My guitarist needs a new amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Timmylikesthing, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

So my guitarist asked me to check into a couple options for a new amp for him. I've searched and searched and found a few things but not too many.

His budget is around $1K. Prefers a head, as he will use a greenback loaded 4x12. He prefers new, but does get a GC employee discount.

He's using an OCD, a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine, and a Diamond Memory Lane, so it must take pedals well.

He plays Teles. So single coils need to sound AWESOME.

He needs 2 channels. Good clean. Good crunch. Doesn't need over the top gain but JCM800 level. Preferably seperate EQ, or something of the sort.

Music is along the veins of Jimmy Eat World/Foo Fighters.

We've had the good fortune of playing/recording/owning several different amps.

Mesa Dual Rec (2 Channel) - He liked it, just didn't mesh well with his tele to his ears.
    Marshall JMP 2203 - He really liked it, but it only has the one channel and the clean is meh...
    Hiwatt HiGain 50 - He's currently using this and it sounds pretty good, but it's mine and he wants his own amp (and I'm probably not selling the Hiwatt)
    Vox AC30 - We've used these in the studio and we've always been a fan of the clean tone but he'd prefer independent EQ for Clean and Dirty.
    Orange AD30 - This one was pretty cool and sounded awesome with Gibson style guitars but just didn't mesh well with the tele. Still a good sound, but not the ABSOLUTE best.

So I guess I'm looking for vox cleans and marshall crunch. My initial thoughts are either EL84's or an EF86 channel...

He'll be using this for gigs where he may be unmiked so 30W or so would be cool, more for clean headroom would be nice, but not required. Also, reliability is key as we hit the road for weeks at a time.

So far the shortlist to check out:

Orange AD30 (Gotta spend some more time with it)
    Budda SD30 (Shared EQ, but it kept coming up in the searches)
    Bogner Shiva (Probably FAR outside of his budget, but hell... it'd kickass)
    Mesa Lonestar (Also came up in the searches)
    Ceriatone DC30 copy
    Ceriatone 36W TMB with EF86 and master volume.
    Dr Z Maz 38
    Vox AC50 Classic Plus
    Valtech Hayseed, maybe?

So, what else?

Thanks guys.

2. joeysmac

joeysmac Member

Im selling a Port City 12 head (upgrading to bigger head) for $750...It's got a volume and a tone knob and it takes pedals great!!! Also, Mike6m is selling a Maz 18 for $1100 or so, and it is a great amp...the 18 is plenty loud enough.

3. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Mesa Lonestar Classic Head They are always for sale around here and in your price range

4. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

THe Budda shared EQ doesn't bother me at all. Great amp I highly recommend it.

If you can find one check out a Dr. Z 6545 it is also a great amp and does have seperate EQs.

5. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Keep 'em coming!

Tell me more about the Port City...

And is the MAZ 18 going to be loud enough with some semblance of clean through 4 greenbacks (relatively inefficient speakers)?

I appreciate all the help immensely!

Tim

6. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Should try the olde 800 by Fargen....Got plenty of gain but has loads of clean headroom...Check out Hamilton Loomis on youtube for accurate description...

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

On the cheap try a Crate Palomino V32

8. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

On the Orange AD30, try running it with the volume high and the gain as the volume control. These amps prefer to be played loud. I know several guys that run them that way and some of them use Tele's. I've never gotten along with that amp too well, I prefer the tone of the Rocker 30 myself - can be a little picky on which pedals it likes to if you try one, have him take his pedals.

9. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

tell him to check out the new Egnater head since he gets the GC Employee discount

10. freaksho

freaksho Member

since you put it in your list, i'll vote for the Shiva. very very versatile. can be dialed in to get jcm 800 for dirt (well, very close at least) but voiced darker in the middle settings. killer clean channel too. recommend newer one with bright switches if he's likes the brightness of the jcm 800.

also, to save some $$, don't bother with the reverb and get the 6L6 version.

11. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

What about BlackStar? I hear GC are going to carry those as well... they're pretty kick-butt amps!

12. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I have a buddy who is selling an '06 Splawn QuickRod that looks brand new for $1250.

13. countandduke

countandduke Member

Voodoo Amps V-plex...
    THD Bivalve or Flexi

Good luck...

Chris

14. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Budda SD . . again Budda SD ! Seriously.

15. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I'd go Budda. He can get them through Guitar Center for the employee discount, and the amps just flat out rock. Superdrive 30. Done.

16. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Dr.Z Galaxie -except it has a tweedy clean channel as opposed to vox, but it does the JCM thing and has a great clean channel. I saw one used on the Dr.z z-talk page

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

If you're thinking about an AD30 again, but you're not too fussed with the single coil tones, try a Rockerverb 50. Someone suggested a Rocker 30 above, but if you want separate EQ for clean/dirty you might not like the total absence of EQ on the Rocker 30's clean (natural) channel (which has a volume knob only).

18. rastaman

rastaman Member

Maybe I missed it but what amp would you be using in the band with him? The Hiwatt?

19. coxswain

coxswain Member

Yea I was going to say the exact same thing.

I have one of the new Tourmaster Heads. The clean channal is awesome which sounds awesome with single coils. The gain is of a marshall flavor but a little smoother and more of an emphasis in the lower mids. Very versitle and well thought out amp......multiple channel power scaling, series/parallel effects loop, 4 channals with 2 voices per channal (modern/classic).

The head cost 1399$ new without the GC discount. With the the employee discount knock off what?...200 bucks?

Chase

20. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

+1.....That Egnater is sweet and should sound great through the 4x12 with greenbacks.