My Fractal Axe-FX III + FC6 Thread

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jarick, Jul 25, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

I think the big problem I see there is latency. It can def be overcome w direct monitoring but my focusrite has better mic pres, worse conversion, but better latency performance. Thinking I might try the best of both worlds with spdif out from axe to spdif in on liquid56.

yes, the stock presets are very well leveled and sound great. that said... pretty easy to create a great preset by just dropping defaulted stuff on there. kind of surprised by that.

not sure if I'm oversimplifying but wouldn't the global performance view solve this? you could put a vol/pan right after the input and make it available to the (left side) 4 knobs from the performance view. just a thought... have been playing with this a bit.

someone has opened the door to studio 'glamor shots'... so...
    [​IMG]
    sorry, couldn't resist urge to share that my room is CLEAN(this doesn't happen very often)!

tvegas99 and Jarick like this.
  2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

It took me a few tries but I think I finally got a killer first patch built. Trying to keep it kind of simple. I built it with my P90 Junior so it kind of translates up to humbuckers and down to single coils.

Using two amps, the "old school" Friedman BE and the AC30 Top Boost. BE is set with gain at 4 for a crunch and an 808 Mod boost in the preamp to kick into high gain. AC30 lowered the input a bit to clean up otherwise stock.

Cab block is a combo of the factory cabs ML 4x12 PR75 SM57 + ML 4x12 Brit TV R121. 57 cab is dialed down 3db to fatten up the tone. Really enjoying this new cab block and still haven't had to dive into my IR stash, which is like a new record for me.

5 scenes:
    1 - crunch (BE + a little delay)
    2 - clean (AC30 + a little pitch detune + a little delay)
    3 - high gain (boosted BE + a little delay)
    4 - wet clean (AC30 + chorus + stereo delay)
    5 - wet gain (boosted BE + pitch detune + bigger ducking delay)

I also simplified the FC6 layout to just be a simple 1-5 scene selection and a tap tempo/tuner button. Makes life easy!

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Nice studio rig. How do you like the JBLs?

I thought that for the price they really sound good and were more than good enough for practicing and songwriting.

Jarick likes this.
  4. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

metropolis_4 likes this.
  5. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

They are good for the price like you said but I’m actively looking for an upgrade. I want 6.5-7 inch woofers and a flatter midrange. These are a little hifi sounding.

stratzrus likes this.
  6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

:agree

Yeah I agree. They are a little hi-fi sounding but my tastes tend to go that way as long as it's a just little and not sterile sounding. I found that they had plenty of bottom end at the volumes I was using them for (bedroom rig in a multi-inhabitant house) but they definitely were not designed for concert volume guitar reproduction.

Jarick likes this.
  7. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

8. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

As I was researching ways to mount the Axe 3 somewhere, I decided I was sick of the clutter and everything on my desk. So I made a trip to Ikea and built myself a shelf to keep things out of the way.

Axe 3 will be mounted on a little rack stand on the ground (but off the floor). Also have a headphone stand on the way to keep that tidy.

Went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Yes, my desk was clean two weeks ago and looked like the above picture today. Hopefully getting a lot of the stuff off the main working area will help keep things organized moving forward.

9. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Other things I did this weekend guitar related,

I spent a few hours playing along with albums and making a list of tracks that I know how to play, need to work on, or want to learn. I figure when I start playing out again it's likely going to involve some covers and I'd like to have a bunch in my back pocket.

I tweaked my main patch a tiny bit too, found that there wasn't a big difference between the unboosted and boosted Friedman BE, but the AC30 either felt too clean or too gainy depending on what I wanted. So I added a boost toggle on the AC30 and will try that as my crunch tone, with a little cleaner non-boosted AC30 for cleans and a little less gain on the boosted BE for that sound.

Really though, was fun to do productive things that didn't involve playing with the modeler but through it.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  10. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Another little update,

I'm continuing to play along with songs to learn them and expand my knowledge. Last night I was jamming to the Foo Fighters first album and found the Friedman BE was way too processed sounding. That album was mostly JCM 800. I ended up swapping over to a Dirty Shirley for more of a fuzzy/raw tone, although I may play around with the 800 a bit more too.

I also decided the factory cabs I was using (Greenbacks) where a little too open and wanted a bit more focused sound, so I swapped over to my default favorite impulses, the Ownhammer GNR pack. I used the quick start 57 and 161 mics blended together and it sounds punchy and full but not overly bright or scooped.

Because I am really trying to get away from multiple patches but don't want to give up that BE tone if I want it, I may try doing some trickery with the layouts. I read that you can swap layouts with a hold function, so maybe I'll do something like this:

Scene 1 - AC30 Clean
    Scene 2 - AC30 Clean + Chorus/Delay
    Scene 3 - AC30 Boosted
    Scene 4 - Dirty Shirley Crunch
    Scene 5 - Dirty Shirley Boosted
    Scene 6 - Friedman BE
    Scene 7 - Friedman BE + Detune + Delay

Etc.

Now if I can somehow work in a scene-independent volume boost at the front end, I can do humbuckers and single coils all in one patch for every tone I'm after!

Lastly, I got my rack and headphone stands in last night and they are awesome. The rack stand is a $30 job from On Stage and it fits right under my desk holding it securely. This is actually a much better solution than what I was going to try and rig up myself, at least for now.

Here's the desk in it's current form:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Spent some time with the Morgan AC20 amp. It's a killer clean to crunch amp and I think I'll try it over the AC30 I was using before. Love that you barely have to touch anything to get a great sound, just dial in the gain to taste. Tonight I want to play around with some boosts with the amp and see what different tones I can get out of it.

Also started playing around with the fancy new reverbs. Some of those are really cool sounding! I'm not a big reverb guy but it's fun to goof around with that (admittedly cliched) P&W over the top tone.

12. fretworn

fretworn Member

FWIW ... look up @Yek or edo on FAS forum and get the SSD preamp setting to sit in front of your AC30 for a little extra shimmer on the amp ala the Edge. Honestly, it’s probably on the fractal wiki.

Something like drive low around 2-3, vol 3-4 ( no boost - just to match levels), tone to taste. But look up the real recipe; I’m just guessing.

Jarick likes this.
  13. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

@Jarick What stand is that that you have for your AxeIII?

14. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

On Stage RS7030 - $32 on Amazon

Tri Pedal Reviews likes this.
  15. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

Got a used, get this AXEFX3 coming in from GC in NJ USA, $1666. With 45 day return policy to make sure it's right. I had to have been the 1st person in the world to come across it.
    I called and spoke to the MGR and he told me it was mint, from a guy that always trades with them. He traded this, his Fryette tube PA and a Freidman 4x12 cab for a BOSE PA.
    We'll see, I'm having it shipped to my NH store, if it sucks, I'll return it on the spot.

This was the proverbial ONCE IN A BLUE MOON. Fingers crossed.

16. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Dude; that is a GREAT score! Congrats!

17. AndrewRnR

AndrewRnR Member

Ugh! Haha Saw the listing and was like no way, clicked on it got an error. Then started reading this thread... congrats!

18. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Dude that is a KILLER deal! Anything $2k and under is a deal. Do you have to pay tax/shipping on it?

19. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

This was a great tip! I have spent the last 45 minutes jamming away on this AC20 and it's just inspiring. I actually liked the SDD with gain at 5 and the level down to about 2.5 to keep the same volume. Really works well. I think I found my clean to edge of breakup amp!

I remember really liking the AC20 when I first got the AX8. Just like a lot of other feedback, there's just subtle improvements in the amp modeling that makes it that much better with the 3. I really tried to find an AC20 profile that I loved on the Kemper but nothing was the right feel AND tonality. I think that's why I didn't last so long with that device. On the Fractal it's more work to set up the amp but you can fine tune the gain structure separate from the cabinet tone to make it work while the Kemper it's more combined due to the profile concept (and cab changing helps shift but doesn't fix completely).

I also spun through a bunch of factory cabs just exploring and it's crazy how almost all of them just sound great no tweaks right off the bat. They did a great job with the selections. I honestly think if Helix cabs worked like the Axe 3 and the handful of mics/impulses sounded this good it would be such a better unit.

20. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

no tax, live in NH. $19 to ship.
    Trust me, I felt the same way, that's why I called and interrogated the MGR!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:20 AM