My Fractal Axe-FX III + FC6 Thread

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jarick, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Pulled the trigger yesterday. Waiting for the big brown truck. As usual, will do a walkthrough on my thoughts as I get used to it.

Continuing to learn and having fun playing with different toys! I'm not looking for the Fractal to fix my idiosyncrasies this time around.

Likely going to flip the FC12 for an FC6. Home use only. Also planning to use as my main interface.

Really looking forward to the new amp modeling, the channel and expanded cab paradigms, and getting back into the high quality Fractal effects and amps.

FractalMB, primal, MIJLOVER and 11 others like this.
  2. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

Showoff :)

ak301 and Jarick like this.
  3. Lord N

Lord N Member

Axe III is awesome.
    When i tried it the other day it felt like it can do everything you need from a guitar modeler and then some....

4. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Enjoy! You are going to love it! Fantastic unit with amazing sounds!

FractalMB, Jarick and X-Mann like this.
  5. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Following this thread & congrats!!!!

It really is an amazing unit & I’ve never had more FUN playing the guitar out of a set-up.

Please share as many pictures, comments, sounds & videos as you can here too! :D

What amp models do you plan on using? I’m loving the different Friedman models.....& discovering some others like the 100 watt Plexi that I never tried before.

Peace! X

6. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

What he said! ;)

PBGas likes this.
  7. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

Enjoy it you will....

FractalMB and PBGas like this.
  8. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

I think you should include a road map of all the places you’ve been over the last year or so. So many different directions it’s hard to keep up :confused: ;)

mikah912 and Jarick like this.
  9. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Member

Congrats! It's pretty much cured my GAS, except I want the FM-3 badly for smaller gigs!

FractalMB, X-Mann and chumbucket like this.
  10. handyman

handyman Member

Congrats, its a fantastic unit! Mine has also cured my GAS.

I made a deal with myself that if I get the III I'll not buy the FM3 and just deal with carrying my rack case. Hopefully I don't fail myself. :)

FractalMB and X-Mann like this.
  11. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

congrats, I'm head over heals with the combo, but I have a FC6

enjoy!

FractalMB likes this.
  12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Absolutely! As with the Headrush deep dive, I really want to get some initial impressions, determine the pros and cons, and help people to figure out which unit might work best for them. I have my preferences, but I don't have an axe to grind, nor do I have any relationships that would bias my opinion.

I wish I had the time and equipment to do more videos and clips of all these different units. At this point, I've owned Eleven Rack, Helix, Helix LT, Fractal AX8, Kemper, and soon Axe FX3, plus I've had extended testing with Amplifire and Headrush Gigboard.

I'll start thinking about this in more detail...I'll want to have a narrative with comparisons, but I'll also want to have some kind of matrix with some scoring/ranking.

Edit: here's something similar I did last year:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-6-helix-vs-fractal-ax8-review-clips.1999771/

13. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Congrats!

It's a great piece of gear

FractalMB and X-Mann like this.
  14. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

This made me LMFAO, as I made the same deal w/ myself too!!!! :rolleyes:

15. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

I'll just come out and say that I wish it was me, ok.

EIDT: Not that I'm unhappy w my Helix, I'd just really like to check it out.

Gearzilla, Jarick and X-Mann like this.
  16. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Honestly, I was concerned about the rack thing at first, but I picked up one of those Gator GRB-3u rack bags and it's no problem at all!

Compared to carrying my Helix in its gig bag, it's about the same weight, 11" shorter in length , 5" wider, and 1" taller in height. Feels almost the same.

Its got a shoulder strap, so I just sling it over my shoulder, throw the FC6 and cables in a backpack, and I'm good to go. I can still easily load in/out in 1 trip with a guitar and a speaker.

17. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

ordered mine last friday... arriving monday... fractal virgin here so... here's to us both being blown away!

FractalMB, Jarick and X-Mann like this.
  18. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

You'll love the III - truly a great sounding piece of gear.

I've gone full circle and then some. Started with the Helix almost 4 years ago and during that time I've been able to own and directly compare it to the AX8, Firebox, Axe III, Kemper. After all that I still choose the Helix platform but have scaled down to the Stomp. There are things about Fractal I like better but more stuff that I don't. It's just gear - and I love all the choices.

Cool to have both the FM3 and Stage as options if I ever decide to go whole hog again with modeling.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  19. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Ordered an FC6 off Reverb as I never intended to keep the FC12, so I'll turn that around pretty quickly.

I'm writing up my reviews of the modelers so far. I'm kicking around using Medium or something to chronicle it in a more evergreen format rather than posts.

Two questions:
    1. Is there any interest in me writing some kind of blog reviews aside from just forum posts? Not sure if it would be more or less interactive or useful.
    2. Would you prefer more of a traditional review or would you prefer me telling more of a story about my experience? I think the former is very useful but may not be as interesting as the latter.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Dr Bonkers likes this.
  20. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

For me nothing beats a narrative with some clips.

:)

Jarick likes this.