My Guytronix build

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by willhutch, Oct 5, 2006.

1. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Just rcvd the Guytronix Gilmore Jr kit. I just finished installing the chassis mounted components. I was tempted to start working on connecting wires to the turret board, but decided to wait until the next sitting when I am fresh.

The kit seem very well laid out and logical. The instructions are clear and easy to understand.

Can't wait to get to it again tomorrow! I'm looking forward to all the knowledge I'll gain through this process. I'm also interested, of course, to hear the little beast. All reports say it sounds great.

Stay tuned for the next installment of this thread.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Congrats! Rich Guy is a great guy (no pun intended) too and his product support is second to none!

www.guytronix.com

3. willhutch

I put a morning into the Gilmore Jr. The turret board has been assembled!!!
    Lessons:
    1) Tinning the tip of your iron and the ends of bared wires helps a lot.
    2) Be sure you are clear on what component is what! I installed the wrong capacitor in one spot. I found it after I had finished the whole board. I had to go back and undo a bunch of stuff to switch in the correct cap. I probably made some other error that I won't catch until 3 days from now when I try the amp! It'll be hours of troubleshooting at that point. Maybe I should go down now and have another look!!

At the next sitting, probably this evening, I'll start wiring up the power supply.

So far I've put about 5 hours into the kit. 2 to install the chassis mounted items and 3 to assemble the board.

Stay tuned.....

4. WaltC

WaltC Member

Congrats!

It's a great sounding amp and John King did a great job on the instructions. I've built a few as well as the big brother Ardmore amp, so if you run into any problems or have any questions, just let me (us <G>) know and we'll get you through it.

Fun ain't it?!

5. willhutch

The build is done.

I made a few mistakes along the way - soldered in wrong component once, connected a few wires to wrong terminals, spent ten minutes troubleshooting zero power before realizing I hadn't installed the fuse. But aside from that, an easy build that took about 11 hours.

The amp sounds pretty cool. There is no clean headroom, of course, but the distortion is nice and meaty. The 2 Watt mod helps a lot.

I learned a lot about the nitty gritty of amp building. Thru sheer practice I learned how to make good solder joints now.

For me, i don't find the amp particularly useful - I already own several killer amps. But it was a good way to get my feet wet. Now I'd like to take on something bigger!!

6. WaltC

WaltC Member

Sounds like you're ready for a 5E3 Deluxe tweed build!

Go for it.

There are lots of companies offering build kits and most are pretty good. Be advised that some, like Ted Weber's, don't offer much in the way of instructions or pictures (though his on-line support boards are great), and there is a great variety in quality of components and cost of the kits.

Do your homework before you buy and match the kit to your need for instructions and support and keep us posted.

BTW, I enjoy my Gilmore Jr. much more as a 1/2 watt amp than I do as a 1 or two watt version. The responsiveness, pick harmonics and sound seem much fuller and more fun as the 1/2 watt. Played it through a 4x12 cab yet <G>? Worth a try!

7. bob-i

bob-i Member

I have one of these too. It's really very nice for a little tiny amp. I built a 1x10 combo cab for it.

Good luck.

8. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Thanks for the kind regards guys. The amp is clean before ~7 on the volume control