• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

My Gibson R7 just keeps getting better!

arcey

I bought it about 2 years ago. Loved it then of course but I still tended to play my superstrats more, especially live. Over the course of 2 years I just can't put the R7 down! It's not so much that the guitar is literally improving, its more my relationship with it improves, I find new ways of getting tones from it and it just allows my fingers to fly, stays in tune and is reliable in terms of components and electronics. I miss the fat neck when I use my other Les Pauls and the simplicity of the gold top and mahogany is timeless in terms of aesthetics.

Some guitars are 'flavors of the month' or eventually their appeal fades away somewhat. It's rare I find a guitar that seems to grow with me.

Now to get an R9...
Nice post of a great, timeless guitar. Enjoy it for a lifetime!

gadzooka

They are excellent guitars. Bless you guys who like those utility pole necks...definitely not my cup of tea. R9 or R0 would probably be more to my liking in that regard.

electricfactory

Supporting Member
I wish I was a Les Paul guy, I've tried but the Strat just fits my playing style better. With that said your R7 is a hands down beauty, were I looking for a LP this is the very one I'd seek out.

R7's rule.
You cannot beat the value, especially a used R7.
I picked mine up for $1950 used a few years back.

R7's rule.
You cannot beat the value, especially a used R7.
I picked mine up for $1950 used a few years back.

Its a post like this that keeps me wanting an R7. I've been thinking my next electric is going to be a solid gold 335, but a beautiful R7 like yours gets me REALLY distracted. Either way, the next guitar is gold...

rastus

I have several historics in my rental fleet, including r4, r7, r8 and a couple of r9 models. All are very durable, good looking, and great sounding. The folks that rent my gear are always very pleased with them, and the r7 has gathered much praise over the last 5 years or so. It is a particularly good guitar on every respect-you know, it's funny, but I don't see any of these guitars except for maintainence and upkeep-they stay out there, and produce good income, having paid for themselves over and over. My r7 is a 2004, it has a large-ish neck, been re-fretted with 59 size frets. It has stock pickups, but we did replace the harness at some point with one of Roy's. We send them out in Calton cases-believe it or not, folks tend to be respectful of these guitars, and they are all in quite solid condition. Great guitars, every one-but that 57 is a standout for certain.

Alister

Supporting Member
I have several historics in my rental fleet, including r4, r7, r8 and a couple of r9 models. All are very durable, good looking, and great sounding. The folks that rent my gear are always very pleased with them, and the r7 has gathered much praise over the last 5 years or so. It is a particularly good guitar on every respect-you know, it's funny, but I don't see any of these guitars except for maintainence and upkeep-they stay out there, and produce good income, having paid for themselves over and over. My r7 is a 2004, it has a large-ish neck, been re-fretted with 59 size frets. It has stock pickups, but we did replace the harness at some point with one of Roy's. We send them out in Calton cases-believe it or not, folks tend to be respectful of these guitars, and they are all in quite solid condition. Great guitars, every one-but that 57 is a standout for certain.
My R7 is a 2004 as well. It's just a beast, and everyone who hears/plays it says the same thing.

My casual opinion is that the magic of the R7's is in the beefy neck.
In the late-stage self-indulgent guitar buying I was in, I bought an R9, and a great '59 RI 335.
But the R7 is just the kingdaddy in that lineup, IMO. Best value in the historic/CS line is to put it mildly, and I often try to contribute that opinion whenever I see a thread from a novice asking "What Les Paul should I get>"
NO BRAINER, Dude.

buddyboy

Gold Supporting Member
I just bought a used 2008 R7 (after owning a nice 07 R7 a few years back). I put a set of old purple-wire pat. number pickups in it and it sounds amazing! 8.5lbs too.

buyusfear

Nice! Is it "aged" or did all the lacquer checking happen over the bloody cold winter we just had?
It's a non vos 2005 R7 that just started to crack a couple of years ago. My newer R8 hasn't checked but the gold top just happened. I have replaced all of the hardware to be more authentic and period correct thought. Proper boxed PAF replica covers and true white/yellow plastic vs the stock pick hue crap makes a big difference IMO

I wish I was a Les Paul guy, I've tried but the Strat just fits my playing style better. With that said your R7 is a hands down beauty, were I looking for a LP this is the very one I'd seek out.
Its a post like this that keeps me wanting an R7. I've been thinking my next electric is going to be a solid gold 335, but a beautiful R7 like yours gets me REALLY distracted. Either way, the next guitar is gold...
Thanks

tone?

A lot of times it is YOU that is making the guitar sound better.

That is the reason with me and my R8.
I was used to playing strats all my life so adjusting with the Les Paul is a chore.
But once you get used to playing it and your fingers start melding with it, THAT is when the tone really comes out.

All evidence that tone is in the fingers.

tdarian

Gold Supporting Member
I see them pop up on the Wildwood Guitars site and a few other places, but they certainly are less common than Goldtops.

TD