My guitar collection needs focus...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Sep 11, 2008.

1. doc

doc Member

I have a problem. I have too many guitars, and can't play them well enough to justify the collection. I'm not a bad player, but I'm at the point of realizing I won't live long enough to get good at multiple styles. My guitars cover a wide range, and part of the point of having quite a few has been to allow me to explore new styles with the appropriate type guitars. I'd really like to focus the collection some and set some of them free (and clean the basement). Unfortunately I can't seem to make myself either focus exclusively on one type of playing or one style guitar. The obvious choice to set free is my resonator guitars, since bottleneck slide is so alien to the stuff I do fairly well, but I really love that sound and have some cool guitars in that area. Another candidate is my jazz archtop, since I generally sound better playing jazz on my Les Paul, but I'm such a big fan of that style and its such a nice piece of guitar art I'd hate to let it go. I'm not desperate financially, but would also free up some funds to let some go. Anybody have a similar situation? Any advice for how to make the needed choices to make progress, focus my energies, and have no regrets? I'm currently no slouch as a blues-rocker with some jazz influence, but I'm always tempted to try to focus on another area as that is such a crowded field these days.

2. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Hi doc, I know what you mean, I do have also a good amount of guitars and amps, and is really hard for me to let go any of them.

I have a good friend that he is always selling and buying, always have a very nice guitars and he always says that everything is for sale.

I now started to sell some stuff (really hard for me) but I'm trying to go for something better or that I may use more. I found the amplifiers that I like the most so far but I am always trying to found something new, I got guitars that most of them I have been dreaming all my life to get, now I think I'm trying to enjoy the ride, still looking and buying but I'm trying to start selling too.

By the way I am also not a very good player but I think no matter how long life may be, I want to play as much as possible, who know what will happens tomorrow...

Curiosly I'm in TN too...:p

3. Michael T

Michael T Member

I buy 2 of each color. I currently need another candy apple red guitar and a blue one.

4. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I also buy 2 of thing that I like the most, like 2 mavericks 4x10, 2 57RI commemorative blondes, 2 petrucci, 2 '58, 2 super reverb, 2 deluxe reverb...

5. doc

doc Member

That's another "symptom" of my "disease" as well. I have 2 of several types of guitar and amp - (actually I have 3 of one type amp!)

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've been there my friend, at one point I had upwards of 200 guitars (and I know one collector/player that just bought 4 more for his collection of nearly 500!). But there are limitations to space and money that have to be acknowledged. You're collection will mature, given time, but if you want to speed the process along, sell the guitars you don't play. If you have 3 strats, but play them, keep them. If you have a metal guitar that's super cool but you never play it, out the door it goes... That kind of triage hurts, but in the end you'll have cool guitars that you love! I sorta regret a few of the more unusual guitars I've let go, but against that, I never played them and I do play and enjoy the ones that replaced them. On another related not, never trade a guitar for an amp unless it's just a killer deal: amps are harder to store, harder to sell, take more upkeep and generally don't work out as well in the long run!

7. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Well I used to have 3 deluxe reverb but sold one...hehe... I had 5 budda and sold 1...currently have 3 R9 and I may will sell 1... so yes... still I will not depart of any of my 2 R8's...or my 2 AVRI 62...

8. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

Doc,

I could have written your thread! I have about 40 guitars, all american but enormously varied. My goal is to slim down to about 15-20 being a mixture of the best brand new gear eg r9, investment grade stuff eg 58 strat, 58 special, 55 junior, 52 000-21 martin, 63 strat, and then round it off with the guitars I just love.

I spend hours going over my list analysing which ones to let go. Its agonising.

9. prakashananda

prakashananda Member

I went through this a few years ago and sold some guitars that I'm still shocked that I did. I don't regret it. I did it for the same reason, didn't have the time, energy, focus etc. to keep up with too many guitars. I wanted to play, so I picked the one that suited me best and sold the others, some with high sentimental value as well, but not the best tools for the job.

10. xroads

xroads Member

Go through your guitars, and check which one you haven't played for 3 months. Among those, decide which ones are replacable, which ones are not. Sell the replacable ones.

11. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger Member

Sell your wife, buy a bigger house....

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I went through this same issue and have successfully come out of the problem. I got rid of my Mandolins, my Fiddles (OK still have one) and my "pointy" guitars and now have one great Strat, Tele, 335 and Les Paul. And one nice acoustic. 5 total and I play each one regularly. It feels great.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  13. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

A good way to start is to go through all your guitars and sell the ones you don't remember you had. Then start selling off the duplicates.

-Austin

14. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I started thinning the herd as well and sold off some amps and guitars I rarely played. You tend to accumulate alot of stuff over the years for one reason or another. I mainly use 3 favorites and 3 or 4 different amps depending on venue and some others for recording. I had 23 guitars, including 3 acoustics & 2 basses 3 keyboards and 12 amps, 2 PA's and had to start scaling back. So far I sold 2 amps and 2 guitars using Craigslist and another amp pending and may list more.

15. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

I have had the same problem and faced that "focus" choice last year. I had a healthy collection of about 20 guitars and about 10 amps. I too felt like I was to far over the map style wise and was not focusing my playing enough. Here is what I discovered. I found that the truth was I loved collecting.. buying finding the deal. Getting the new piece. I too see guitars as art so i was buying for look and uniqueness etc. The reality was that I had an addiction to it. The reason my playing was not great in any area wasnt because I couldn't choose a style. It was because When I sat down to play I always ended up noodling around on different, amp/pedal/amp combinations and comparing EVERYTHING. My playing suffered. I was spending hours in the studio "playing" but didnt progress at all for years. I finnally realized this. I decided that I needed a few"choice pieces and to quite messing with stuff all the time and just work on writing songs and actually practicing music. It is like a weight off my shoulders. I still have several guitars but they are focused to what I will use. 1 strat, 1 tele, 1 335 , 1 acoustic. I solved the urge to buy buy buy by just getting the best i could in each guitar. Its funny because now the set up I play the most is just Nocaster ->Carr Rambler maybe a Klon if I need it. Good luck! Its a tough thing to figure out.

16. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Here's a wacky left brain idea. make a log, and record what guitars you play and how long.

After 90 days sell off the ones that didn't make the list.

I know some really great players with just one guitar.

17. Millul

Millul Member

I'll PM you my address.
    You can send me ALL your guitars and amps (at your cost)
    I'll decide for you.
    Then I'll send you back the ones you need, and keep the others.

We'll be both very happy campers!

(jokin...)