My hands betrayed me

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by sgsupremep90, Jan 29, 2008.

1. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

Does this ever happen to you?

At a gig, playing a solo you know really well, you lose your way, wander around for a couple of bars till you recover, then finish out ok.

Happens to me 3 or so times a night. Most people don't notice, I do. Root causes: good looking women; mind wanders to something else (like the TV over the bar); brain spasm; who knows?

How often does it happen to you? What are the causes? Especially the pros.

2. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

ADHD..You should try some Ritalin to help with that..or just stop looking around so much. :)

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Yes! I catch myself looking at the TV alot. Especially if there is a good game on.

Then the singer walks over and says "How did you do that"?

"You're on fire tonight"...

Then I snap out of it wonder what I just played that wa so great... never to be repeated... lost into the bar room wilderness.

4. willhutch

willhutch Member

it's the mind, not the hands, that are betraying you. I find that I make mistakes when I think about not making mistakes. Or how good I sound. Or whether or not I look OK in whatever stage wear I have on. Or when really focus on one particular aspect of playing: "OK, I'm laying it right in the pocket...ooh yeah, behind the beat...just right..DOH!! I missed the bridge!!!"

5. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

I think that it is the mind. I can practice a line perfectly 4-5 times in a row, but in the middle of a set - boom - I go "off roading." Maybe the trick is to focus on each song as we start to play it, just as if I was practicing it, looking for perfection. Hard work to focus hard for 3 - 4 hours, especially when I am having so much fun watching people.

Does it happen to pros? Or do they just recover more quickly - after bobbling a note or three?