• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

My guitar is too bright! Advice please...

Jason_77

Burstbuckers are bright (I should know). the A5 mag they use is a very powerful fresh A5.
an A2 would warm it up considerably, Or any A2 based pup (classics).
Burstbuckers use A2 mags, except for the pros which use A5. The OP also doesn't have Burstbuckers, he has Custombuckers, which are A3 (and yes, I'm aware that the speculation is the CB's are just BB's with A3 mags).

CC Overdrive

Turn down the treble, and maybe turn up the lows and mids. No really. EQ on an amp should really read Body (lows), Voice (mids) and attack (highs). Got the three working in together by thinking about the EQ in these terms.

Find the voice you like add body and a track to taste.

If you're using a mid range scoop, I have zero patience with you.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Plugging into a passive volume pedal will load it with another parallel resistance, reducing the resistive load across the pickups. That would tell you whether you using lower-resistance pots would have the desired effect. Or for that matter if it sounds good through the volume pedal, just use the volume pedal with it.

Burstbuckers are bright (I should know). the A5 mag they use is a very powerful fresh A5.
an A2 would warm it up considerably, Or any A2 based pup (classics).

Try this as well, lower the adjustment screws down quite abit on the adjustment pole pieces. Burstbuckers are not as finicky in adjustment like classics are, but, worth a try.

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try.

plaintopper

Thicker pick?
Ah yes. If you aren't finicky about the playability differences, pick thickness to me is a huge factor. Just the other night, I was playing my LP with my favored yellow Dunlop Tortex. The yellow is a medium-ish. Then I grab a Fender thin, play the exact same licks, and the tone thins and brightens -- notably. Then I grab a big fat Gravity pick, play the same licks, and it sounds like a different guitar. Almost too thick and heavy for my taste.

Such a small thing, such a big difference.

Yeah, I've tweaked a lot of different things the last few days, but this thing still has a bit brittle treble quality (it had a lot earlier this week, so it's improved).

I'm going to put two 250K pots for the volume and tone as soon as the shop opens tomorrow. I'm betting that will set this thing straight totally.

WDeranged

My situation seems to be the reverse of yours, If all else fails and you do resort to changing pickups I'd recommend a 57 Classic (A2 magnet) for the neck. I used one for years and always hated how it lacked definition but my tonal tastes are very bright.

So I bought this guitar over the internet and it looked great on paper. In hand, however, it's ridiculously bright. Here are the specs:

Gibson Sg

• Martin's 550K pots all around (until I swapped the tone ones out for 500K, which seemed to help a bit)
  • Gibson Custom Buckers that I refuse to assume are the problem, as I have always loved Gibson PAFish offerings.
  • .022 vintage bumblebees (until I swapped them for .047 Sprague Orange drops, which helped a bit)
  • Vintage 50's wiring (which I switched to modern wiring, which helped a bit)
  • Faber '59 bridge, which seems to be a good concept, but has brass saddles and may be the reason why it's still sounding bright and harsh
I could still swap out the two 550K volume pots, and I could look into getting a different bridge with a standard steel saddles, but I just don't get it.

I've been playing my rig with a tele that's got a humbucker in the bridge, which has been quite satisfying. This SG is really buggin' me!

It's a great player, I just need to adjust something to getting sounding right.

Whaddya think?

God gave you tone and volume knobs for a reason......

swiveltung

***PROBLEM SOLVED*** I swapped both the volume and tone pot from 550K to 250K and swapped the .022 bumblebee to .047 sprague orange drops.

My guitar world is right again!

So I bought this guitar over the internet and it looked great on paper. In hand, however, it's ridiculously bright. Here are the specs:

Gibson Sg

• Martin's 550K pots all around (until I swapped the tone ones out for 500K, which seemed to help a bit)
  • Gibson Custom Buckers that I refuse to assume are the problem, as I have always loved Gibson PAFish offerings.
  • .022 vintage bumblebees (until I swapped them for .047 Sprague Orange drops, which helped a bit)
  • Vintage 50's wiring (which I switched to modern wiring, which helped a bit)
  • Faber '59 bridge, which seems to be a good concept, but has brass saddles and may be the reason why it's still sounding bright and harsh
I could still swap out the two 550K volume pots, and I could look into getting a different bridge with a standard steel saddles, but I just don't get it.

I've been playing my rig with a tele that's got a humbucker in the bridge, which has been quite satisfying. This SG is really buggin' me!

It's a great player, I just need to adjust something to getting sounding right.

Whaddya think?
This didn't make your bottom end mushy?

This didn't make your bottom end mushy?

No, not at all. It's tight! It's perfect for my rig now. It's a lot like my tele was sounding, which is the guitar I dialed in my overdrive and amp (I swapped some tubes around to get the tone I was after) to begin with.

My Garnet amp is kinda bright sounding. It could be my choice of NOS tubes, but whatever. It sounds awesome now.

SG's are bright, these Custom Buckers were bright, the 550K pots were bright, the .022 caps make it bright, the brass saddles are bright. It all just added up to way to much treble into an already bright amp. The 250K pots were exactly what this guitar needed.

Grenville

Now I just need someone to make a 1meg long-shaft log-taper pot so I can brighten up the neck pickup in my Les Paul...

Jason_77

Now I just need someone to make a 1meg long-shaft log-taper pot so I can brighten up the neck pickup in my Les Paul...
You can buy a short shaft 1M log-taper pot, open it up and swap the resistive element into any long shaft pot. I've done it with CTS pots to get a short shaft 300k log taper. It's very easy. :aok

candid_x

No one has mentioned turning down the volume knob a bit. Op says he runs his guitar controls at full bore, which often means that rolling off a little volume as needed loses too much treble, and treble bleeds sound strident, at least to me. You can always roll off brightness from the guitar. No one likes making these small adjustments from the amp eq in the middle of a song.

I have a Strat with 300k pots, and it's pretty bight but also full sounding, not tinny. I could change pots to 250k or lower, exchange steel for zinc, mod or unmod, or simply roll off a little volume or treble. The potential for bright will still be there when needed.

Grenville

You can lower the pickup and raise the adjustment screws to make it brighter. Also, add a 330pf treble bleed cap across the volume pot hot and center wiper.
Yep, done this.

You can buy a short shaft 1M log-taper pot, open it up and swap the resistive element into any long shaft pot. I've done it with CTS pots to get a short shaft 300k log taper. It's very easy. :aok
Now THAT's interesting...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom