My guitar teacher is telling me the Fender Twin is the best country amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ZackisCountry, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

Its affordable and sounds amazing. The only downside is it is heavy. I played his 77' and am starting to agree with him. Are there any other good country amps i should take a look at before taking the plunge? :huh

Im looking for a lot of clean headroom. 15 - 30 watts. Something very twangy and spanky. Something that can handle classic and new country.

Thanks guys!

2. Loobster

Loobster Member

The Twin has way more power and headroom than a 15-30w amp. It's a perfect country amp providing you have the means to transport it around. You'll nary run out of clean headroom on it, that's for sure.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

The 70s Twin you hefted was likely heavier than earlier ones. The older ones are still heavy but the Twin Reverb is absolutely a classic 'country' amp and still the standard.
    My advice is to find a cheap early to mid 70s silverface Twin, get it completely serviced, and put Neodymium speakers into it, You'll probably end up spending about a grand on that, maybe cheaper, if you looked for an amp without speakers and needing repair. After that you'll have a reasonably light(because of the Neo speakers) 100 watt combo that is built better than any new production amp in that price range.
    For "new country", use your fave overdrive pedal.

4. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

I can get a brand new one for about 850 from someone around here. Are the new ones really that much different than the old ones? I always hear people arguing about this but i dont know if its just them thinking its cooler to own a vintage

Also the Dr. Z EZG-50 sounds great.

5. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

The 15-30 was just a rough estimate. Im just not looking for something with 100 watts. i know 3 on a twin is reeeeaaaal loud :p

6. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i LOVE my early 70's Twin Reverb...great sounding amp, but not the best for a small stage/bar gig. for small gigs, a Deluxe Reverb might be a better choice.

7. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

For some reason to him, the twin is more magical than any other fender amp :huh

I would agree the deluxe would be a good way to go though.

8. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i have to agree with him. i've had deluxe's, and sold them. i've never sold my '72 Twin Reverb. i did blackface mod mine, and think it sounds even better than a silverface model. YMMV. in fact, i just last week bought a road case so that my 40 year old amp doesn't get any more beat up.

9. skintknuckle

skintknuckle Supporting Member

Twins sound awesome. Lugging one around would be a pain. You should demo a Deluxe, a Pro Reverb, a Fargen Blackbird, etc. Lots of lighter choices but...the twin is cool. I like using a Deluxe and a Princeton in stereo. I suggest finding a couple of cool vintage and boutique guitar shops and try all of them! I used to be shy about asking to try stuff. Not any more.

10. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Pardon the intrusion, but you have got to be the soul Gear Page member on Hilton Head Island.
    I am kind of impressed. Did not realize the country club set listened to Country Music. :)
    I think any BF Fender is a good "Country" amp. From the little Vibro Champ, Deluxe Rev, AA864 Bassman, and on up through your amp of interest.....The Twin.
    Best

11. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

I had a Maz 18 but i wasnt too crazy about it.

The Boutique amps i have near by that interest me are, matchless, two rock, Carr, Dr. Z and Redplate (i don't like the look of them though, and they are mostly expensive).

I know the matchless and two rocks are expensive also but some of their lower models arent that bad, but redplate seems to be pretty high on the ones that would fit countryish style

12. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

Haha i must be man! Im actually not on the island, i am right off it in a town called bluffton. Im here with all the normal people :D

The country seen could be better, but people are starting to come around and im leading the charge!

13. LarryN

LarryN Member

It's hard to address your needs without knowing what kinds of venues you want to cover and how loud a band you'll be playing with. The Twin would work in most any situation with pedals; 15 to 30 watts, questionable. Come to think of it, a Bassman head (50 watts) put into a 12" combo cab would be very nice. I like Redplates.

14. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

I love Twins. They sound amazing. I owned one forever and finally, reluctantly, sold it. But I have lived in Nashville for a really long time and I have seen hardly any Twins, besides the time or two I have seen Marty Stuart play a sold out show at the Ryman. They are just too big and too heavy to be practical.

Down in the honky tonks on Lower Broadway, like Robert's Western World and Bluegrass Inn, I have never seen one. I have seen a TON of Blues Juniors, Classic 30s, Princetons, the occasional Deluxe Reverb, but even that is pushing it sometimes. The preference is clearly for light, smaller amps, that are still plenty loud for the music and the size of the room. I mean, in these places, where real classic traditional country music is played, the guitarists are often playing with a standup bass player, an acoustic guitarist and a drummer who uses brushes at times. Maybe they are common in huge places that play lots of new country, but I don't really go to places like that.

I still miss that Twin, and think of replacing it sometimes, because I love the clean headroom and the huge sound of the two 12s, but really, small amps are where it is at.

15. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

at the smaller bars and what not I usually just play an acoustic show. Band settings are in medium to large sized clubs with a full band. Any wattage would work since i could mic the amp, i really dont know why i put a limit.

16. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

Ah i love Nashville. Such a great city. And Artisan Guitars is such a wonderful store! I have read some reviews on the new princetons that say they seem to brake a lot, but i have heard Marty say that Princetons are his and Kennys go to amps. I could go for a Princeton and an AC15 and have everything i needed covered.

17. aflynt

aflynt Member

A Deluxe Reverb works great too if you're in a situation where you can get it loud enough to open up a bit. The great thing about the Twin is that you can get a big sound out of it at a wide range of volume levels. For me the ultimate would be an old Showman head and 1 or 2 1x12" cabinets. Lifting a Twin out of a car and up stairs starts to break you in two after a while. :) For new country, there are more than enough nice pedals out there to choose from that will get you there with a Twin or Showman. The Deluxe can sound hard with pedals at lower volumes, though.

-Aaron

18. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

I read where Marty said that too. That might be what he and Kenny play on the TV show, which is great.

You might want to check out a Silverface Vibrolux Reverb. That's what I play now, with an Eminence Copperhead and a Ragin' Cajun and that thing is a beast. It is like a little Twin--those speakers are the 12'ish sounding 10's I've ever played. They give it a ton of headroom, and at 40 watts, it is still extremely loud.

19. modernp

modernp Member

An old pro reverb.

20. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

Zack, a Twin is great for country music but I think you can use something with a little less power and weight and get by just fine. I have two Pro Reverbs that are great and lots of other Fender amps but I always use a Deluxe Reverb or one of my Princeton's. If you get a Twin, you may get tired of hauling it around.
    Looking back, all the time I lugged around a Twin, I could have easily gotten by with a Deluxe Reverb.
    Also, what are the other members of your band playing? If they are using small amps, you don't need a Twin. When I got my first Twin, the other guys in the band were playing much smaller amps and I really didn't need a big amp.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012