My guitars were stolen

I jumped to the end hoping this had been resolved. So terrible. It WILL be grand theft and possibly robbery if they broke into your house. The value of those guitars I think would qualify it as grand theft if you can find the perp. If they know the guitars are more valuable as is, they may leave them alone which would give you a better chance of finding them. My guess is they do if they went so far as to break into your house to get them. Also, be wary of people close to you, you never know..... Sending good Karma and will surely report back if I see them anywhere online.

hardy

I'm sorry to read this. Hope you can get them back soon.
The thieves should be given violent strokes with a stick that they remember their crime for a long time...

GV Quinn

You never take a mans tools or guitars It's about as plain and simple as that. If the gear is returned in the same condition I would personally forgive the thief....it can be a tough world.
Someone stole a Jazzmaster from me and even called me to return it, he saw the ad I posted. When I got there to meet him he handed the guitar to me and broke down, apologising over and over, crying.

Eventually started talking, told me he lost his job, girlfriend left him, borderline homeless, etc, then his Strat was stolen and he just crumbled. He said he felt wronged and thought 'too bad for me, too bad for you', but then he got so depressed and guilty that he actually answered my stolen property ad.

He was an utter wreck, he was just sobbing like someone at a funeral, he could barely speak.

What can you say to that? He didn't steal to hurt me, but to give himself some feeling of 'fairness'. It was sad.

croth

Gold Supporting Member
I'm sorry to hear this. They're beautiful instruments and undoubtedly worth a lot to you, both financially and emotionally.

Your post made me curious about one thing though. How do you know this part: "A guy saw the transaction and bought them from a thief in the parking lot"?

roneedee

From an old pawnbroker.....

1. Pawn shops usually have video running 24/7 inside & out.
2. Send a fax w/ all info to every pawnbroker you can find. OFFER A REWARD and/or restitution!!
3. Fill out a Police report in every department in the area. Cities & towns don't usually cross-reference on theft.
4. Put flyers at music stores and repair shops. Talk to the owners, and make them feel bad for you!
5. Follow-up!

Good Luck friend! I've been on the losing end also..... I know how you feel. :(

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Jumped to the end in hopes they had been recovered.

They look like really nice Strats, very similar to those I drool over in reverb. Sorry for your loss, hope you were either insured or better yet, recover them in good sahpe.

dDeaconSC

A guitar IS a personal relationship...
That bond is in some cases eternal.
I know the agony that comes from that loss.

Money aside, even though significant, it's the
feeling, memories and what each of those
guitars brings out that makes the bond.

I truly wish you God's speed in their recovery.

WebbMan

I really feel for you man - In NY I actually saw a theft happen right in front of me. Was at a HUGE open house party with a live band. These guys were Great !! Sounded like "Thin Lizzy" (Boys Are Back In Town). Very tight and talented. Fast forward to the end of the party, the band packed up and I saw at least 3 or 4 guitar cases on the sidewalk I guess waiting for their ride to pull up and start packing their gear. All of a sudden a muscle car like a GTO pulled up - 2 guys jumped out - threw the guitar cases (with guitars in them) in the back seat and took off. I didn't know the band members or their friends or who drove off with their gear but I saw this all happen in front of me. I gave the band a detailed description of the muscle car but that's all the info I had. REALLY SUCKS when assholes pull crap like that. Hope you get your guitars back !!

Last edited:

blownirocz

Suppoutin' Memba Sinss Dem Oud Dayz...
Gold Supporting Member
Been through it...hate that happened to you brother. The worst part for me was the feeling of violation of the sanctity of my home. Really hope you get them back, and the thieves are prosecuted accordingly.

One other thing to do (if it hasn't already been mentioned) is to call all Guitar Centers (or other music shops) in your area and alert the managers. That's how mine were eventually returned to me.

jjerg

I've been ripped off a few times at studio spots. It sux! Keep an eye on ebay. I found one of mine there. Hope you get the kids back.

Just saw this thread- sucks. I had a bunch of PA & amp gear stolen in a residential burglary from a friend's weekend house in PA last December along with a bunch of his music gear, and other property went through the whole drill with insurance company and PA state police (it was in rural location, only state police had jurisdiction). Total value was over $10K so police took it seriously, there were a rash of residential burglaries from same perps.

Some suggestions for OP and any one else in similar situations: know your insurance coverage, document your equipment with pictures, serial numbers, any receipts you have for purchase, and if you get robbed, dig up documentation of appraisal/replacement value of equivalents (Reverb, manufacturer web sites, flea-bay equivalents, GC, major online vendors). Immediately file a police report, start a claim with insurance company & get them copies of police report with case number/POC of the investigating officer.

My home owner's policy covers my personal property even when it was outside my house (at 10% of the in-house coverage). I had some pictures/serial numbers & receipts, and my insurance carrier is USAA, they were VERY accommodating- I got full replacement value less my deductible in just a few days after filing- your mileage may vary depending on your policy/carrier & circumstances. Many renter's insurance plans offer similar personal property coverage, even if it is stolen outside your residence. Luckily there was nothing with sentimental value in my case- OP's gear is vintage stuff that would rip my soul out to lose.

Anyone that has significant value equipment at home, or other locations: contact your insurance carrier & ASK what is covered, before you are in a crisis. 99% of us have a mobile phone with a camera. Go nuts taking pictures of existing gear/Serial numbers, get in habit of taking a quick snap every time you buy something.

Hope this works out. Cops managed to recover some of my gear from pawn shop 2 counties away, so it is possible.

Black&Blue

That's terrible. Good luck getting your gear back. And I hope the thieves experience a backlash of karmic justice.

dave19er

How is the cost broken down and how much is it? PM if you prefer. I'd ask them but I don't want to be dogged for years..
I’ve used Heritage for years. They’re great. And they’re totally not the kind of people to hound you if you reach out to them with questions. The base price is for a certain amount of coverage, and then additional instruments end up increasing it slightly. For what they cover (it’s really impressive and covers not just theft, but damage as well) and the piece of mind the insurance provides, it’s well quite reasonable (especially since - in a normal world - I’m out gigging, as are my teenagers. And we even have their band instruments on our policy - they’re expensive and generally used WAY harder than my guitars).

zambiland

I’ve used Heritage for years. They’re great. And they’re totally not the kind of people to hound you if you reach out to them with questions. The base price is for a certain amount of coverage, and then additional instruments end up increasing it slightly. For what they cover (it’s really impressive and covers not just theft, but damage as well) and the piece of mind the insurance provides, it’s well quite reasonable (especially since - in a normal world - I’m out gigging, as are my teenagers. And we even have their band instruments on our policy - they’re expensive and generally used WAY harder than my guitars).
I started with Heritage probably 15 or 20 years ago and they've been great. As a bass player and a location recording engineer, I have everything insured (probably around $100k) and the premiums are quite reasonable and, unlike homeowner's or renter's insurance, they cover you at gigs, when your gear is in a car, and just about every other situation. Renter's or homeowner's insurance generally won't pay out if they get a sense that you are taking your instruments out of the house and gigging with them.

woof*

I'm sorry to hear this. They're beautiful instruments and undoubtedly worth a lot to you, both financially and emotionally.

Your post made me curious about one thing though. How do you know this part: "A guy saw the transaction and bought them from a thief in the parking lot"?
It’s all in the pawnshop video

zambiland

This can’t be overstated
Here I was having sympathy for you and you have to get political about it? Colorado's political situation has nothing to do with you getting ripped off or getting your instruments back. Colorado has not become a leftist hell, it is a diverse state with lots of different kinds of people living here, with most of them caring for all of their fellow human beings without regard to political affiliation.

I'll keep a lookout for your guitars, Randy, and let you know if I come across them. Good luck with the recovery.

Trending Topics