My Germino Classic 45 just went south!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big e, Dec 21, 2009.

1. big e

big e Member

I heard the familiar sound of a shorted power tube and look in back long enough to see lightining flashes in one of the power tubes. I could smell a little bit of a burnt smell. I replaced the output tubes (new Tungsol 5881) with another matches set and installed the bias meter. The bias meter was all over the place so I know something else is wrong. I'm thinking maybe a resistor went south when the tube shorted.

I've just sent Greg an e-mail and know I"ll heard back from him real soon. He's always been one of the best to take care of customer problems.

2. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

sounds like tube infant mortality...hard to break a Germino. best of luck- great to have Greg's lifetime transferrable warranty!!!

3. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

And he responds to emails very quickly.
    He's a great guy to deal with.

4. big e

big e Member

Greg responded within a hour via e-mail! Told me to check the HT fuse first. It appears fine. He's going to help me check the resistor on the output tubes next.

Meanwhile I took the Classic 45 out of my Bluesbreaker and put it in my large box head cab so I can keep rocking with my 4x12 cab. Yes I have two Classic 45s! Wow I like the way my second Classic 45 sounds better than the first, may need to get Greg to update my first Classic to sound more like the second one. One difference is the tubes I'm using SED 6L6 in the second one that I like better. Will ask Greg about other differences. Where else are you going to go and get custom tweaking on your amp?