My GigRig Pro14 is hands down the best thing I've bought in 5yrs!

Lomeos

Those are indeed very nice pieces; welcome to the world of complex switching :).
Can you also enable/disable pedals within patches? That would really make it a perfect device.

Yes, you can enable/disable each loop for all presets, however, when you combine two pathes, the 'on' in a patch takes precedence. Basically this means you can't turn of a loop that is turned on in one patch by adding another patch. You get the sum of the 'on' loops when combining patches.

The above is only for the top row. The bottom row always cancels all other patches, so you can use the presets on the bottom row to avoid tapdancing.

Edit: after reading you post for a second time: you can only disable loops within a patch by switching of the pedal itself, or by altering the dip-switches on the fly (not recommended). This is the main reason i have only single-loop presets on the top row. This way I can enable/disable a patch by switching it on/of. Leaves for a bit of tapdancing, but the presets on the bottom row prevent the most of that.

lazyrabbit

Ok, for many people that should be sufficient. I like to be able to switch effects on or off within the same patch (e.g. use a clean rhythm patch with compressor and phaser, and then swap the phaser for a rotary). I do this with my Ground Control Pro and GCX (all pedals are in loops of the GCX; accessible via MIDI).

turtleheadblues

Gigrig rules

Daniel and his personal board

305745_2113909495530_1479472847_32172617_1050961047_n.jpg

Lomeos

So say you have preset 1 on and your preset 8 on. If you switch from 1 to 2 does that turn off preset 8 as well?

Yes, the lower rail cancels all other settings (or it wouldn't be presets). This is what prevents all the tapdancing. I can always go back to my base sound with the press of a button.

Also do you like the post boost on the unit? How does it compare to using something like the RC Booster?

Actually, it's as if it's not there, except for the volume boost. It is completely transparant. I use it with the tubescreamer, so i can choose between a normal ts or a boosted version of the ts.

jimmy54

I've just picked up a Gigrig Pro14 with midi option.

I have a question concerning the multiple buffer placement options. I'm running the following pedals in this order:

Hartman fuzz face
Beano Boost
Eternity
Soul Bender/Pharoah
Empress Para EQ
Gristle King/DLS
Captain Coconut
Choralflange
Tremolo
El Capistan

I'm obviously running the fuzz face and Beano with no buffer before them and I understand delays like getting a buffered signal, so have set a buffer before the El capistan.

Also, I've read that the Eternity prefers a buffer after it, but as the buffers are place pre-effect, not sure how best to ensure the Eternity has a buffer after it (unless I always run it into a pedal with a pre-buffer set, but this isn't really practical).

What other pedals listed above would benefit a buffered signal into it?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I LOVE my Midi-8 GigRig. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the Customer Service. They are one of the best companies I've had the pleasure to deal with. Super nice folks too. I play in a Classic Rock band....and this set-up has made my life so easy on stage......it's just fun!

Pedalboard.jpg

Lomeos

I've just picked up a Gigrig Pro14 with midi option.

I have a question concerning the multiple buffer placement options. I'm running the following pedals in this order:

Hartman fuzz face
Beano Boost
Eternity
Soul Bender/Pharoah
Empress Para EQ
Gristle King/DLS
Captain Coconut
Choralflange
Tremolo
El Capistan

I'm obviously running the fuzz face and Beano with no buffer before them and I understand delays like getting a buffered signal, so have set a buffer before the El capistan.

Also, I've read that the Eternity prefers a buffer after it, but as the buffers are place pre-effect, not sure how best to ensure the Eternity has a buffer after it (unless I always run it into a pedal with a pre-buffer set, but this isn't really practical).

What other pedals listed above would benefit a buffered signal into it?

Actually , the gigrig has two build in amplifiers: the pre-buffer is the first thing your guitar goes through when switched on. It has one central volume knob (on the right side). The post-volume, when on, is on the end of the chain, right before the output. Since it is at the end of everything, it doesn't mess with your pedals. You can set the volume of the post-volume for each preset, but it is still one amplifier at the end of the chain.

The best thing is just to try different pre/post settings and see what works best for each preset.

Last edited:

jimmy54

Ah, so if I set up the post volume after the Eternity (say at unity), this will in effect act as a buffer after the Eternity?

At the weekend I'll try different permutations.

Lomeos

Ah, so if I set up the post volume after the Eternity (say at unity), this will in effect act as a buffer after the Eternity?

I guess so. If you want to be sure, contact Daniel from the GigRig. He's really nice and always willing to help people out.

Tube Guy

Gold Supporting Member

That's right. That's exactly what I did with my Eternity when I had it.

Other things to try are:
- putting the input buffer on when there are no loops on, I find it vastly improved my tone.
- having a preset with higher input buffer volume and lower output buffer volume so that you can boost an overdrive without changing overall volume.
- trying input buffers with pedals too, Kingsley pedals seem to benefit from this.

jimmy54

Thanks Tube Guy, some good ones there, especially having a preset with higher input buffer volume and lower output buffer volume so that you can boost an overdrive. I'll play around with that one.

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
i love my gig rig 14

i bought mine way back when they were white.

i have had it since updated and added midi to it as well.

After much procrastination, I finally bought a GigRig MIDI-14. Bloody expensive! I'm scared to look into my bank account and will be living off eggs from the chooks & ducks in my backyard until my next payday...

but damn it will be worth it! I've had enough of the tap-dancing and unplugging things over and over, and also I like how there's a buffer function which can be preset for each loop, as well as volume drop/boost function. And of course the ease of programmability.

I really like their YouTube videos which explain how to set the whole thing up. Very helpful. Thanks Dan!

Once everything is kitted out I'll finally do some clips and have a decent photo of it all.

Lomeos

After much procrastination, I finally bought a GigRig MIDI-14. Bloody expensive! I'm scared to look into my bank account and will be living off eggs from the chooks & ducks in my backyard until my next payday...

but damn it will be worth it! I've had enough of the tap-dancing and unplugging things over and over, and also I like how there's a buffer function which can be preset for each loop, as well as volume drop/boost function. And of course the ease of programmability.

I really like their YouTube videos which explain how to set the whole thing up. Very helpful. Thanks Dan!

Once everything is kitted out I'll finally do some clips and have a decent photo of it all.

Great! Money is overrated anyway. WE WANT GEAR!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom