My friend is receiving a donor heart tonight

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jbviper4, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jbviper4

jbviper4 Supporting Member

In the early 90s I lived alone in a 1 BR apartment in Boston. I had a guitar, no talent, drive and no band. My bandmates hooked up with anew guitarist when I decided to drop out, get married and get a job. The new guitarist needed a place to crash a couple of nights a week when the band was in town. The W and I were open to helping out.

This arrangement lasted a year. He would bring his guitar to my place, and amaze me with his fluid play, creativity and willingness to let me slog along on cowboy chords. Eventually I learned some guitar, and he was always ready to teach me something new every time I mastered something (elementary at the time) he showed me. He inspired me to keep at it, listen to different music, and to love the instrument. Thousands of hours and dollars later, here I am with too much gear (but better skills).

About two years ago, he met my son, an aspiring musician with Asperger's - and after a weekend of playing together (on guitar), he decided to send my boy a high end electronic drumkit to encourage him to expand his musicianship. My son ignored it for a few months, but he took to it a year ago and now plays better than half the drummers in town (but I digress, it's about inspiration).

My friend has congenital heart disease. His dad died young (50s I think) and my buddy had his first heart attack in his early 40s. About two years ago, the doctors put him on an external pump - worn on the body, gets hot, is bulky and it's really just a charger while you wait for a donor heart.

We had to go to a friend's funeral in May. He and I split a room, and I was saddened and yet amazed that he had to stop every couple of hours and charge his pump batteries, and that he was living without a pulse but reasonably mobile and healthy. He shared that he couldn't stay on the pump much longer and that he needed a donor, pronto.

It happened today. He's at the hospital fully prepped, and the donor heart is on it's way to Mass General right now. I hope his surgery goes well, and that his donor's family finds peace in this amazing gift to a nice guy (and great guitarist). Just needed to let you know there's some good happening tonight.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Wow. Being an old git, I remember the first heart transplant. Amazing to think it's almost routine now.

Massive, massive mojo to your friend, and, of course, to the donor's family.

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

Healing mojo to your friend...

Scrapperz and jbviper4 like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Let's hope it takes well and he enjoys the fruits thereafter. Fingers Xed for you, bud.

jbviper4 likes this.
  5. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Neat story. The device is a VAD (Ventricular Assist Device) Best of luck to him and hope he got a good one.:aok

sinner and jbviper4 like this.
  6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Gratifying to hear about good fortune bestowed upon the deserving and needy.

Best of luck to him.

jbviper4 likes this.
  7. jbviper4

I forgot the name of the device but that's it. It's not a fun device to live with, but I'm glad he had one. Thanks for the well wishes for my friend.

8. Trinehart

Trinehart Member

Prayers and well wishes sent. My son has had multiple open heart surgical procedures in his short life and I know how hard it is to endure the anguish of watching a loved one go through such a serious thing... Great things are on the horizon for certain!!!!

jbviper4 likes this.
  9. Colnago

Colnago Member

Amazing. This is the stuff I like to hear.

jbviper4 likes this.
  10. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Hope all goes well for him.

jbviper4 likes this.
  11. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

What a great story! Lots of prayers and thoughts out to your friend that he has a successful surgery!

I have colleague who had a replacement heart donated to him a few years back and he has been great since.

Thx for sharing this!

jbviper4 likes this.
  12. jbviper4

I sincerely hope you have the same good fortune in your son's (and your) future as my friend. Stay strong. I don't even know what I would say or do if this was my son.

Trinehart and PBGas like this.
  13. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Wow. Great story. Amazing stuff, really.
    Please keep us updated. Hope it all goes to plan.

jbviper4 likes this.
  14. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

I will not do this justice...

You reached out, and established quite a connection in return.

Your friendship has now touched more than your immediate circles... ripples.

Prayers and positive vibes go out for your friend, as he gets his beat back; as well as for the hero family - who has lost and yet found a way to give.

VooDooClown and jbviper4 like this.
  15. jbviper4

It's amazing. I can't wrap my head around a loss matched by a gain like this. I'm happy and yet have a load of empathy for a family must be grieving hard today. My friend has many gifts left to share, and I hope all goes well. I am sad for the gifts lost by the donor.

relix63 and Mngwa like this.
  16. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Member

As someone who was born with a bad aorta and has had three surgeries in 49 years I feel for your friend. He has been through the ringer physically and emotionally. Sounds like one of those brotherly relationships you have. I hope his tomorrow gets to focus on recovery. Yours too.

jbviper4 likes this.
  17. jbviper4

Best to you. Stay strong. He is like a brother - esp since I'm an only child. He's introverted like me and it is one of those friendships where we could sit in silence for hours and feel satisfied by the connection lol.

Boundcustom likes this.
  18. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

thread is a good reminder to status as organ donor. best of luck to your friend, glad he’s in boston.

bluwoodsman, Mngwa and VooDooClown like this.
  19. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

Dr Christiaan Neethling Barnard 1967
    [​IMG]

jbviper4 likes this.
  20. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

Prayers out for your bud. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly and he lives out his days happily ever after.

jbviper4 likes this.