My great pleasure...sussing out pu's for a new guitar & finding a new pickup maker!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Seegs, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

One of the first things I do when I get a new guitar is play it with the stock pickups for awhile to get a feel for the makers intention...

Then I rehearse/gig it to get a feel how it sits live...

Then I figure out where I want to take the guitar and start researching and buying and trying different pickups...

Then I settle on a set...wait a bit until the honeymoon phase is over and write a review...

Once in awhile you get surprised and such is the case with the new set of pickups that I just put in my new Suhr Classic...

I'm jumping the gun and releasing my thoughts and experiences early because I am smitten by these pickups...

The stock pickups are the V60LP set and it is hard for me to imagine a better sounding set of strat pickups...

I tried a set of Sheptone A2s...nice but not my thing...then some Suhr 54 and Fl hot pickups...also cool but not my thing...I was pretty much gonna stick with the V60LP set but such is the case when you cruise the Emporium...

on a Flier I took a shot on a set of Sliders 69 classics made with some fancy NOS wire from 1971...mostly out of curiousity and because the price was right and they were located in the EU so I didn't have to pay Import tax and duty which is a big thing nowdays...

I popped these babies in my strat and eyeballed the pickup heights and strummed one chord through my JTM45 with the Celestion Golds and a big fat smile came across my face and stayed there for the entire time..

I've had a lot of pickups and these moments are always hard to put into words but this is probably the first set of pickups that have made me feel like I was hearing...wood...chime...clarity...harmonics with great attack...detail and note bloom afterwards....all while letting the acoustic properties of the guitar come through...most sets offer varying degrees of the above combinations of properties but never have I felt like all them were present in the same set of pickups...

My V60LP set will staying with me on its own pickguard but I am going to rehearse these Sliders on Thursday and then I'll know for sure...

I have already contacted Rod about his tele pickups...

Chow,
    Seegs

2. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Great, a new flavor! Could you post some clips? Nice review to get the old gas juices rolling!

Kind Regards,
    Steve

3. moj067

moj067 Member

Rod has been doing it for a while, he does a great job. Too bad he's not in the States for me, but a great option for folks not close to the US.
    Good article on him in an issue of ToneQuest report, can't remember which exactly.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

Went down to my studio and confirmed what I heard on the first day...

Am now jumping ship and ordering a set for my Underwood tele with the Dodge Phelps wire as it imparts a warmth and woodiness without losing detail...really hard to put it in words but these strat pickups have it all and lack nothing and I want those same qualities in my tele

Price is in line and there is only a 2 week backorder...

Now the question is...do I want a pre or post 55 set? The neck pu's are virtually the same with different bridge pu's

Option 1...Pre '55 Nocaster/Broadcaster set A5 neck A2 flatpole bridge...sounds well broadcasterish

Option 2...Post '55 Tele set A5 neck A5 staggered polepieces...sounds more traditional tele with great air and clarity

Both sound amazing!

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

Rehearsed the Slider's Classic 69s with the band and they sit perfectly in the mix...weird combo of wood...warmth...clarity...detail...all with great depth...I can't believe how fat these are for strat pickups...

I played at a lower volume than ever before and yet these cut and sat perfectly...

My drummer remarked..."first time you havn't poked a hole in my ear...me likey":p...bassplayer nodded his head...

Next up...Slider's tele pickups the Post 55 set with NOS wire in the bridge pickup...firmed up the details and just waiting for Rod to send the PP invoice...then the 2-3 wait begins...

Chow,
    Seegs