My Fuzz Haze just arrived!! Yeeehooo!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Mar 8, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

My Throbak Fuzz Haze (germanium fuzz face clone) just arrived at my doorstep! I haven't plugged it in yet (Aren't we TGP'ers nuts?)
    I'll give a quick review soon. I wish I had the equipment to record sound clips.
    More in a while.

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I spent the last 5 minutes playing around with it. Man, this thing kicks ass.
    Cleans up incredibly well (with a humbucker, no less!). Great sound. I set the level at half, turned the fuzz knob up full, and there was that sound I was looking for. Dynamic too. Great with a Les Paul-type guitar (Dean Evo SS). Really loving it so far. Should be a nice compliment to my Overdrive Boost(killer pedal).
    :AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

The last time I owned a "Fuzz Face" type pedal was the mid to late '80's. I've been trying to figure out exactly what I had ( I had only been playing a couple of years), but this was a Dallas Arbiter reissue. I don't know who owned the name at the time, but I'm almost certain it wasn't Dunlop. It was red, the enclosure was the same, and it said Dallas Arbiter in the smile area on the face, not Dunlop. Don't know who made it, but I remember liking it a lot. I ended up trading it in with a mid-80's Rat, a Scholtz Rockman Distortion, a T.C. Electronic Distortion/Booster, and some other stuff (I know, I know, I was young and didn't know jack about the value of effects! I don't need reminding, believe me!) towards a used Patrick Eggle guitar (British Paul Reed Smith-type electric--I pawned it and didn't have enough to get it back in time; another casualty from my addiction period back in the late '90's-Still kicking myself for that).

Anyway, the Fuzz Haze smokes it. On the website, Jon Gundry talks about "not denuding the circuit of the bass response that made the original such a powerhouse". Boy, he wasn't kidding. This thing's got great bass response and dynamics. And it's kind of hard to explain, but their is a fullness and "realness" to the sound. Also has that great germanium "wave" to it when you hold a note or chord and listen to it trail off. Very nice.

4. 4styx

4styx Member

Sounds like you like it.:AOK

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

You know how it is when you first get a new piece of gear. You become that superhero called "Giddyman". Able to leap small half stacks in a single bound.