My Fulldrive II stopped working

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by just ken, Dec 21, 2005.

1. just ken

just ken Member

I'm in a quandry, one of my all time fave pedals is acting up and I'm asking for basic advice/help. I'm not very technically capable with the guts of electronics but, to my novice eye everything looks to be working fine, but I get no sound out of the pedal, just hiss. Both leds light up, I know I'm using good cables, the battery's fine. Are there any basic tests I can run with a multimeter that would help me figure out what's going wrong.

BTW, I don't know about contacting Mike Fuller, I had the pedal modified. It's a 99' flat mids version, but I had a toggle switch installed that engages the mid-hump resistor. So, it's like having a red FDII and the blue FDII in one pedal. But, I've basically voided any warranty and I don't want to trouble the guy.

Many thanks--happy holidays.

Oh, btw, I got the MI Audio Tube Zone the other day. Whoa, verrry nice pedal.

Ken.

2. cameron

cameron Member

Do you get hiss only when the pedal is engaged? i.e. can you bypass the circuit with no ill effects?

3. AL30

AL30 Member

Ken,

Does your bypass work? Do a continuity check on your switches - if it's in your circuit then build this

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/audioprb.gif

It will take you about 5 minutes to build it (even with limited experience), it's built with common parts and it's a great way to debug a circuit.

Your guitar goes into your pedal input.
    The chord from your amp goes to the jack (that you just built)
    Ground one end
    Strum a chord
    Poke around the circuit with the other end.
    When you get no sound you've found your culprit.

AL

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Send Mike the serial number and a description of the problem. I have a Fulldrive 2 from the same time period and it had a switch that malfunctioned. He sent me a replacement switch for free.

Bryan

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Trouble the guy that installed the "void the warranty" toggle switch for you!

6. BrianB

BrianB Supporting Member

That's a pretty basic mod. I would contact Fuller and see what he says. I have no problem repairing pedals but I always send them in and get it done by the builder. I've had great experiences with Analog Man, ZVex, and Dave Fox in that respect. Very minimal cost if any... None of the problems I had were of any fault of their creator btw :)

7. just ken

just ken Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm in Alaska, the shop that did the mod is in Oklahoma, so if it were just a matter of driving down the street I'd take it in. If I can make that continuity tool work that's exactly what I was looking for. Even if I end up contacting M.Fuller it'd be nice to have an idea of what I'm looking for.

BTW, the bypass does work, so when the pedal's not engaged signal gets to the amp. I love my FDII, it'd be nice to keep it kickin' but, truthfully, I love most OD pedals, even cheap ratty ones . . . .:D

Ken.

8. just ken

just ken Member

Thought I'd report back almost a year later. It was the switch. I got new one quite awhile ago, but just this weekend scratched out the time to install it.

Man, I missed by FDII, glad to have it back. Thanks for the help everyone--I love this place. :AOK

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Unfortunately switches goes, and you never quite know when. Glad it's back. What did you use in the meantime?

10. just ken

just ken Member

Bad Monkey and an MI Audio Tube Zone. The Tube Zone arrived just about the same time my FDII stopped working and it's been alot of fun. Different animal altogether, but lots of fun.