luck son - just lack of attention to detail".

Last edited:

Strummer9

As someone who had this exact same problem, make sure you are stretching the strings. Even if you think you're stretching them, you're probably not stretching enough. You have to really get your fingers under the string and stretch. Go up and down the fretboard stretching each string. Tune back up to pitch, stretch again, and repeat until it doesn't go out of tune.

RCM78

A new guitar well setup? Makes no sense and from GC where they dont check anything

then why do people take their new guitars for setups?

I didn’t even tune or unlock the nut on that the new one and it stayed perfectly in tune, yet my used one regardless of what Ive tried, keeps going of tune

its easy to say oh just go to another tech, find a better tech as if it was free and easy to do, maybe you have access to good techs in your area not everyone has the same luxury. Ive looked everywhere and cant find any good techs except kids working on guitar center.

i found one 1 hour away from me, seems to have more experience with trems but that doesn’t guarantee my issue will be solved. I could spend $50-100 for a setup and still have the issue.
I wouldn't bring a guitar to a tech for the minor issue you're having. I'd fix it myself...

Sean6247

Springs do go bad. A bad spring will not retain the same tension as consistently as a good spring. Get a set of new springs from Stewmac (stewmac.com) I think they are around $5 and you problem will most likely be solved.

Floating trems like the Edge Trem and the Floyd Rose rely on exact tensions in opposite directions to maintain the tune of the guitar. The tuning machines apply force in one direction, and the trem springs apply force in the opposite direction. If the springs have lost even a little bit of their ability to retain tension, you will have tuning issues.

When I ran my shop doing set-ups and repairs, a spring replacement was standard on set-ups for floating trems. I learned the hard way by re-doing set-ups because Edges, Floyds, and even Strat trems would not stay in perfect tune.
I was wrong about the $5. They are $17. Here’s the link. https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...los/floyd-rose-noiseless-tremolo-springs.html

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of responses here that I didn't read so sorry if this was covered. If the guitar had been dropped, there might be physical damage where the bridge posts are mounted. That would cause instability. Another thing I've seen is if the two posts aren't the same height, the bridge knife edges will not be on a horizontal plane with each other, which is not ideal. Other than structural damage or a material defect in the hardware, the only times in 40 years I couldn't keep a double-locking system completely in tune was caused by a setup issue,

Beauchamp

Look very closely at the nut while you do some dive bombs, if you can see or feel any movement of the nut itself, that could be your problem.

Fowleri

Lots of responses here that I didn't read so sorry if this was covered. If the guitar had been dropped, there might be physical damage where the bridge posts are mounted. That would cause instability. Another thing I've seen is if the two posts aren't the same height, the bridge knife edges will not be on a horizontal plane with each other, which is not ideal. Other than structural damage or a material defect in the hardware, the only times in 40 years I couldn't keep a double-locking system completely in tune was caused by a setup issue,
It was dropped it has paint chips especially on the bottom corner so it was drop right on the bottom corner

i didnt drop it lol and thats how the seller bought it too so i dont know

rawkguitarist

Serious couple of questions. I'm not shamming you just need some perspective on why this thread has progress as it has.

1. How long have you played guitar? Why? Because it took me probably a decade to decently understand how to set up a guitar and even hear what I needed to hear.

2. Besides the one you had for 2 weeks, have you ever had a guitar with a locking trem?

Fowleri

Serious couple of questions. I'm not shamming you just need some perspective on why this thread has progress as it has.

1. How long have you played guitar? Why? Because it took me probably a decade to decently understand how to set up a guitar and even hear what I needed to hear.

2. Besides the one you had for 2 weeks, have you ever had a guitar with a locking trem?
been playing for over a decade and i can solos for dimebag darrrel so im not a noob

always owned hardtail so this was my first floyd rose style trem but there a few things that make me believe there is something wrong with it

2 people owned it before both sold, who knows if there was a third owner that would makeme 4th owner

someone dropped the guitar maybe the first owner but it has a big chip on the left bottom corner and other imperfections

the new one stayed perfectly in tune right out of the box

the seller who sold me this guitar said he bought it off GC which means someone sold it to guitar center, this guy sold to GC, did he buy it used or was the first owner?

for all i know i could be the fourth owner and the fact that it was dropped probably by the first owner maybe caused some structural damage or something which cause it to be sold by every person wjo bought it after

griley

@Fowleri
Just to check. Have you personally ever taken the strings off of this guitar? (all at once)
If yes, when you did so, did you check the nut was solidly bolted to the neck? (don't try and check with any strings on, of the tension will hold it down.)

Also, (without any strings on the guitar) did you inspect the trem knife edges, and the studs? Are they OK, or have they got some wear?

These points should be your first port of call for Floyd issues.

Trending Topics