My Germino love thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jw71, Oct 5, 2005.

1. jw71

jw71 Member

Ya know, I don't post very much, but I gotta say, I've had my Germino Lead 55 for about two months now, and I absolutely love it. My band is recording our CD right now (I go to start laying down leads tonight) and I am constantly amazed at the sound of this amp. This thing is a f-ing killer. Every time I turn it on I get a big smile across my face. It has thump to spare, and really gets aggressive for a non-MV amp, but not fizzy. Slightly dirty tones from 1-5 on the volume knob, then turn it up from 6-10 for really slashing tones that rip your head off.

Sorry for the sentimental gushing, but I gotta say that Greg is one hell of an amp builder. I had never had a plexi style amp before, and I know now that I will never have another amp style after this. Now I just can't wait to get a Headroom 100 Superlead. Thank god my band likes to play loud.

We rock out with our cock out!:p :D

Just kidding. Or not.:cool:

Anybody else love those JMP style Germinos? The JTM's are pretty cool, but IMHO, those Lead 55's really got the swat.

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Hey count me in on this one. My Masonette is now my go to amp, even moreso then my Route 66 and that is saying a lot.
    If you have the time and some cash experiment with NOS tubes, mine likes them.

I finally got it on tape (or pro tools) a few weeks ago and it excels in the studio.

Greg is the man, great guy great amps!!
    :dude

3. jw71

jw71 Member

Yeah, I already changed one of the preamp tubes in V1. That's the only other tube I had lying around, but it sounded tighter than the one that came in it, so in it went. I'll probably buy some other tubes to experiment with later, too.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Classic 45 owner here.......absolutely great stuff!

5. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

+1 for the Classic 45

Looking at the Lead 55LV next....or the Club 40.

6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've had my Lead 55 (#10, an early one) for a while now and it never ceases to amaze me. It's everything I ever wanted in an old Plexi and more.

7. johnny q

johnny q Member

I have had my Lead 55 and 4x12 loaded with Heritage G12H's since August and my only dissapointment is not being able to play it enough. I cant wait to bring this puppy to rehearsal - need to move some air (and break in those speakers - stiff)

The day the amp arrived, I fully expected to instantly crank both volumes to "10" and crank out some classic riffs, but I was so enthralled by the clean sounds I spent a good hour there!! Cranked, it does a mean "Misty Mountain Hop" or any Zep circa the 4th album.

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but someone mentioned tubes - has anyone experimented with the Pre or Power tubes for different or better results?? Looks like the Pre tubes are 9th Gen Chinese and the tubes are Groove Tubes, presumably JJ's??

JQ

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I swapped out the KT66's for EL34's in my C45. The EL34 sound has less bass response, which I like very much.

9. Mr.Hanky

NOS tubes are fun, kinda like cooking with spices, often it is a mix of the right spices that make the difference.

Like I said if you have the time and extra coin it is fun but not dramatic. I have a friend that has a nice collection and we would do blind tests. I play he swaps tubes, most good NOS usually float to the top. I did the whole Masonette over time.
    Start with the pre-tubes and go from there. I just put some Brimars in there and they are nice.

Buy used!

10. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

I am loving my Classic 45.....looking in the future to buy another Germino...which one :confused: decisions, decisions:D

11. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Great thread.... Classic 45 owner here with a Germino 2x12/greenbacks. Awesome amp with awesome tone by an awesome amp builder!

I usually use play my amp at around 8'ish with my band, I get a nice crunch at this volume. I think I may purchase an Allen Old Flame for clean stuff though. The Classic 45 has nice cleans but it's hard to get really clean when playing at that volume. There is something about the cleans that come out of a Super Reverb style amp that tickles my fancy.

Mike

12. johnny q

johnny q Member

I was just messin around w/ my lead 55 and thought I would add (again) to this thread.

Yngwie Strat>dod 250, original grey one>Germino w/ channels bridged, both volumes dimed = classic Yngwie tone!!!

Makes sense, being that the only difference is that Yngwie uses real Marshall 50 watters, but damn...this was the real deal!!!

Ok - thats all! :)

JQ

13. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

What does the Lead 55 LV put out wattage-wise with 6V6s?

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

As we speak My Germino LoVo 55 is in transit from a former GP member...............I can't wait to crank it through my EV12L 2x12 loaded Music Man bottom. I hoping to achieve Allman Brothers type nirvana.................I really liked what I heard Gregg playing through the exact amp. Some tell me the Club 40 is the ultimate ABB tone...........I can't see it being that different. We shall soon see...........:dude :dude

15. Mr.Hanky

I'm on the hunt for a lovo55, if anyone has one let me know.
    I have a WTT thread open using my Holow Cobra as bait.

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I love my LoVo 55, best amp I've owned for drive tones and liquid Hendrix cleans... quite a bit more gain than most people would expect from it which suits me just fine. I just currently put a GT Small Bottle 5AR4 rectifier in it which lowered the background noised and tightened the bottom up significantly, I was very surprised as this tube was just to hold me over till some NOS came in, but I think I'll stick with it, I'm really fond of the results. For punk, indie rock, psychedelia and funk-metal stuff, I really can't think of a better amp.

-TJK

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Cool............I plan on experimenting Tube wise as well............I hope to grab a nice Mallard 5AR4 here or somewhere to try out. I'm going in the Allmans /Haynes direction though................I don't want complete saturation...........just some fat ballsy grind for sliding and jamming in their style. Again I loved Greggs clips............he's obviously a big Allmans Fan.

Anyone here use an Air Brake, Hot Plate or a webber attenuator with theirs?

18. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Nobody has mentioned the Club 40 yet. I love mine. It's one of the best amps I have ever played. Great crunch and beautiful clean tone, The ability to use different power tubes is really cool too. It sounds great with 6V6's. I think I prefer the EL34's, but haven't tried the 6L6's yet. And it seems to take pedals better than other amps I have had. It's a keeper for sure.:D

19. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Another Germino convert here...

Greg builds some of the best EL34 amps on the planet. I've got a Lead 55 and a LV 55 and they both are just amazing to play.

My next Germino will be a 100 watter and I'm deciding on the specs as I write this. I can't wait :D

20. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I got to play through a club 40. It is a smooth amp. I nevr got past the cleans I enjoyed them so much. I couldn't tell what it sounds like curing clipping.