My Helix VS Fractal FX8 Review

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by WiresDream, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I went from the FX8 to the Helix and I'd say the OP's review is spot on.

My biggest issue with the FX8 is that when gigging, if ANYTHING came up.....I felt panicked. Looking down, you really have no clue as to what's going on. On the Helix, I've even changed a patch mid-song without even blinking an eye. Yes, the reverbs and delays are not up to the FX8's level. They're good enough....and I have confidence that Line6 will take care of that in an upcoming release whereas.

FlyingsCool and WiresDream like this.
  2. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

Went from helix to ax8. Imho, the sound quality is wayyyyy better on the ax8.

Once I learned how to work the ax8, the helix “perceived” advantage in navigating is diminished. Plus, I discovered FracPad. Actually easier to change things live than the helix.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  3. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I think the takeaway is learn to use what you have, and enjoy it. If something doesn't float your boat, try something else. Both units are capable, and in terms of effects maybe the playing feel will be even more level with the new HX reverbs in the coming firmware due around NAMM. I'm happy that the AX8 doesn't have the features I want, so I've never really considered it. Makes life easier :)

yeky83 likes this.
  4. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Most of the big box Strymon stuff is not their best SOUNDING stuff, even though it's the most flexible. The smaller pedals almost always sound better IMO.

Saying that, the Mobius has to be the most underrated pedal on the market, and that largely IMO because the presets are basically assanine.

With a bit of work, like an afternoon, you can transform it from a box that's ok for a fee things, to a huge treasure trove of inspiration.

Most people don't though, and the presets are stupid, and so it gets a lot less love than that again IMO greatly inferior Timeline.

Guitardave likes this.
  5. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

I eventually sold my FX8. I'm very happy with the Helix and a couple of Source Audio pedals (I have the Ventris and the Nemesis).

FlyingsCool and JCW308 like this.
  6. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

I had this board for a while:
    [​IMG]

My take on it was that the Big Sky was a great reverb pedal, but if I'm honest I only found a handful of the modes useful for my music. The Mobius has a ton of sounds in it but again.... I didn't really find a use for most of them. It was a glorified phaser for me!!

The Timeline is the only one where I found a range of tones that worked for our stuff. So I kept a Timeline around and sold the others. Don't really miss them.

I'm finding the Source Audio Ventris to just be more usable out of the box than the Big Sky. I can't quite explain it, but I think it has something to do with the parameter weighting and how fast I can get to what I want. The Big Sky felt a bit sluggish.

FlyingsCool and TimeSnow like this.
  7. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

What I did was create a preset for every version of every effect - knobs at 12 sort of thing - and then organized them in logical banks with easy to understand names.

That way I could try every effect available with my feet, quickly.

That lead me to using it alllll the time.

I did eventually sell it after I moved to an FX8, but it was the last thing to go.

8. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I thought I saw one of the Line-6 guys say that they are about to come out with some new reverbs in the next update. I hope this is true. At the moment I am using Cave at about 20 to 25 percent mix for most patches.

9. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

Yes, this has been confirmed by multiple beta testers. The HX reverbs are real.

TimeSnow and MIJLOVER like this.
  10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I'm looking at purchasing a Helix LT to check it out (My main concern is amp modeling, not mainly FX). I LOVE the AX8 FX and when I had a Helix and AX8 side by side in every case I liked the FX on the AX8 - more lush, more transparent. And I think this has a lot to do with how you envision your FX and what you prefer and what sounds and feels natural.
    The tuner comments are disconcerting. Nothing more important at a gig than highly useable and precise tuning.

11. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

They are both great choices...I'd go with what sounds best to you!

12. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Do you have any tips to do with the mobius to get it sounding better beyond the presets? I have one but haven’t dove into it to see if I can get it sounding better.

13. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I describe what I did above, but will lay it out in slightly more detail. Hope it helps.

1. I went through and made a list, on a piece of paper, of all of the effects, with sub types, like this:

01 Chorus - dbucket
    02 Chorus - Multi
    03 Chorus - Vibrato
    04 Chorus - Detune
    05 Chorus - Digital
    06 Chorus - Seasick
    07 Chorus - Fast

Etc.

2.Then I went and made a 'knobs at 12' preset starting at preset 50 (I think). These weren't really all knobs at 12, but instead generic versions of each. Some I had maybe 2-3 extra presets for, if there were a few classic sounds unrepresented by the generic options. e.g. I had a seasick sounding chorus, because I figure I might like to try that at some point when writing. Or maybe a chorus with the speed cranked. Etc.

That left me with the ability, with my feet, to quickly go through versions all of the available sounds pretty darn quickly. If I found what I needed, I'd just copy into my setlists and adjust to taste.

To me it was like going from a multi fx, to having a pedal board with like 25 extra pedals. Accepting I could only ever use one of them at a time.

Basically, that doubled the usefulness and use of it for me. And it got me using the more esoteric 'machines'.

Hope that's useful.

hhylkema and JiveTurkey like this.
  14. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Awesome! Yes more detail really helps. Appreciate it.

TimeSnow likes this.
  15. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

No worries :)

I wish I still had my original preset banks to share, but I don't.

It would be deadly if Mobius users got together and standardized a version, as a sort of alternative starting place for people. I know I would've used it - and the Mobius - a lot more if that had existed!

ejecta likes this.
  16. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Probably worth remembering that there is a strong pedigree between Line 6 and Strymon. The Damage Control guys were ex-Line 6 and then they became Strymon. I think Pete at Strymon (their algorithm designer) also did a bunch of DSP design for Line 6 back in the day. From around 2000 till 2004. So there is a good chance he did a whole chunk of the M-series algorithms.

FlyingsCool and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  17. born_hard

born_hard Member

Any new expreiences th elast 7 months? I want to go FX8 or Helix HX and cant decide. BUT, i want to have it in my rack and control everything with the GroundControlPro . I could put the FX8 or Helix HX in a rack tray.

18. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Sold the FX8. Kept the Helix.

19. born_hard

born_hard Member

really, which Helix? The new small one, Helix HX?
    Any may i ask why? I had the feeling the FX8 was better...

20. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

There is no Helix HX, only Helix and Helix LT. HX is effects only. :)