• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My Funny Valentine--1964

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
This was so huge for me back in high school. I loved the way they balance such strength and tenderness in this rendition. I always thought it was like great chamber music. Herbie is just brilliant, Miles' playing is incredibly dynamic and dramatic.

jimmyj

I was thinking of this today, too. I can't play the video on my phone. Is this one with George Coleman? They do a great "Stella" as well, imo.

Dajbro

Silver Supporting Member
Yes! I was 16 or 17 and just starting to feel my way into jazz when my mom brought this double album (Four & More + My Funny Valentine) home from the library for me. It blew my mind and still does to this day. So much energy, passion, interplay, dynamics, etc. One of the most listened to albums in my musical life. It never ceases to inspire.

The band was actually pissed at Miles for taking the gig as it was a benefit of some sort and they weren't going to get paid. Miles was established (mid 30s I believe) and making pretty good dough at that point but they were all young musicians and needed the money. They thought that the gig was terrible until they heard the tapes later and realized something pretty special had transpired.

SamBooka

jim hall and bill evans defined it for me. Maybe not the most trad version but this is the title track off of what has been a desert island album for me ever since I bought it. As an added bonus, if people ask what it sounds like when two musicians feed off each other I suggest this.

Trending Topics