My Gear Shuffle Since 1/1/08 (With Pics)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by morglan, Apr 8, 2008.

1. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

After not playing guitar for about 8 years, my son (interestingly, my 7 year old son) got me hooked on Guitar Hero. Since I had never owned a Gibson since beginning to play in the mid 80's, I decided it was wheelin' and dealin' time.

As of Jan 1 2008, I owned the following (I'm sorry now that I didn't take pics of this set-up):

MIM Fender Strat
    DeArmond X155
    1974 Fender Champ (bought in 2000 or 2001 for $140)
    1968 Fender Princeton (bought about the same time for $200)
    Beat up SS Marshall Lead 20 (still sounds pretty good for a ss!)

I sold some odds & ends, and traded the DeArmond, and went to this setup:

[​IMG]

I was happy that I now had my Gibson, (couldn't decide on a Les Paul or an SG, so I got both--great deal too!) but I didn't like the small speaker sound of the Champ, or the fact that the Princeton just did not give that overdriven tube sound (amazing clean sound though).

I ebayed the Champ and Princeton ($250 and $750, respectively!) to get my two new amps, then sold some more odds and ends to pick up the additional SG. Here they are:

[​IMG]

2006 59 Bassman LTD
    Blackheart Little Giant Half Stack
    07 LPVM
    07 Faded SG-3
    SG Classic
    MIM Fender Strat

So, after not buying a single piece of music equipment for about 7 years, I've ended up with nearly $2k worth of gear in less than 3 months! Now if I can just get the GAS to stop--my seven year old wants to be Jimmy Page, and knows exactly what LP he wants (luckily the brand doesn't matter, as long as it's a cherry burst plain top).

I still want another Tele...

2. jumpskirt

jumpskirt Silver Supporting Member

Man... you are on the slippery slope. GAS is unrelenting. I think the idea of gear photos in sequence would be hysterically funny to look a for those of us that find just "The Thing" then change out a short time later for the next piece of gear on the radar screen.

3. loiking

loiking Member

A Fender Champ for a Blackheart? You're crazy....

4. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

Nope. Don't regret it a bit.

I read the hype and praise of the Champ for a couple years before getting one.

I love vintage amps--especially Fenders, but the tinny, buzzy sound that came out of that 8" speaker was the biggest gear disappointment I've ever had.

The Princeton on the other hand, was everything that people say about vintage Fenders. It sounded like heaven--it just wouldn't overdrive. That, and (in my opinion) the prices that amps of this size and vintage are selling for right now is a bubble that's about to burst. To not take advantage of that would have been criminal.

5. loiking

loiking Member

6. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Nice progression there. Just do yourself a favor and don't get into pedals....that's a sickness, man!

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I had the same feeling you did about Princetons that wouldn't overdrive, until I got an attenuator and cranked it. Man, some serious saggy growl, lovin' it now!